Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2016 11:16:31 AM EDT
Heard Blairsville is out of gasoline due to pipeline break. Station at walmart here was out of everything but the ethanol free.Station was a madhouse this morning.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
QT on 20 by the hospital in Cumming was out of gas when I drove by an hour ago but the other stations I passed had gas. I filled up at Kroger this morning.
There's a big thread in GD about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Just heard the Gov. say this was a "state of emergency...like a mini-hurricane."

AL, TN and GA Declare State of Emergency

this happened a while back up north here with some gas pipeline--where I then went out and bought LOCKING GAS CAPS for all my vehicles.

back then I caught one SOB trying to swipe a 5 gal can of gas outta my barn in broad daylight! ...he didn't get too far humping 5 gals of gas....easy to run to ground!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The Kroger in Jasper ran out today.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Gas is running out in Locust Grove.  A BP station down the street from me near Jenkinsburg said if a truck doesn't arrive tonight they will be out of gas as well.

I filled up all three of my cars, hope this doesn't last long.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Shit!  I know I've got less than half a tank and I'm out of town until tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this why gas prices jumped?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this why gas prices jumped?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shit!  I know I've got less than half a tank and I'm out of town until tomorrow evening.
View Quote

I have 25 gallons in my reserve stash.  I'll sell 'em $4 a gallon to you :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the first I've heard about it. Been out of town most of the week but I did notice the higher gas prices on my way home from the airport.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
this is why i have several of these (15 gallon drums). got into this for two reasons, first the hurricane several years ago and secondly i sometimes run e85 in one of my cars (tuned turbo) and i like to keep it stored instead of driving a distance just to top off.

they are starting to run out in marietta. several places i checked only had low grade, mid and high test out. both of my cars are turbo's so i need the  top grade.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What a sucky time for my 49 mpg diesel daily driver to get totaled! I'm 35 miles one way to work and now driving my 79 jeep Cherokee everyday!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
BPs near Dunwoody have been dry since last night but found some at Shell.  Filled up the cars yesterday thinking this could turn out like the 2008 shortage.  Back then i rode a bike (the pedaling type) to class
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Both Krogers in PTC are out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Where all is this supposed to affect? I've got everything I could want in my AO near Savannah.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where all is this supposed to affect? I've got everything I could want in my AO near Savannah.
View Quote

So far it's in the Atlanta and Augusta metro areas.  Those two are on the Colonial Pipeline route.  Savannah may not be getting most of their fuel from that pipeline, maybe from a different source.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My Kroger (8 miles east of Canton (Macedonia)) had a gas truck there at 7PM so that should be good at least right now.   I filled up Wed so i'm good for 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
https://helena.colonialresponse.com/

In case you wanna see the company response and progress
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Any reports along I-75 coming out of FL? My wife is supposed to be driving home from her father's house today. She says FL was fine yesterday, but filled up to be safe. Unfortunately she can't make it home on one tank of gas. She's hoping to fill up again at the FL line, or in south GA, and bring it home on fumes.

Anybody know how the fuel situation looks in south GA? Or middle GA for that matter? I'd hate for her to leave from down there and end up getting stranded!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#19]
the blowout and spill:

Aerial photo of two of the three mine water retention ponds at the site of a pipeline leak that spilled an estimated 250,000 gallons of gasoline in Shelby County, Ala. The retention pond on the right is where the gasoline has been contained. (Courtesy Colonial Pipeline)
View Quote

BillyMcDanal--Landowner Near the Spill
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any reports along I-75 coming out of FL? My wife is supposed to be driving home from her father's house today. She says FL was fine yesterday, but filled up to be safe. Unfortunately she can't make it home on one tank of gas. She's hoping to fill up again at the FL line, or in south GA, and bring it home on fumes.

Anybody know how the fuel situation looks in south GA? Or middle GA for that matter? I'd hate for her to leave from down there and end up getting  
View Quote

Middle and south GA have a pipeline branch that extends almost to Florida. Whether it comes off off Colonial or Plantation, or both, I don't know. That may make the difference. But Florida gets fuel shipped across the gulf.

The terminals have days' worth of gasoline and diesel on hand at all times, but the frenzy has caused increased demand, so...

They're really lucky the pipeline failed in an area where a retention pond could hold the full 250,000 gallons of product. People don't realize that the very same Colonial and Plantation pipelines pass through their neighborhoods, next to school playgrounds, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Douglasville area is starting to be affected. Several stations are out, including the ones I use regularly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Douglasville area is starting to be affected. Several stations are out, including the ones I use regularly.
View Quote

Found the same in my area, between D'ville and Carrollton. Only one station I found that has gas now but will only sell $25 worth at an inflated price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Anybody know how the fuel situation looks in south GA? Or middle GA for that matter? I'd hate for her to leave from down there and end up getting stranded!
View Quote

South ga is fine, some of Perry is out of gas.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Stations in the ATL metro have started to ration gas, some place only 10 gallon per car.  Some stations have jacked up the price to $4.59 or higher.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Should I chance driving from Newnan to Augusta tomorrow afternoon? How's the gas supply along I 20?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to telework till this shit gets fixed, I can't make the daily commute from Cartersville to Marietta driving my truck without having to fill up every few days.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]

#2 is up it's just #1 that was affected. #2 carries different distillates but with the right buffers they can push non-kerosene/non-diesel in #2. Also, this time of year, there should be slack in #2 so gasoline could still flow in #2 at a reduced rate (if they reallocate the pushes) and over the road tankering is possible too. I'd imagine things will settle down after the "shock" of the weekend.  

