Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 10:59:05 AM EDT
Hello Georgia HTF!

Looking at a 4 adult 2 kid family vacation (mom and dad, 12 year old boy, 11 year old boy, 2 adult aunts) to Tybee or St. Simons or Jekyll.

Anyone have any input on which island is better/worse?  Which parts of said islands are better/worse?

For some context - we are home renters for vacations vice hotel stayers so we aren't looking at hotels.  We aren't into beach party scene so much as just spend some family time at a beach.  We don't intend to be beaching it every day either, so being right on the beach isn't as important as being able to get to the beach kind of easily.

Thanks for any input you may have!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Rent a house in East beach on St. Simon's island. It is a wonderful place.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/georgia/coastal/st-simons-island/east-beach
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rent a house in East beach on St. Simon's island. It is a wonderful place.

https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/georgia/coastal/st-simons-island/east-beach
View Quote
+1 to this.  Always enjoyed St. Simons and we always went to east beach as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Yatzee Squirrel:

+1 to this.  Always enjoyed St. Simons and we always went to east beach as well.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Yatzee Squirrel:

Agreed.
East Beach is fantastic. Jekyll is nice as well.

Bring bug spray,  Bottled water, Fishing gear, seine nets, crab traps.

St. Simons has some awful traffic during the lunch hours. Avoid driving between 10:30 am and 3:30 pm. You can bicycle to just about every place you'd want to go on St Simons in 20 minutes. Plenty of places to rent bikes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
East Beach is fantastic. Jekyll is nice as well.

Bring bug spray,  Bottled water, Fishing gear, seine nets, crab traps.

St. Simons has some awful traffic during the lunch hours. Avoid driving between 10:30 am and 3:30 pm. You can bicycle to just about every place you'd want to go on St Simons in 20 minutes. Plenty of places to rent bikes.
View Quote
How would the traffic compare to Tybee?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I live on SSI, traffic has been getting worse but its not as bad as Tybee. There are a ton of rentals through the local realtors and VRBO and Glynn County parks are pretty good if you want to take a day off from the beach but still have fun outdoors. Jekyll has come a long way with its new pier village too and I suggest having a fried shrimp basket at the Market, better than B&J's and its only $10.99. A walk on driftwood beach on Jekyll at low tide is a must.

I'd definitely bring bikes if you can, you can ride forever on the beach at low tide and we have miles of sidewalk / bike path.

If you decide on SSI shoot me a PM and I'll gladly share my thoughts on different restaurants etc., I've been here for 10 yrs and have a 14 yr old and 10 year old.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live on SSI, traffic has been getting worse but its not as bad as Tybee. There are a ton of rentals through the local realtors and VRBO and Glynn County parks are pretty good if you want to take a day off from the beach but still have fun outdoors. Jekyll has come a long way with its new pier village too and I suggest having a fried shrimp basket at the Market, better than B&J's and its only $10.99. A walk on driftwood beach on Jekyll at low tide is a must.

I'd definitely bring bikes if you can, you can ride forever on the beach at low tide and we have miles of sidewalk / bike path.

If you decide on SSI shoot me a PM and I'll gladly share my thoughts on different restaurants etc., I've been here for 10 yrs and have a 14 yr old and 10 year old.
View Quote
I sold my house on SSI about 7-8 months ago. I'll miss living there but it was the right move.

My parents live there, along with a mess of cousins/aunts/uncles.  Had family living on the island since the 50's. I am going to have to check out the Market next time I'm down there, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How would the traffic compare to Tybee?  

Thanks!
View Quote
Lived in Georgia my entire life......never been there
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to St. Simons. The feel and environment is so much better.  There are actually trees...lol.  I grew up in Savannah so ended up usually going to Tybee but my wife and her parents had property on SSI when we met, and I feel in love with the place. Bought a house down there 4 years ago and regret nothing.  Traffic is no worse than anywhere else you might go. I will say though rush hour in the evening can get hectic, but you can go just about everywhere on a golf cart or bicycle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back, went with Saint Simons Island, stayed on East Beach.  Thanks for all the input, had a great time!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top