Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 1:14:47 PM EDT
Feds claim Georgia CCW protections are superceded by federal law.

All the more reason to kick the TSA out of ATL.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck the tsa
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Federal authorities will begin June 1 cracking down on people who bring guns to the security checkpoint at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport..............................
View Quote

Who takes their gun to the TSA checkpoint?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I gotta say, I can't feel a whole lotta pain for someone that attempts to take a firearm THROUGH the TSA checkpoint.

I have no problems with someone carrying a firearm in all pre-security parts of the airport.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO: The vast majority of the folks we're talking about are your average, everyday, businessmen, who seldom ever travel by air, that stuck a .38 spl in their briefcase 2+ years ago, and forgot the durn thing was in there when they packed for the flight to the National Trade Show that they attend every few years. They grabbed said briefcase, in a hurry, on the way out the door, as they headed to the airport, and "OOPS, I FORGOT I left that gun in there."

These are folks who had a brainfart whilst in a HUGE hurry to get to the airport, 3 hours early, so the TSA could feel them up, and harrass them, before being allowed to board a plane. They are certainly not the sharpest knives in the drawer. But, if they have a carry permit, it's not like they're convicted fellons, or likely to try to hijack the plane. For that matter, they probably could have, possibly would have, packed it in their suitcase and checked it as baggage, if they had thought about it, and wanted to take it with them. I knew one of these guys who did this once. EXACT scenario I just described above. Sold me ALL his guns after it happened, so he would never have to worry about it happening to him again. Definitely not overly brilliant, but certainly NOT a person who would have ever harmed anyone, even if he probably should have!!! Not the sort that needed to be carrying anyway......

Do they deserve a felony rap, as well as MAJOR fines and hassles? I'm thinking NOT! Do they deserve some sort of minor wake up call? Probably so. But it's a pretty safe bet that 99.9% of these folks had zero malicious intent, and I was under the impression that intent had something to do with your guilt in criminal matters.

But then what do I know? I am not of the ruling class, I am but one of the ruled.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I think emu pretty much nails it. I'll have to pull up the press release that came out of the US Attorney's office later that day.  Basically it boils down to this...

No GWCL at the checkpoint plus firearm, will end up with an arrest by APD, and felony charges filed through the Clayton County Solicitors office.
GWCL at the checkpoint plus a firearm will end up with your firearm being confiscated for evidence, $100 dollar citation plus court costs, and "possible arrest by the FBI" for violation of airport security procedures with a possible 1 year jail term and $10,000 fine.

The press release reads like they're going to make your life as uncomfortable as possible.  Just to make an example out of fun owners, especially since the TSA has such a black eye right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm here to tell ya, there will be no arrests by the FBI for the sort of firearms violations you are describing.  There would have to be a LKT of extenuating circumstances to get them to take that sort of case.   They are using the FBI's name as a stick in this case.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think emu pretty much nails it. I'll have to pull up the press release that came out of the US Attorney's office later that day.  Basically it boils down to this...

No GWCL at the checkpoint plus firearm, will end up with an arrest by APD, and felony charges filed through the Clayton County Solicitors office.
GWCL at the checkpoint plus a firearm will end up with your firearm being confiscated for evidence, $100 dollar citation plus court costs, and "possible arrest by the FBI" for violation of airport security procedures with a possible 1 year jail term and $10,000 fine.

The press release reads like they're going to make your life as uncomfortable as possible.  Just to make an example out of fun owners, especially since the TSA has such a black eye right now.
View Quote

But is any of that new?  Hasn't this always been the case if you try to go through screening with a gun on your person or in your carry-on?

The article makes it sound like people been toting guns past security and now they are gonna "crack down".
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The AUSA will not prosecute any of these cases unless intent can be proven.  

I've known the AFSD-LE at Hartsfield for 14 years.   Great guy, pro-gun, him and his son shoot competitively at several metro area ranges.  

I know a few APD supervisors at the airport and they're great guys.   One is a PRS competitor.  

I know all the FAMS VIPR guys out there, and the head of Delta security.   All good folks.  

This latest is posturing by the brass.  For the grunts in the field it's business as usual.  

This is similar to years ago when airport brass said they would prosecute licensed firearms toters in the pre-security parts of the airport.   Commotion was raised, and nothing happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top