Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 4:59:04 PM EDT
I'm considering the purchase.  Ive considered either the mavic or the Phantom.  Most of my use will be casual but I am getting into video editing and am concerned about limiting my potential with the Mavic.  

I also would be interested in seeing one of these in action if anyone is close to the Holly Springs area of NW Georgia.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a P3 Std and a buddy has a P4. Both of us have had a spontaneous crash and both had miserable experiences with DJI customer service.

Mavic is on my list but I'll wait until something new comes out or I am taking a trip where I feel the need. For just farting around less than 1200' away you want see much difference in the experience between the P3 std and the more expensive models. The big difference is the range of the other ones are alot greater. I got my p3S to nearly a mile over a lake with direct line of sight.

At the moment, state farm will insure them pretty cheap but I suspect that program will change as they learn the realities of drone crashes.

As with any form of photography, the size of the lens and the sensor tend to make for better imagery regardless of resolution. I think the P4 or the P5 will be a better bet for someone who wants better imagery. You find most videos are spliced and edited heavily to show the best angles with the lighting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
@Muad should be in here
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Mavic and love it.

I love that I could launch it out of my pickup bed and sit inside my truck with heavy tint while flying.   No one to bother me.  My other drone, I couldn't do that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the mavic and I would suggest it over a phantom. The mavic is smaller and easier to fly. It makes much less noise in the air and much less bothersome to others. The camera isn't quite as good but you honestly won't be able to tell a huge difference. I looked at several.

As someone else posted, dji's customer service absolutely sucks. As soon as I can identify a drone from a different company that will meet my needs, I'm getting it. I do love my mavic but the times I've needed help, dji was horrible.

Another option would be to start with a sparc for half the money and upgrade to a phantom once you're would have probably done this but the sparc wasn't out when I got the mavic
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Muad should be in here
View Quote
Here I is. 

The Mavic Pro is slick, and the video it captures is impressive. But, if video and still image quality is one of your main concerns, P4 Pro is where it's at. The 1" image sensor makes a huge difference, especially in lower lighting. Also, it had a longer battery life, and in Sport mode it's a beast. The Macic has sport mode also, it's just not as fast. 

I wish you were closer, I'd let you fly both. We have each, along with two Inspire 1s (one with thermal), and we're waiting on our M210. Out of all of the DJI stuff over the years, the Inspire line is still my favorite. The Inspire 1 is a solid bird, that can be had for cheap ($1000-1500), and you can always change the camera out to various other models.

Good luck!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO, the main thing the mavic has going for it is the small form factor.  Kinda like a ccw.  You can't use it if you left it at home.  If image quality is the main goal, P4 Pro has the 1" image sensor as well as tilt and limited pan.  Mavic just has tilt.

Anyone have any feedback on the typhoon h?  I really like the 360 deg pan,  i have some concerns with image quality and reliability vs P4 pro.

Quoted:
Here I is. 

The Mavic Pro is slick, and the video it captures is impressive. But, if video and still image quality is one of your main concerns, P4 Pro is where it's at. The 1" image sensor makes a huge difference, especially in lower lighting. Also, it had a longer battery life, and in Sport mode it's a beast. The Macic has sport mode also, it's just not as fast. 

I wish you were closer, I'd let you fly both. We have each, along with two Inspire 1s (one with thermal), and we're waiting on our M210. Out of all of the DJI stuff over the years, the Inspire line is still my favorite. The Inspire 1 is a solid bird, that can be had for cheap ($1000-1500), and you can always change the camera out to various other models.

Good luck!  
View Quote
Nice equipment!  You doing this commercially?  What name do you operate under?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have Mavic.  Brother in law has Typhoon H.  

Mavic blows the H in virtually all aspects.

What really sucks about the H is that it's range is really limited.  I can fly a far ass away with confidence.  H has lousy battery life and range.

panning is no problem - just rotate the mavic lol
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IMO, the main thing the mavic has going for it is the small form factor.  Kinda like a ccw.  You can't use it if you left it at home.  If image quality is the main goal, P4 Pro has the 1" image sensor as well as tilt and limited pan.  Mavic just has tilt.

Anyone have any feedback on the typhoon h?  I really like the 360 deg pan,  i have some concerns with image quality and reliability vs P4 pro.

Nice equipment!  You doing this commercially?  What name do you operate under?
View Quote
An Aerial Viewpoint and The Drone Store (both in Ohio). 

Forgot to add we have a Spark also, which I'm not impressed with. Way overpriced. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I would choose a 3dr solo, I don't care for dji products myself. I definitely wouldn't do a phantom, I'd do a quantum instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top