Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2017 11:10:29 AM EDT
It is now off to Governor Deals desk for a signature.

He lied to us last year, but hopefully he won't do it again this year.

Please give his office a call at 404-656-1776 and encourage him to sign the bill.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Calling it campus carry is a bit disingenuous. The Georgiapacking thread has much more detail but basically this bill is so watered down as to essentially prevent faculty and students from carrying due to how the off-limits places are worded.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Calling it campus carry is a bit disingenuous. The Georgiapacking thread has much more detail but basically this bill is so watered down as to essentially prevent faculty and students from carrying due to how the off-limits places are worded.
View Quote
I agree 100%, but unfortunately politics are often about compromise.

Either way, this is a step in the right direction and we want Gov Deal to sign it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Either way, this is a step in the right direction and we want Gov Deal to sign it.
View Quote
I agree it's a foot in the door, so to speak.

I, for one, will certainly be speaking to my legislators about paring down the exemptions list next year.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The SO does post grad lab work frequently and this will cover her so I'm happy. Hopefully we can make incremental changes to this next session.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got a link to the GAPacking thread?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The SO does post grad lab work frequently and this will cover her so I'm happy. Hopefully we can make incremental changes to this next session.
View Quote
Yep! Gotta take what we can get!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The big question to me is my truck off limits.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got a link to the GAPacking thread?
View Quote
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?t=271946
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The big question to me is my truck off limits.
View Quote
Your truck hasn't been off limits for a while now.

As the current law sits, you can leave a gun in your car on campus if you have a GWL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As the current law sits, you can leave a gun in your car on campus if you have a GWL.
View Quote
I know my personal truck is fine, I mean my UGA truck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That probably won't change.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ah, gotcha. Didn't realize you worked there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Another thing to remember is this bill only covers handguns. Any other sort of weapon is still illegal even with a license (including small pocketknives).
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Another thing to remember is this bill only covers handguns. Any other sort of weapon is still illegal even with a license (including small pocketknives).
View Quote
Small pocket knives are illegal on GA college campuses? I must live under a rock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Pocket knives are fine as long as the blade is under 4in as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pocket knives are fine as long as the blade is under 4in as far as I know.
View Quote
Negative. The school prohibition has a different definition then the rest of GA law. See 16-11-127.1, which defines a bladed weapon as having a blade length greater than 2". So basically anything larger than a penknife.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting, before 2016 that wasn't UGA policy, they'll have to arrest 90% of crop and soil sciences if they enforce it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know what's taking so long? 

Is Governor Deal just going to wait and veto it on the last day again, or is he going to sign it already? 

As I understand it, if he doesn't do anything it will go into affect on May 15th which is 40 days after April 5th when the Bill was introduced. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Deal is waiting
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#21]
My coffee deprived thought is ...... Gov. Deal will sign the bill at the NRA Convention.   The audience will give him a standing ovation and cheer his name like Caesar.    

Unknown to the majority of NRA members, they will be cheering for the leading defender of gun control in Georgia.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#22]
If Governor Deal doesn't sign or veto the bill it will automatically become law of the land.  Deals not running for election and has already voiced and shown that he does not like the idea of campus carry.  I'm no profit but in my opinion Deal will not sign it and allow it to pass in to law by default.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I, for one, will certainly be speaking to my legislators about paring down the exemptions list next year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Apparently Gov Deal just recently signed Campus Carry - woohoo!! Finally. Glad he didn't chicken out like last year.
AJC article
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
That's great news.    

It's a far cry from what we should have gotten from a guy who campaigned as being pro-gun.  But come July 1, students will be able to protect themselves in many more places than they can today.

Deal is a liar and unworthy of respect!

I just hope we didn't lose our big chance because he decided to be Georgia's Leading Defender of Gun Control (tm)
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Apparently Gov Deal just recently signed Campus Carry - woohoo!! Finally. Glad he didn't chicken out like last year.
AJC article
View Quote
Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sure I will get an email from the board of regents in the morning full of autistic screeching.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad to see this signed into law!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
So where do I read the bullet points? I'm an IT contractor that does long-ish stints with higher ed oraganizations. I sometimes am provided an office for months on end. Anything in there for a role like mine?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#30]
If think admin & faculty offices are still off limits, but I'm no lawyer - I can't tell if it's only when dealing with actual disciplenary hearings and functions or all admin/faculty spaces.

Original text of HB 280 - see line 36-68
Section 20-2-161.3;
37 (v) Not apply to faculty, staff, or administrative offices or rooms where disciplinary
38 proceedings are conducted;
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I work at a GA university as an IT worker.
Can I finally carry in my office now?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#32]
From the local news station:

HB 280 prohibits the carrying of a concealed weapon by anyone, including weapons carry license holders, on the following areas of a college campus:
- Buildings or property used for athletic sporting events;
- Student housing, including but not limited to dormitories, fraternity and sorority houses;
- Any preschool or childcare space;
- Any room or space being used for classes related to a college and career academy or other specialized school;
- Any room or space used for classes in which high school students are enrolled through a dual enrollment program, including, but not limited to, classes related to the “Move on When Ready Act”;
- Any faculty, staff, or administrative offices; and,
- Rooms where disciplinary proceedings are conducted.

Basically, this only helps you if you're a visitor walking through a college campus.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
From the local news station:

HB 280 prohibits the carrying of a concealed weapon by anyone, including weapons carry license holders, on the following areas of a college campus:
- Buildings or property used for athletic sporting events;
- Student housing, including but not limited to dormitories, fraternity and sorority houses;
- Any preschool or childcare space;
- Any room or space being used for classes related to a college and career academy or other specialized school;
- Any room or space used for classes in which high school students are enrolled through a dual enrollment program, including, but not limited to, classes related to the “Move on When Ready Act”;
- Any faculty, staff, or administrative offices; and,
- Rooms where disciplinary proceedings are conducted.

