Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2016 6:26:25 PM EDT
Anybody in the south have experience with a pellet stove?

Reason I ask the house I'm looking at buying has one and the owner swears it's the greatest thing ever. But I know nothing about them and don't even know where I would find fuel for the dang thing.

Thoughts and experience please!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a house about 17 years ago and put a Whitfield stove in the living room. It was an open floor design with the kitchen, dining room, and living room all together. It would keep those folks at whatever temp I wanted. The bedrooms would of course be colder ( 60's ) but I prefer to sleep cold. It would use about a ton of pellets a year. It had dual fuel setup as whole house heat if we weren't there or wanted to run it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Wood and its derivatives are generally cheap per btu compared to propane or heating oil. Natural gas is so cheap that if it's available it makes sense.

Any sort of boiler where there are radiators in each room is the most efficient heating.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wood and its derivatives are generally cheap per btu compared to propane or heating oil. Natural gas is so cheap that if it's available it makes sense.

Any sort of boiler where there are radiators in each room is the most efficient heating.
View Quote

With this house as it stands now my choices are a propane furnace or the pellet stove.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
With this house as it stands now my choices are a propane furnace or the pellet stove.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll want both. Actually I'd install a duel fuel ( heat pump with propane furnace backup) and the pellet stove. Get a free standing one, not an insert
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You'll want both. Actually I'd install a duel fuel ( heat pump with propane furnace backup) and the pellet stove. Get a free standing one, not an insert
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is all existing install. I'm not sure if it's a heat pump or just straight propane furnace to be honest. The pellet is an insert.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody know where to buy fuel for the things in the Georgia area?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think tractor supply stocks pellets, but you need to call them to make certain, as I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think tractor supply stocks pellets, but you need to call them to make certain, as I don't know for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lowes stocks pellets too. one of the things I like about mine is that I can power it from a 500w inverter should my gennie fails.
I can heat  the main areas and have cool bedrooms which is the way i want it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good advice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lowes stocks pellets too. one of the things I like about mine is that I can power it from a 500w inverter should my gennie fails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your inbox is full so I sent you a message on the Fbook. :D
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best price I found was ace hardware. Buy them by the pallet load. The problem is they're gaining in popularity and pellets are going up.
Lowes, ace, any feed store can get them ( Pennington had some of the best). Hammers hot ones are probably the best. Just make sure they're 100% hardwood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top