Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 2:30:08 PM EDT
Hey guys, work really wants me back in the office (been working from home the last 10+ years) and that would mean a move to Norcross or thereabouts.  Was in TX for about 10yrs, up here in Alaska since late April of last year.  Anything I need to know about the area before diving in?

Gun/knife laws - all good (SBRs, cans, auto-knives, mags)

Hunting - seems like fairly standard rules for hunting (with the exception of cans).  Hunting with an SBR is fine.  Hunting with a silencer is fine on private property only?  Am I reading that part right?  Hunting at night with NV looks to be ok on private land only?  Any opportunity for public land hunting relatively nearby (2 or 3hrs)?

Shooting ranges?  I see a couple indoor places in the area, anything outdoor for longer range shooting?  200+ at least

What else do I need to know?  Any tips on areas to look at for housing if I'll be working in Norcross?  Prefer to keep commute to about 30mins each way.

Appreciate it guys!  Supposed to know more in a week or two I think.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Prefer to keep commute to about 30mins each way.
View Quote

Good because you don't want to live in Norcross.

Here's a past thread with info: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/582979_Moving_to_ATL_area.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good because you don't want to live in Norcross.

Here's a past thread with info: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/582979_Moving_to_ATL_area.....
View Quote
Awesome, thank you sir.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Even trying to stay within a 30 minute commute may be difficult if you're trying to stay out of the noisier parts of town, the entire I-85 corridor around Norcross is pretty screwed traffic-wise.  I've had times going over to the Norcross area where it could take 30 minutes just going a few miles.  A lot of the more ethnic population is moving up the Buford Highway corridor from Chamblee (Chambodia) up through Norcross and starting to encroach up into Duluth, so everybody moved north of that area and now tries to commute south, with only three main arteries to use - I-85, Buford Highway, and Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.  I've turned down several job opportunities that would require I commute to that area (or even north of there, to Duluth or Lawrenceville, I'm on the northwest side of Atlanta instead of the northeast side where Norcross is, but I used to live just south of Norcross off of Pleasantdale Road).
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The last job I had put me in Norcross several times a week. (all over Atl actually)

There's no way in hell I'd ever want to live there.

You can't honestly determine drive times based on distance... ANYWHERE near or around Atlanta... Especially if you are on 85/285/985

If geography says it's a 30 minute ride... you can figure an hour or more.

Just a short ride from the Suwanee area to Norcross would often take me an hour.

Maybe you can negotiate a deal with your employer that puts you in the office only a few days a week... and working from home as often as possible.

My GF does the WFH thing at least every Friday, provided she doesn't get roped in to a meeting.
This week she works from home Mon/Tues and Friday.
We live in Cumming. She works in Roswell, I work in Buford. Both almost the exact same distance in miles. (19mi)
My ride is typically 35 minutes in, 45 minutes home. I run across Buford Dam Rd to stay off the major roads. (Rt20)

She usually takes an hour getting to/from work... sometimes 1hr 10min. She has to run Rt400 north and south between exit 13 and exit 7.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
It would have to be a damn good job to get me out of AK to go to Norcross.
Daaaaaaaaaammmmmnnn goooood.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I am an real estate agent let me know if I can help. Good luck with the move. 
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It would have to be a damn good job to get me out of AK to go to Norcross.
Daaaaaaaaaammmmmnnn goooood.
View Quote
That's the rub, I either move or lose my job.  Pay would hopefully be somewhere around $80k...if they agree with an increase
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate the input guys, definitely some homework to do.  Once I talk to the boss next week, will gather intel from some more folks out of that office too.  Hopefully make a trip down there at some point soon too, check it out in person.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in what used to be Norcross, and is now Peachtree Corners. 

Downtown Norcross is the only area of Norcross I would consider living, and its still on the border of rough parts of town.

Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, Cumming, Sugarloaf etc. are all close by and excellent area to live....but traffic will still be a nightmare. 

Shoot me a message if you have more specific questions or want to chat on the phone about the area.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I live in what used to be Norcross, and is now Peachtree Corners. 

Downtown Norcross is the only area of Norcross I would consider living, and its still on the border of rough parts of town.

Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, Cumming, Sugarloaf etc. are all close by and excellent area to live....but traffic will still be a nightmare. 

Shoot me a message if you have more specific questions or want to chat on the phone about the area.
View Quote

This. Peachtree Corners is very nice, I've had my business here over 15 years. Traffic can be very difficult in the surrounding area but not unmanageable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Come to Chamblee.  The area north of Peachtree Blvd. (Huntley Hills, Keswick Park, Sexton Woods, etc.) all are nice middle to upper-middle class neighborhoods with good schools. You'd have a good reverse commute to Norcross.  Good access downtown if you want to head that way, and lots of new developments coming out of the ground near the MARTA station.

Dunwoody or Brookhaven would work as well, but would also be a bit more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I've commuted from Lawrenceville to Norcross tech park area, and if I was in the office by 7 and out by 4, it was 30ish minute drive. Talk to your boss about flexible hours. That helps as well. There are parts of Lawrenceville that are still fine, by my neighborhood is steadily going down hill. Really sucks because I paid off my house a few years ago.

I-85 and 316 are a disaster in the mornings. I turned down a new job with a 20% raise in December because it was in Buckhead, and they wanted me in the office 5 days a week. I'm in IT, we work shitty hours usually. Couldn't put myself through an additional 10-20 hours of commute time per week.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Boss made an offer today, so unless the wife flat out says "no", looks like we are headed down to Georgia
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in Peachtree Corners, used to be part of Norcross,  Try looking here or Berkeley lake, both very close to Norcross.  Downtown Norcross is very nice, but the rest is a little on the rough side, I wouldn't even say rough, but it might not be your preferred demographic.  Lots of low rent apartment complexes ect... Duluth, Johns creek, Suwanee are also not too far from Norcross.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like Gentleman beat me to the punch....
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
80k is not enough to get me to move to norcross.

Just say'in...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just say'in...
View Quote
lol so what about surrounding areas, that enough to get you to move to one of those?  Seems nice enough in the surrounding areas from the folks I've talked to and the notes I've seen on here
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just say'in...
View Quote

I moved to Norcross for far less. So far it hasn't been so bad.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]
We're optimistically excited about it   I've got some cousins down in Warner Robins, extended family of sorts in Marietta.  Plus we haven't lived on the east coast yet, so this will give us a better opportunity to check it out as well.

Will crack open some bottles of bourbon once we're in town   Boss is trying to find a bottle of Pappy to give me as a gift for finally giving in to moving back to the office, so we'll see if he comes through.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We're optimistically excited about it   I've got some cousins down in Warner Robins, extended family of sorts in Marietta.  Plus we haven't lived on the east coast yet, so this will give us a better opportunity to check it out as well.

Will crack open some bottles of bourbon once we're in town   Boss is trying to find a bottle of Pappy to give me as a gift for finally giving in to moving back to the office, so we'll see if he comes through.
View Quote
Just realized we have been talking on FB too. 

Look forward to your arrival!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top