Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 2:45:45 PM EDT
My 11 yo daughter is interested in that as a career. I would like to encourage her to do it, but I think it would be great if she could talk to a vet, and perhaps do some volunteer work, or shadow the doctor and techs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
When she gets older, UGA has some High school camps at the vet school.

I am certain any local vet would let her shadow them for the day but she might be too young and get scared of the dirty side of the business!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When she gets older, UGA has some High school camps at the vet school.

I am certain any local vet would let her shadow them for the day but she might be too young and get scared of the dirty side of the business!
View Quote

Thanks Rob. We had to put one of our cats down, so she knows about that part of it. Seeing the operations, and abuse will be hard. I'll ask one of our vets and see.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a long road, you can't get in at ugas vet school very easy, it usually takes 3 or more applications to get aaccepted. My wife was prevet when we met, she changed her mind by the 3rd year.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No small number of UGA vet school rejects end up in med school. That should tell you something. It's easier to become a doctor than to go to UGA's vet program.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No small number of UGA vet school rejects end up in med school. That should tell you something. It's easier to become a doctor than to go to UGA's vet program.
View Quote

Wow, had no idea. I suppose there are other vet schools out there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a rule, vet school is nearly as difficult as med school. Got a buddy who chose to go to Tuskeegee in Alabama (black university, and he's Lilly white!) cuz it was the only one he could get accepted to!!! Boy were they hot when he showed up for classes on the first day with no tan!!!!

He graduated from there, but let me tell you, and he'll vouch for me. Unless you start your practice with deep pockets and in a very high rent district, being a vet is far more a labor of love, than a way to get rich quick. I've been pretty close friends with 3 different vets, and all of them have struggled to survive. Those that did large animal practices got broke up pretty bad, early on, and gave that up long before they were grey headed.

Being a vet sounds like a lot of fun, but the schooling is tough, long, and expensive, and it's just a durn uncertain and HARD way to earn a living!!! She'll do ok if she's 1000% dedicated, committed, and more than a wee bit lucky. I'd support my kid if she truly wanted to walk that path, but I'd be 100% behind her if she bailed too!!! She'd likely make better $$$ with far less stress, selling supplies, equipment, or drugs, to vets, and still be a part of that world, rather than to BE a vet....

My hat's off to her if she makes it thru vet school and develops a thriving practice!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As a rule, vet school is nearly as difficult as med school. Got a buddy who chose to go to Tuskeegee in Alabama (black university, and he's Lilly white!) cuz it was the only one he could get accepted to!!! Boy were they hot when he showed up for classes on the first day with no tan!!!!

He graduated from there, but let me tell you, and he'll vouch for me. Unless you start your practice with deep pockets and in a very high rent district, being a vet is far more a labor of love, than a way to get rich quick. I've been pretty close friends with 3 different vets, and all of them have struggled to survive. Those that did large animal practices got broke up pretty bad, early on, and gave that up long before they were grey headed.

Being a vet sounds like a lot of fun, but the schooling is tough, long, and expensive, and it's just a durn uncertain and HARD way to earn a living!!! She'll do ok if she's 1000% dedicated, committed, and more than a wee bit lucky. I'd support my kid if she truly wanted to walk that path, but I'd be 100% behind her if she bailed too!!! She'd likely make better $$$ with far less stress, selling supplies, equipment, or drugs, to vets, and still be a part of that world, rather than to BE a vet....

My hat's off to her if she makes it thru vet school and develops a thriving practice!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the above. The vets that do well are the ones selling unnecessary treatments and bs vaccine boosters for ridiculous prices. I think it's hard to make a living as an honest vet!

Pharmacy school and nursing seem like good careers. I know someone who has a great md career who went to one of those med schools in the Caribbean. It's high risk though as like 2/3 of them don't make it and they are stuck with the debt and no degree.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Auburn has a great vet school, and is home to the Southern Raptor Center.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My daughter was also interested going to become a vet.  My primary care talked her out of it.  He told her it's almost the same amount of edu as Doctor become a doctor she ended up getting an as degree in bio and bs degree in microbiology wants to cancer research instead now
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree with the above. The vets that do well are the ones selling unnecessary treatments and bs vaccine boosters for ridiculous prices. I think it's hard to make a living as an honest vet!

Pharmacy school and nursing seem like good careers. I know someone who has a great md career who went to one of those med schools in the Caribbean. It's high risk though as like 2/3 of them don't make it and they are stuck with the debt and no degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pharmacy ain't no fun either ....unless you can survive as an independent
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]
PA is where the sweet spot is. Least amount of school for the most amount of things you can do, with reduced liability. Become an anesthesia PA, and the money is even better.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x3

My wife's been a vet tech for several years at 3 different vets.

I hear the same thing at home
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top