Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2017 10:26:11 PM EDT
I have been really wanting to buy a Mossberg Shockwave lately but due to how state statute reads, I have been on the fence about it. I plan to use it as a range toy but also for HD. Has anywhere here purchased one? I figured I would just keep the box and original ATF letter with it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one and shot it Saturday:

The grip is the best thing about the gun. It is super comfortable, serve its purpose of controlling the rear part of the gun. The thing to worry about is the front slide/pump piece. Even with the nylon strap, the muzzle flip is tremendous. I shot a box of #7, 1 ounce shot through it and it was a bronco ride. I told a couple of people that shooting it is similar to riding a bronco without holding onto something or like riding a roller coaster without a seat belt. It is fun but scary as hell. I've shot a few shotguns in my life and I can control all conventional 12 gauge from the single shot to any pumps. Using the push pull method that Rob Haught teaches, controlling a shotgun recoil is simple, as long as you have a true stock. The stock makes a big difference in helping to leverage the gun and controlling it. I've shot my buddy's Remington 870 SBS with a 14" barrel with no difficulty. The Shockwave is different. Since it doesn't have a stock, you're shooting it off handed either from the hip or chest/nipple high or raising it to eye level but carefully keeping the rear hand grip off your face. The front hand slipped off the pump action a couple of times, even with the strap. Maybe in my old age my left hand is not as strong as it used to be. Try it yourself if you have a chance. Respect it and it won't hurt you. Regardless, don't put your rear grip near your face, I didn't and I was ok.

The gun came with a warning sticker on the box that it was designed that way and no modification should be taken, or it will fall into another category of firearms aka SBS.

As for shooting it, like I said I only shot it from the hip and chest level, in other words, point shooting. As long as I kept the distance 7 yards or less, I was able to get really impressive blasts at the targets (IDPA/USPSA). I went back to 10 yards and I tend to shoot high, above the head ! And also, the #7 bird shot pattern were pretty wide at that distance with the short barrel. At 5 to 7 yds, it would definitely tear a huge softball size or larger hole in anything you're shooting at.

I satisfied my curiosity with my short experiment and sold the gun the next day  It's fun but it really didn't fit in my scheme.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Remington version of it. The tach14. I've always wanted am AOW like this but never went thru with it.

I haven't shot it yet, but was surprised at the weight of it....
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Remington version of it. The tach14. I've always wanted am AOW like this but never went thru with it.

I haven't shot it yet, but was surprised at the weight of it....
View Quote
Where did you find the Remington version? I have been look around; but haven't located one, yet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Where did you find the Remington version? I have been look around; but haven't located one, yet.
View Quote
Clyde Armory in Athens has a lot of the Remington Tacs in stock. I went by today and bought a Shockwave from them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of the Shockwaves as well.  It is a great shotgun and I love that it holds 5+1 shots and not 4+1 like the Remington version.   It is also great that Mossberg chose to use the 590 receiver to base this off of and not the 500 series.  

As mentioned, I wouldn't modify the stock in anyway if you want it to remain compliant.   Dawsonville Gun has a Remington TAC14 and Countryfolk Superstore had some Shockwaves.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw and held the Remington TAC14 at the NRA Convention and thought I'd want one as a "toy".  Didn't get around to it but a friend showed up at River Bend with one last weekend and we put 25 or 30 birdshot and a few slugs thru it.  It was difficult to be accurate, even at 7 yards holding at the hip.  As mentioned above, you DO NOT want to hold it up near your face and try to aim.  I thanked my friend for saving me $400.00 and he indicated that he'd had enough fun with it and by now it's probably hanging on the wall of a gun store in Forsyth County.

BTW, the placement of the safety on the Remington trigger guard versus the Mossberg one on the top of the receiver does matter with this style "firearm".  I know of two people who mangled the web between their thumb and forefinger on their right hand by not holding the Mossberg Shockwave Raptor grip firmly enough.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BTW, the placement of the safety on the Remington trigger guard versus the Mossberg one on the top of the receiver does matter with this style "firearm".  I know of two people who mangled the web between their thumb and forefinger on their right hand by not holding the Mossberg Shockwave Raptor grip firmly enough.
View Quote
I heard some people had problems with the Mossberg's raptor grip.  It was the opposite for me.  I prefer it and the safety's location.  The front handguard was the problem for me to hold on to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top