Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 2:21:19 PM EDT
Hey fellas, the wife and I are heading down to Savannah in a few weeks for our first time. As far as ccw laws, pretty much the same as NC or is there anything big I need to be aware of? Also any must see things in the area or food places we have to try? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the NC laws, but I carried all around when I was there a few weeks ago.

We had a great dinner at Cotton and Rye. Awesome shrimp and grits. The burger and fries were incredible too.

My daughter loved the trolley tour and fort Pulaski.   She is a Girl Scout so we did the Juliet Gordon low house too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey fellas, the wife and I are heading down to Savannah in a few weeks for our first time. As far as ccw laws, pretty much the same as NC or is there anything big I need to be aware of? Also any must see things in the area or food places we have to try? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Eat at the Crab Shack out on Tybee Island, get drunk on River Street, and take a trolley tour.  Ghost tours are a good time too. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, seems like the ghost tours are big down there like they are in Charleston. We'll check out the trolley too, sounds like something the wife would enjoy.

She already wants to go to Tybee Island for the beach, anything special or cool we should know about the area?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The haunted pub crawls are a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, seems like the ghost tours are big down there like they are in Charleston. We'll check out the trolley too, sounds like something the wife would enjoy.

She already wants to go to Tybee Island for the beach, anything special or cool we should know about the area?
View Quote
We were on the beach at Tybee near the pier and it was disgusting...lots of litter and trash...and people smoking. Not a pleasant time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop into Kevin Barry's pub, grab a pint and check out the second floor hall of heroes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We were on the beach at Tybee near the pier and it was disgusting...lots of litter and trash...and people smoking. Not a pleasant time.
View Quote
Hmm, that doesn't sound like the fancy beach the wife is thinking it will be. I'm not a huge fan of the beach anyway, but we'll be going for sure. Hope her experience is better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmm, that doesn't sound like the fancy beach the wife is thinking it will be. I'm not a huge fan of the beach anyway, but we'll be going for sure. Hope her experience is better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest, this was the first time that it was like this.
Also, we had just gotten back from the pristine beach at Cumberland Island, so nothing would compare.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Any favorite hotels? Goin to take my wife for a few days in July.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as hotels I think there is a Hampton inn rite across from river street me and the wife stayed at one time nice place parking deck rite next door and from the hotel cross over one street and down some stairs and you were on river street
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Ft. Pulaski is well worth the trip, there is a Dolphin cruise that departs real close to the fort it was like 20 bucks a person, the beaches on tybee are meh mostly because the water is  murky, the riverfront is good, we eat at 1790 resturant  It's a little more expensive but very good food.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Eat at the Crab Shack out on Tybee Island, get drunk on River Street, and take a trolley tour.  Ghost tours are a good time too. 
View Quote
Nailed it. And I recommend Wet Willie's for the "get drunk on River Street" portion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
As long as you are not going this weekend, you'll enjoy it.  This weekend, Tybee will be unwillingly hosting a massive spring break party, which has caused some trouble in the past. 

Things worth doing on Tybee:  Kayak rentals at the marina, they have group tours that leave out in the morning that are good if you don't know where you're paddling to.  Dolphin tours leave out of the same marina if you're not feeling energetic. The lighthouse is a good tourist must see, as is Fort Pulaski.  The bait and tackle shack at the end of the pier will rent you some fishing gear and supply you with bait if you like to fish but are not taking your own gear.  It's a good time of year to be fishing, I got a nice bull red there a few weeks ago, and whiting are hitting pretty well. 

If you will only be eating one meal on Tybee, do make it the crab shack as mentioned and get the boil, but if you have a few slots open, AJ's dockside is nice (scored fried whole flounder with Thai chili sauce), and Huck-A-Poo pizza is a neat little spot, right in the middle of a bunch of little stores your wife will like. Fannies on the beach has a nice dining area upstairs with some live entertainment on weekends.  Fannies good food, lots of it, and cheaper than it should be.   If it's just adults, Doc's bar is a neat place to see a live band, and Benny's is good for after you had too many drinks at Doc's and feel like singing Karaoke.  Benny's has the added bonus of converting to a breakfast place and church on Sunday mornings.  "Cheap breakfast, free coffee, and free Jesus" is the sign they put out front.

The whole town has a nice slightly rusty, older beach town feel, it's not all fancy condos (there are a few) and valet parking like some of the nearby beach towns, but I love the place, and am there as often as possible.  Hope you guys have fun. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As long as you are not going this weekend, you'll enjoy it.  This weekend, Tybee will be unwillingly hosting a massive spring break party, which has caused some trouble in the past. 

Things worth doing on Tybee:  Kayak rentals at the marina, they have group tours that leave out in the morning that are good if you don't know where you're paddling to.  Dolphin tours leave out of the same marina if you're not feeling energetic. The lighthouse is a good tourist must see, as is Fort Pulaski.  The bait and tackle shack at the end of the pier will rent you some fishing gear and supply you with bait if you like to fish but are not taking your own gear.  It's a good time of year to be fishing, I got a nice bull red there a few weeks ago, and whiting are hitting pretty well. 

If you will only be eating one meal on Tybee, do make it the crab shack as mentioned and get the boil, but if you have a few slots open, AJ's dockside is nice (scored fried whole flounder with Thai chili sauce), and Huck-A-Poo pizza is a neat little spot, right in the middle of a bunch of little stores your wife will like. Fannies on the beach has a nice dining area upstairs with some live entertainment on weekends.  Fannies good food, lots of it, and cheaper than it should be.   If it's just adults, Doc's bar is a neat place to see a live band, and Benny's is good for after you had too many drinks at Doc's and feel like singing Karaoke.  Benny's has the added bonus of converting to a breakfast place and church on Sunday mornings.  "Cheap breakfast, free coffee, and free Jesus" is the sign they put out front.

The whole town has a nice slightly rusty, older beach town feel, it's not all fancy condos (there are a few) and valet parking like some of the nearby beach towns, but I love the place, and am there as often as possible.  Hope you guys have fun. 
View Quote
Thanks for the ideas man, some of that sound pretty promising. We are expecting a baby girl in September so the drinking will probably be kept to one brewery or so, don't want to rub it in the wife's nose too badly since she cant drink at the moment. The live music sounds good though, and of course the shopping. She'll be happy enough just roasting out on the beach, she's not too hard to please in that regard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh almost forgot, any restrictions as far as carrying onto the actual beach? Or should I leave it locked in the Jeep?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh almost forgot, any restrictions as far as carrying onto the actual beach? Or should I leave it locked in the Jeep?
View Quote
the beach should be fine but I'd skip a leather holster if you plan on going into thr water ...
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Service Brewery is getting really good IMO.

They have an Oyster Stout that is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Crab Shack on tybee
can take a picture on the end of U.S. 80,
Savannah smiles (dueling piano bar), wet willies for an icy adult beverage of choice on river street, Bonaventure cemetery, fort pulaski, the squares in old savannah, city market,  the pirate house,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top