Quoted:

So far it's in the Atlanta and Augusta metro areas.  Those two are on the Colonial Pipeline route.  Savannah may not be getting most of their fuel from that pipeline, maybe from a different source.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Savannah also can take ocean going tankered fuel.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Should I chance driving from Newnan to Augusta tomorrow afternoon? How's the gas supply along I 20?
View Quote

For the time being we have gas at exit #114 Madison/Hwys 129 & 441 on I-20. Nearly all the stations had a car at each pump, with one or two folks appearing to be waiting their turns. The price currently ranges from $1.99 - $2.19, and I have heard of no rationing yet. My wife will be filling up when she gets home tonight and I'll try to update this then.

Obviously things are in flux. I'm of the opinion that if the trip is not necessary, I'd prolly put it off a few days to let things settle down a bit. But, if you can't wait, and happen to be near Madison, and get desperate, I've got a can with a few gallons in it out at the range.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel very fortunate that I can telecommute as much as I want. Do have to go into the office and lay hands on some equipment. Might ride my bicycle for the fun of it.

Question for the fuel nerds. Is there a way to reliably store gasoline for long periods of time? I'd probably keep ~ 20 gallons at the most.

From these pics, looks like a massive response.

https://helena.colonialresponse.com/imagesvideo/
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]
No one out in the Waycross area that I know of, and no long lines. There was a tanker truck at the Flash Foods at the corner of Corridor Z (SR520) and US1 this morning, so fuel is coming in.

Prices however have gone up about a quarter over the past two days.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I was coming from range this afternoon in Jasper and wife called about this and said to fill up. Checked multiple gas stations vicinity Jasper and only with fuel left was Kroger so I was able to fill up. Came home and took my wife's car to Canton GA and found one out of the way small station that only had Premium left and filler her car up. Going to be very interesting to see impact in Atlanta when all the commuters cannot get fuel to commute. Probably teleworking a few days.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I feel very fortunate that I can telecommute as much as I want. Do have to go into the office and lay hands on some equipment. Might ride my bicycle for the fun of it.

Question for the fuel nerds. Is there a way to reliably store gasoline for long periods of time? I'd probably keep ~ 20 gallons at the most.

View Quote

How long is long term to you?

Ideally you would want fuel that lacks ethanol and is not reformulated (RFG) to start as a base to store. To store it you would then want a sealable steel containment vessel (not plastic) without copper brazing and you would want it to stay cool and prevent temperature swings (the best bet is to bury it, BUT there are a lot of EPA regulations with buried tanks and if you get caught burying fuel for storage you're gonna get "loved tenderly"). The tank should have the ability to bottom bleed so you can put a filter on it and pull water out as it condenses and settles to the bottom of the tank. You'll need to treat it with a fuel stabilizer and keep headspace to a minimum but enough headspace to allow for expansion. You could also blanket the tank with nitrogen but the difficulty in doing it correctly probably would preclude that option.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I may have to panic soon
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ideally you would want fuel that lacks ethanol and is not reformulated (RFG) to start as a base to store. To store it you would then want a sealable steel containment vessel (not plastic) without copper brazing and you would want it to stay cool and prevent temperature swings (the best bet is to bury it, BUT there are a lot of EPA regulations with buried tanks and if you get caught burying fuel for storage you're gonna get "loved tenderly"). The tank should have the ability to bottom bleed so you can put a filter on it and pull water out as it condenses and settles to the bottom of the tank. You'll need to treat it with a fuel stabilizer and keep headspace to a minimum but enough headspace to allow for expansion. You could also blanket the tank with nitrogen but the difficulty in doing it correctly probably would preclude that option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years maybe. I was reading up on some of the fuel stablizers. Only good place I have to store it now is my garage, which obviously has some temperature swings.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Hopefully by this coming weekend some of it is alleviated..................my wife and I were planning on going to Orlando on Sunday, but I'd hate to get down there, fill up to come back and get into Georgia and not find any.............I filled the wife's car up and my truck up today, and since I have a work truck that my employer provides gas for ( we have fuel tanks at each headquarters) the personal truck can stay parked, and the wife's KIA gets excellent mileage
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A few years maybe. I was reading up on some of the fuel stablizers. Only good place I have to store it now is my garage, which obviously has some temperature swings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1-2 years would be doable if the fuel is good when you get it. If you are going to store that amount of it in your garage I would probably not bother with going to lots of trouble to store it. A better plan would probably be to simply keep cycling the fuel. The day that you need just 20 gallons to get you through things will be a day when the time from the last time you cycled the fuel to when it is used up will still be in the expected shelf life of the fuel. That said, do remember that most gasoline containers now are required to be vented and that will be in your garage, so ventilation will be something to consider especially if your garage sees high temps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For the time being we have gas at exit #114 Madison/Hwys 129 & 441 on I-20. Nearly all the stations had a car at each pump, with one or two folks appearing to be waiting their turns. The price currently ranges from $1.99 - $2.19, and I have heard of no rationing yet. My wife will be filling up when she gets home tonight and I'll try to update this then.

