Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 2:32:18 PM EDT
I have a 24 gun safe, which translates to a 12-14 gun safe with modern weapons that have pistol grips, red dots, etc.   The current configuration from the factory has the safe broken down to 12 gun slots on the left half, and 12 gun slots on the right.  

I don't want to buy another safe to replace this one, nor do I want to buy an additional safe.  But I wanted to poll the HTF to see if any of you have modified your safes to give you better access to your rifles.  Inevitably, I always want a rifle that is towards the back, and have to take everything out to get to it.   I wasn't sure if any of you have made a rotating insert for your safe, or took out the stock racks in the safe and replaced it with a different system that works better for you.

Let me know if you have had success with any safe mods.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Three tips

Use bore socks to cover your guns that way you can stack them in there. Also provides a layer of moisture/corrosion/fire protection

Invert half your rifles so they are muzzle down

Use velcro rifle rods to hold the vertical rifles straight up and down
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Remove all factory racks. Rifle rods for all. I put socks on all my wooden stock guns. Everything else just as is. Only thing I kept was the top shelf to put a pistol rack and hang pistol hangers from and small odds and ends. I also have a door organizer that just attaches with Velcro where I store mags, cans,knives and 3 uppers. I have over 30 guns in my 24 gun safe and still have some room.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Rifle rods are good but a pain.  I lay down two large ammo cans (like regular 50cal but way taller) on the bottom with the top facing front.  Remove the covers.  Some car mats on top for guns to sit on and I can put stuff in the cans since I rarely access that, like lower receivers and knives...

In one safe, I have three rails across the top attached with wire to the existing tabs that used to attach the partitions that were removed.  The rails were the vertical shelf rails from the "shelved" side that was removed.  Wire clothes hangers are bent to hook in the rails and have a small hook on the bottom, long enough to catch the sling loop plate between the buffer tube and lower.  I can hang ARs very close.  Still a first in, first out.  No lazy susan, as that would seem to waste space.  At this point, secure storage trumps convenience.

Wood-stocked guns just stand behind against the back wall.  Way fewer than the ARs.  Damned ARs seem to have sex and give birth when the safe door is closed.

Use some BIG desiccant metal jars that recharge in the oven.  Also a heat bar that seems to be worthless.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all gentlemen.  I will look at the options and see what would work best in my safe.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If you guys wouldn't mind sharing pictures of some of these setups I'd appreciate it - trying to mentally figure out the differences in your approaches.

I've got a small safe - only 12 or 16 gun (I can't remember, but I know it's too small!) and I've been pondering what to do as well as the OP. Unfortunately a larger safe just isn't in the cards at the moment so I'm trying to figure out how to better manage the rifles especially. I like the idea of putting socks over the stocks, that's a good idea. Alternating muzzle up and down when you can is a good idea too.

I did pick up a couple of the gun storage rod kits when I was at the NRAAM a few weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, so I'm open to ideas as well. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you guys wouldn't mind sharing pictures of some of these setups I'd appreciate it - trying to mentally figure out the differences in your approaches.

I've got a small safe - only 12 or 16 gun (I can't remember, but I know it's too small!) and I've been pondering what to do as well as the OP. Unfortunately a larger safe just isn't in the cards at the moment so I'm trying to figure out how to better manage the rifles especially. I like the idea of putting socks over the stocks, that's a good idea. Alternating muzzle up and down when you can is a good idea too.

I did pick up a couple of the gun storage rod kits when I was at the NRAAM a few weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, so I'm open to ideas as well. Thanks guys
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Its funny I ran across this thread. Had the same issue and got fed up with it this past weekend. I have a 32 gun field and stream safe that was full. Couldn't even shut the door full. I cleaned out all of the non essentials. Old paper stuff, coins, pistol boxes and took out some shelves and then installed some magnetic tool holders. I bought them off of ebay for $21 shipped for 4 that was 12" long each. I used 3 of them. The fire proof backing in the exterior walls did not grab as well when screwing in. So only used 1 on the back and 2 on the interior wall which was partial wood.  

I have also seen some magnetic plastic parts bins that are made for the exterior of a tool chest. Probably will pick some of them up and store small stuff in them on the side of my safe.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where did you get the Mollie door cover at? I like it.
View Quote
Wilde Custom Gear
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
For specific reasons (including a small child) my safe has to hold all my ammunition as well.  So I get one bay for rifles.

I use the top shelf for related accessories and other valuable item storage, and have pistol hangars on the underside of the shelf.  
I downsized the rifle collection (got rid of one or two that I never use) and bought a door-mounted organizer.  Mounted my go-to rifle on the door so I don't have to dig for it.
Carry gun is in a pistol vault in the nightstand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Use some BIG desiccant metal jars that recharge in the oven.  Also a heat bar that seems to be worthless.  
View Quote
The golden rods work differently than the desiccant and you shouldn't use both. The Golden rod warms the air which keeps the temperature away from the dewpoint. That is all that is required to keep your guns happy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Thanks, How much did yours cost? Says starting at $20.00. Im not at the house to check the size of my door. It looked slightly smaller than yours.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks, How much did yours cost? Says starting at $20.00. Im not at the house to check the size of my door. It looked slightly smaller than yours.
View Quote
Mines 48" high and 20" wide.  Cost was in the $150 range, plus I bought a bunch of there mag pouches etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mines 48" high and 20" wide.  Cost was in the $150 range, plus I bought a bunch of there mag pouches etc.
View Quote
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top