Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 6:28:35 PM EDT
Young goats, that is.

Looking at buying 2 young goats for my daughter.  Maybe Pygmy goats, but no necessarily.  Gonna raise them in the backyard til they get bigger, then move them to my buddy's 7 acres down the road.

Anyplace y'all recommend in the Cobb/Paulding/Barrow area I can look?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Check Craigslist, just search for goats on the main page. Someone on Florence Road in Powder Springs has a "goats for sale" sign out occasionally.

Farmers and Consumers Market Bulleting always has some but you have to subscribe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The Georgia Market Bulletin would have quite a few folks selling them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a well known Roswell cop who is older and retired that periodically has them for sale at chaffin and hardscrabble.

Any Roswell officer will know the place and who it is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
"The girl, how much for the little girl"

Sorry the first thing I thought bbc of was the line from the Blues Brothers as Jake and Elroy are getting the "Band" back together.

Seriously check Market  Bullentin
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Some dude around the corner from me has a small herd. If you strike out let me know and I'll ask him. Northern Forsyth County.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
So you're going to raise terrorists then give them to your buddy? Does he suspect anything
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Young goats, that is.

Looking at buying 2 young goats for my daughter.  Maybe Pygmy goats, but no necessarily.  Gonna raise them in the backyard til they get bigger, then move them to my buddy's 7 acres down the road.

Anyplace y'all recommend in the Cobb/Paulding/Barrow area I can look?
View Quote

if you can wait a while my female may pop some out
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of the way for you but there's a place in Dacula on Harbins Road (towards the Athens-end) that has goats and a for sale sign.  I'll see if I can find it...
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I think those are called "coyote bait", planning on doing some hunting? :-)  Ex-brother-in-law and his family tried having goats over on the far side of Huntsville, AL, lost them all to coyotes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Just looked in Feb 1 Market Bulletin, everything is Hogansville, Hampton,Byron,Gainesville,Commerce,Sparta.  I thought goats were like $50 ....wrong
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

if you can wait a while my female may pop some out
View Quote

I'm in no hurry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:55:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think those are called "coyote bait", planning on doing some hunting? :-)  Ex-brother-in-law and his family tried having goats over on the far side of Huntsville, AL, lost them all to coyotes.
View Quote

While they're at my place, they'll be in a yard with a very large GSD and a slightly smaller GSD/husky mix.   Should be good to go.  

At my buddy's they'll be in with a llama.  Again, GTG!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

guy i know raised goats on a farm for a few years. he had some sort of herd/guard dog (great Pyrenees i think). he said that nothing lived very long if it got close to those goats and the dogs. the dogs didnt like people much. would tolerate the guy and his wife but their main thing was those goats.

he also said 'goat maintenance' was not fun. they had to be treated for various maladies and so forth the to be kept healthy.

and they will eat anything that even looks like a plant. supposedly great for removing kudza as they will pull the plant roots and all and eat every last bit. places i have seen that had goats had a sort of 'scorched earth' look once the goats goat down to eating. and they will climb trees to eat the bark and leaves off a tree once they finish with everything on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm confused.  You want to trade your daughter for two goats?

All I know about goats is they HATE the rain and require good cover, and they can escape from Alcatraz.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a goat sale in Cartersvillle out near Creekside Firing range.  I think it runs every other Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Goat lore for the uninitiated:

1.) Dogs and goats typically don't mix well. There are a very few exceptions. (Emus and goats do fine together, and emus will definitely keep the coyotes away!)

2.) Goats do indeed hate water in all forms, including rain. (Think cat mentality toward water.)

3.) A single, lonely, goat/kid, can make enough non-stop ruckus to raise the dead!!! EVERY neighbor within at least a half mile radius, depending on terrain, up to a mile, will know that your goat/kid is not a happy camper. (This is not an exaggeration!)

4.) A fence, no matter how well constructed, is merely a suggestion to a goat. If they EVER find a way over, under, or through, you will never keep them at home if there is more greenery on the other side. (Think neighbors' bushes, flowers, or gardens.)

5.) Billy goats are sneaky, cantankerous, dangerous, and RANK!!! Never turn your back on a billy, and never mess with his horns. Watching one urinate on his beard several times each day will give you insight as to why they have that certain pungent aroma.

6.) There is absolutely nothing, on God's green earth, that is cuter than baby goats at play!!!! (Baby goats at rest is a very close second!)

<= raised goats for nearly 10 years and had as many as 43 at one time. See item #4 as to why I no longer have goats. See item #6 as to why it's so tempting to forget #s 1-5 and start another herd.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Shep,

I think kaizer's wife sells goats.

Might want to PM him.

b
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Goat lore for the uninitiated:

1.) Dogs and goats typically don't mix well. There are a very few exceptions. (Emus and goats do fine together, and emus will definitely keep the coyotes away!)

2.) Goats do indeed hate water in all forms, including rain. (Think cat mentality toward water.)

View Quote
I got one point right - water/rain.  Frankly, based on this, I have crossed off goats from my list of possible pets.  On the brighter side, I would entertain an Emu!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
It's been a while, but last time I visited you were in a nice big neighborhood with what I assume is a nice big HOA.  No issues with goats in the back yard?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's been a while, but last time I visited you were in a nice big neighborhood with what I assume is a nice big HOA.  No issues with goats in the back yard?
View Quote

Probably!   I don't plan on keeping them at the house long.  Once they start growing a bit, they'll go to my buddy's horse pasture down the road.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Just had 2 ewes pop out lambs this morning.
I'll never have goats again...just sayin'
Not.Worth.
This is the fencing you need:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top