Obviously things are in flux. I'm of the opinion that if the trip is not necessary, I'd prolly put it off a few days to let things settle down a bit. But, if you can't wait, and happen to be near Madison, and get desperate, I've got a can with a few gallons in it out at the range.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mrs. Emu made it home tonight, but she said gas was getting scarce. The last place she stopped at only had premium for $2.65. She filled up. I was at the I-20 Madison exit this evening about 6:30. Three stations were out. The Flash Foods had fuel, but when I filled up there every pump had a car at it with 3 cars waiting. The cashier said they were just about out. The Pilot still had gas, but again, every pump had a car, and there were about 6 cars waiting. I would be very surprised if there is any gas left in Madison by morning, unless a tanker or two arrive during the night. Diesel seems to be a bit more avaiable.

I don't believe that I would want to attempt any sort of journey until that pipeline is repaired and the stations are topped up again....

JMHO, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

<= Is VERY pleased he has a full tank and only an 11 mile, country road, commute to work!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#39]
i'm starting to not look so crazy for keeping waste motor oil and having tested running my brodozer on it in the past...
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1-2 years would be doable if the fuel is good when you get it. If you are going to store that amount of it in your garage I would probably not bother with going to lots of trouble to store it. A better plan would probably be to simply keep cycling the fuel. The day that you need just 20 gallons to get you through things will be a day when the time from the last time you cycled the fuel to when it is used up will still be in the expected shelf life of the fuel. That said, do remember that most gasoline containers now are required to be vented and that will be in your garage, so ventilation will be something to consider especially if your garage sees high temps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

3-6 months max.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm seeing a few stations out of regular. From west Paulding to st Joseph's hospital. Haven't seen one station that's out of gas.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Yesterday, the smaller stations on Thornton Rd near I-20 were out of gas, as was the Race Trak.  The Kroger and Quik Trip were both doing brisk business.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

3-6 months max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3-6 months max.

You can store gas for years with the right set up. With These cans and some PRI-G I have kept gas for two years.  Jerry Cans
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You can store gas for years with the right set up. With These cans and some PRI-G I have kept gas for two years.  Jerry Cans
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3-6 months max.

Yes in ideal situations.  With a plastic vented can 3-6 months is about all you are gonna get.  There are methods to increase your storage, as discussed earlier, but doesn't really seem feasible for ~20 gallons.  Yes metal cans are the way to go, most of us don't have them though.  I have at least 20 cans, from 5 gallon to one gallon, not one of which is metal.  Many of these were collected shortly after Katrina, when there were NO cans to be found.  Gas was in short supply also, mostly due to power outage, couldn't pump it.  Well they did close down most of the rigs for a while also.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mrs. Emu made it home tonight, but she said gas was getting scarce. The last place she stopped at only had premium for $2.65. She filled up. I was at the I-20 Madison exit this evening about 6:30. Three stations were out. The Flash Foods had fuel, but when I filled up there every pump had a car at it with 3 cars waiting. The cashier said they were just about out. The Pilot still had gas, but again, every pump had a car, and there were about 6 cars waiting. I would be very surprised if there is any gas left in Madison by morning, unless a tanker or two arrive during the night. Diesel seems to be a bit more avaiable.

I don't believe that I would want to attempt any sort of journey until that pipeline is repaired and the stations are topped up again....

<= Is VERY pleased he has a full tank and only an 11 mile, country road, commute to work!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I talked to my customer in Augusta, and he said that gas is plentiful, so I'm going to give it a try.

If you see a guy on I-20 wearing a leather speedo and hockey mask, hijacking cars for their fuel, that's probably me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
3+ years stored in a NATO jerry can with a quality rubber gasket seal.  When I opened it to dump in my tacoma I got the nice "pssssh" venting sound and the fuel ran like new.

No stablizers needed if the storage is completely air tight and not vented at all during storage.
View Quote

No, just dumping fuel into a jerry can will not get reliable 3+ year storage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#49]
The Kroger on the corner of Shallowford and Johnson Ferry just got topped off by the fuel tanker truck as of 7pm.  All you peeps in the East Cobb, west Roswell area go for it.  Lines are long though, probably 30 minutes wait.

I filled up this morning at Costco before everybody wakes up, no line and $1.99 a gallon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#50]
fuel out at stations across Columbus, hit or miss
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top