Basically, this only helps you if you're a visitor walking through a college campus.
View Quote
So restrictive that it doesn't do squat.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#34]

I'm not really sure what this means "a college and career academy or other specialized school" - does that mean ANY classroom on a campus??

So now the onus is on us - the responsibly armed citizen - to ensure there are no high schoolers present? Wow, that's a fun one. I can see how this probably was argued in committee - "Look, high schoolers are only taking low level classes, and you have to be 21+ to have a GWL so those folks would be in the higher level classes meaning there shouldn't be any cross over of those two student groups" - but geez, the presence of someone who is potentially dual enrolled means that those are are already in college lose their right to have a weapon? Ugh.

Look, I'm thankful - I know some folks, especially Luke, have worked for years on this and I'm thankful that they have. I hope that in the future we'll be able to expand this and reduce the number of restrictions that are still in place after this legislation becomes law.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The email really wasn't that bad ,
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I read somewhere that first offense is a $25 fine. If that's correct, they've effectively decriminalized it to the point of a parking ticket and you should think of it as on par with going a few miles over the speed limit. 4 years of actual training in concealment!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#37]

The GCO 'Rekingball'.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that first offense is a $25 fine. If that's correct, they've effectively decriminalized it to the point of a parking ticket and you should think of it as on par with going a few miles over the speed limit. 4 years of actual training in concealment!
View Quote
Keep in mind that while the penalty is only $25 for a first offense, it is still a misdemeanor conviction which goes on your record. Any subsequent offenses are normal misdemeanors which carry up to 1 year jail time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I work at a GA university as an IT worker.
Can I finally carry in my office now?
View Quote
Nope.   Faculty and staff offices are a nono
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So restrictive that it doesn't do squat.
View Quote
So true.  You can carry in open areas, the library, dining halls and a few other areas.  Lots of classrooms will be no carry because of the number of joint enrolled HS students.

So, if there is a little one in your class you really cant carry across campus to go to your class .....

Will be interesting to see how the BOR applies the new law
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So true.  You can carry in open areas, the library, dining halls and a few other areas.  Lots of classrooms will be no carry because of the number of joint enrolled HS students.

So, if there is a little one in your class you really cant carry across campus to go to your class .....

Will be interesting to see how the BOR applies the new law
View Quote
Surely there won't be any HS students in my upper-level accounting and finance classes right? So this only applies to community college and people who aren't taking upper level classes yet? 

And does "Space" mean the entire building? If I'm in building like Aderhold taking Intermediate Accounting 3 on the 3rd floor, but there's an English 1101 with a few dual enrollment students on the 1st floor, does that mean I can't even carry in Aderhold? How the hell am I expected to know if there are any dual enrollment students in the building? 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Surely there won't be any HS students in my upper-level accounting and finance classes right? So this only applies to community college and people who aren't taking upper level classes yet? 

And does "Space" mean the entire building? If I'm in building like Aderhold taking Intermediate Accounting 3 on the 3rd floor, but there's an English 1101 with a few dual enrollment students on the 1st floor, does that mean I can't even carry in Aderhold? How the hell am I expected to know if there are any dual enrollment students in the building? 
View Quote
The central office and the BOR will work out the rules with  the lawyers.  It will be very interesting to  see what they come up with.  And yes, there are dual enrolled HS students in upper level courses
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
How many joint enrolled High School students are taking classes with 21yo+ college students?  21 is the legal age to get a GWL IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How many joint enrolled High School students are taking classes with 21yo+ college students?  21 is the legal age to get a GWL IIRC.
View Quote
I don't think it'll have any relevance. The BoR will interpret it loosely that any classroom building has the potential to be joint enrolled and GCO or NRA will file a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't think it'll have any relevance. The BoR will interpret it loosely that any classroom building has the potential to be joint enrolled and GCO or NRA will file a lawsuit.
View Quote
I fear you're probably correct. Hopefully the court won't have to somehow kick it back to the legislature for clarification (not that I 'm sure they can do that, I'm definitely not a lawyer), but that would seem to be re-opening the can of worms. Ugh.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet you're right.  The BOR will make this as difficult as possible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:The BoR will interpret it loosely that any classroom building has the potential to be joint enrolled and GCO or NRA will file a lawsuit.
View Quote
GeorgiaCarry doesn't let Legislative victories be erased by government officials.     It'll happily sue.

As much as I'm sickened by the gotcha zones that Governor Gun Control demanded, come July 1st we will be able to lawfully carry in more places than we can today.   Plus, we don't have to fear accidentally crossing the invisible campus line anymore (not that I did, but).   That's a win!

Speaking of GCO .... while the focus was on campus carry,   GCO also worked to get HB292 passed.    That bill will impact us a lot.  It provides:

* it prohibits “financial services” from discriminating against persons or companies in the firearms business.

* Changes the definition of a knife to a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than 12 inches in length which is fastened to a handle.  Previous definition was a blade greater than 5? in length.    <A YUGE WIN FOR KNIFE RIGHTS>

* Provides that any instructor who lawfully instructs, educates, or trains a person in the safe, proper, or technical use of a firearm shall be immune from civil liability for any injuries caused by the failure of such person to use such firearm properly or lawfully.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#48]
The guidance I received today stated that all offices of Faculty, Staff, and Administrators are off limits, however the classrooms are off limits only when high schoolers are present and disciplinary spaces are only off limits during disciplinary action. The BOR also stated it will not be posting signs on any building.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top