Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 12:09:49 PM EDT
So I'm finally considering casting my own bullets.  I'm just getting into research mode, and also need to start sourcing some lead.  I'm not looking for anyone's secret supplier or anything like that, but I would like to know if there are commercial sources for buying the appropriate scrap lead types.  I've looked at a couple of recyclers and it seems like they buy but don't sell.

Does any of you guys have a local commercial / scrap seller that you're willing to disclose?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I think people generally stumble on lead through craigslist etc.

Many scrap places and tire stores won't even sell it to individuals. Not sure lately but generally $1 a lb for known source quality lead was normal. You can buy wheel weights etc but sometimes they have some zinc/steel and your yield ends up being alot less than the bucket weight.

I have a pile of soft pure lead but nothing to mix it with. Fortunately it doesn't take up alot of space and is likely to increase in value over time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, you are almost better off to simply buy wheel weights already in ingots for $1/lb.  I've yet to find a decent source for "soft" lead, and have only been able to find wheel weights at tire shops....but even that is unreliable.  A few months ago, I hit 6 different shops and ended up with ZERO....they are all scrapping or selling to someone else.  One of the local salvage yards will sell you all the wheel weights you want...for $0.65-75/lb or more.  

I am in the same boat as you, I got the itch to start casting several months back and have been trying to stockpile a bit of lead.  I was able to get a few buckets of wheel weights, but still need to sort them and separate the steel/zinc weights from the actual lead stuff....and then have to sort through and separate the clip on and stick on wheel weights.  Looking at a 5-gallon bucket, this will be extremely time consuming, which is probably why I haven't done it.  Once that is done, you still have to smelt it, flux it with sawdust, and pour into ingots.  Watch a few Youtube videos, there is nothing quick abut the process....and add to the fact its dirty, hot to do in the summer, and very unhealthy if not done correctly, buying is a much better option.  Hell, I can tell you that there is no way I could sell it for $1/lb, I'd have way too much time and money tied up into that pound to just sell for a buck.

My advice?  Buy 30-50lbs of wheel weight in ingots, and they try finding/hoarding wheel weights.  Use the ingots to go ahead an pour some bullets, and see if that is your thing.  I can tell you this, up front costs (especially for good molds) is high, and you have to shoot a lot to recoup/save any money.    

Just to be curious, what cartridges are you wanting to cast for?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
9mm, 45acp, 300 Blackout, maybe .38 and for a .32-40 lever gun.

I figure I will start with the 45 or the 9mm as those are the two we shoot the most.

I was actually planning on buying some good, known-uality casting lead for my first several runs (or more...), but I want to look at the long term prospects as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was actually planning on buying some good, known-uality casting lead for my first several runs (or more...), but I want to look at the long term prospects as well.
View Quote

Good thing is, wheel weights won't go bad, so there is really no reason not to pick up a few hundred pounds to hoard. I probably have 6-700 lbs in buckets, but they do get in the way (and are heavy as hell to move).  A typical 5 gallon bucket will hold around 115 lbs or so, depending on how much is lead, steel, or zinc.  A lot of states are going away from lead wheel weights, so the supply will eventually dry up.    

I shoot a lot of revolvers in .38/.357, .41, .44, and .45 Colt, so it only seems natural to cast.  Problem is, I've yet to crunch any numbers that resulted in me saving money by casting my own...yet.  Like I mentioned, the biggest up front cost is the time necessary to smelt down the lead into usable ingots.  Cast bullets from manufacturers are relatively cheap right now, and there is no way I can compete with them.  Now, its one thing if you are talking wide meplat/heavy hardcast hunting bullets, but just plain on plinking bullets aren't that expensive.  That being said, you have to go into with the mindset of it being a hobby, not just a way to save money.

Check CastBoolits.com, they are the AR15.com of bullet casting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
As a matter of fact,  I just signed up at castboolits a couple of days ago and have been reading as much of the basic info as I can, including an e-book I downloaded.

I clearly have a lot to learn...

I have pretty much reached the same conclusion about lead.  After I get some more research done and figure out what lead I need to buy, I am going to pick it up or have it shipped ready to go.

Ultimately I do look at casting as a way to save money,  but also as a way to keep shooting if the bullet supply lines dry up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
We are in the same boat somewhat, I've been a member at cast boolits for quite a while and haven't cast the first "boolit"... I've participated in several group buys and have a few molds, but haven't bought the other equipment. I've gotten lucky a few times and have had friends give me lead already in ingot form... I had the idea a while back that boats might use lead as a ballast ?  If you find that idea a good one, let me know and I'll accept some lead as payment for my suggestion ;)
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, boats use lead for ballast, dive belts also,but that may have changed because of the tree huggers. Old houses being torn down or renowned   may have lead pipe. Lead WWs are hard to find these days, most are zinc. I was given some plain lead  with no addded tin or antimony, i mix with linotype i get off the ebay but prices have  doubled in tthe few years i have been casting. Do not use battery lead.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Just keep in the back of your mind that a phenomenal price on lead is 0 cents per bullet and expensive fully cleaned and processed lead is 2-4 cents a bullet. If it save you quite a bit of time and keeps you interested to pay for cleaned and alloyed lead, I'd go that route.

I still like learning the process but am real about the ingredients
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top