Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 1:24:10 AM EDT
I'm looking at a position down there.   Can anyone fill me in on the info,: schools, where to live, where to shoot , all that jazz.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
¿Hablas español?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what you like, but the north side of the county is still fairly rural, farming type, but with high land costs. West side of the county is the lake, East side is a mix of south side and north side, south side is miniature Atlanta, growing rapidly.

Gainesville city has a high Hispanic population, fairly industrial/poultry, traffic is getting heavy and slow.

If I were moving here, I'd live in northwest or north end of the county. Drive from the northern county line to downtown is about 15 minutes, about 10 minutes from northwest (Sardis area)

Schools are decent. West Hall, North Hall, Chestatee. Gainesville High is a good school with good money for extracurricular activites. Likewise for North Hall, but it's the "countriest" of the schools.

Gainesville population is upwards for 75K. It's expected to top 100K in the next couple/few years. Used to be a small town.

Where's the job offer, if you don't mind me asking?

I've been here for 40 years.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on what you like, but the north side of the county is still fairly rural, farming type, but with high land costs. West side of the county is the lake, East side is a mix of south side and north side, south side is miniature Atlanta, growing rapidly.

Gainesville city has a high Hispanic population, fairly industrial/poultry, traffic is getting heavy and slow.

If I were moving here, I'd live in northwest or north end of the county. Drive from the northern county line to downtown is about 15 minutes, about 10 minutes from northwest (Sardis area)

Schools are decent. West Hall, North Hall, Chestatee. Gainesville High is a good school with good money for extracurricular activites. Likewise for North Hall, but it's the "countriest" of the schools.

Gainesville population is upwards for 75K. It's expected to top 100K in the next couple/few years. Used to be a small town.

Where's the job offer, if you don't mind me asking?

I've been here for 40 years.

View Quote

Good description, without the usual bias.

For shooting, Cherokee Gun Club.  It is membership only, clean nice club with strict rules.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Oops, yeah, forgot shooting places-

Wilson Shoals WMA- 80 yard range
Gunsite Hills 700yd+ range
National Forest
Plenty of indoor ranges within 20 miles of town, most on the south side. The folks in North area shoot on their farm/land.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone mentioned all the chicken plants and the associated chicken pluckers that go alon with them?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, my wife saw the stuff about the chicken plant.  I am interviewing for job at somewhere else, staying quiet as so not to jinx it.   I used to live in a town that had one of the Cargill pork plants, so I know how that can be.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Do yourself a favor - look for a place just north of Gainesville - out on the i985 - I'm about 20 miles north of Gaineville and it takes me about 20 minutes to get there. There's almost no traffic.
Places to shoot? I always go to Wilson Shoals WMA. RSO's are a PITA at times, but it is what it is.
My MIL does sub teaching in Hall county (Gainesville) schools. The school system sucks a big one, seriously. Look at Habersham country for better schools. Avoid Banks County (where I am) and White county.
The chicken pluckers are a problem from Gainsville to Toccoa. You won't escape them. They are generally not a problem, but the trucks do smell horrible when you get stuck behind them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor - look for a place just north of Gainesville - out on the i985 - I'm about 20 miles north of Gaineville and it takes me about 20 minutes to get there. There's almost no traffic.
Places to shoot? I always go to Wilson Shoals WMA. RSO's are a PITA at times, but it is what it is.
My MIL does sub teaching in Hall county (Gainesville) schools. The school system sucks a big one, seriously. Look at Habersham country for better schools. Avoid Banks County (where I am) and White county.
The chicken pluckers are a problem from Gainsville to Toccoa. You won't escape them. They are generally not a problem, but the trucks do smell horrible when you get stuck behind them.
View Quote

And watch for the flying crap coming off the trucks if you try and pass one . . .

Hall Co schools are fine for the area although the demographics vary widely depending on the cluster.  Not as good as Forsyth to the west but better than the schools east as you get towards Athens.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on how far you are willing to drive every morning, you could potentially live 2 counties away and still get to work in 30-40 mins.  Georgia has really small counties (2nd most counties after Texas) due to lots of political favors in the past.  Use that to your advantage if you would rather live in a more rural setting or looking for cheaper options on housing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
can't believe no one has mentioned georgia gun store
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#11]

AND

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Stick to the Forsyth Co side.

Better schools
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps with all the chickens and hispanios, I should note that I was raised in Gainesville and moved away 8 years ago. I live 25 miles north and work there. The schools are somewhere around 55-60 percent Hispanic, higher in some (70-75%+ in some elementary schools), lower in some. For the time being, there are still more chickens than pluckers.

Georgia Gun Store is GTG. Hard to beat his prices and a great guy/wife.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I work in Gainesville but live in Forsyth County. The schools in Forsyth are excellent. I moved here from NW Florida 3 years ago and do not regret it one bit!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in County just above Gainesville,  and commute 35 minutes to work.  We shoot on our land, great area. Gainesville is a fine place to work. As stated, Georgia guns is a must visit. Mike there is great.  Also the foxhole is a great gunstore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Better schools
View Quote

This.

We have two teen girls in West Forsyth High and a 9yr old boy in Kelly Mill Elementary. Appears to be mostly middle/upper middle class in this district.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This.

We have two teen girls in West Forsyth High and a 9yr old boy in Kelly Mill Elementary. Appears to be mostly middle/upper middle class in this district.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better schools

This.

Supposedly Forsyth Co is in the top five most wealthy counties in the US
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better schools

This.

Which is hilarious to think about if you are from GA.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better schools

This.

No shit right? I'm north Forsyth and I sure don't see it
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better schools

This.

That's because you are in north Forsyth . . . same thing with Hall county.  All the packed in/gated community/$500k+ houses are in the bottom 1/3rd of the county.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's because you are in north Forsyth . . . same thing with Hall county.  All the packed in/gated community/$500k+ houses are in the bottom 1/3rd of the county.
View Quote

Don't forget lots of lakefront property on one of the (if not the most) recreationally used lakes in the world.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't forget lots of lakefront property on one of the (if not the most) recreationally used lakes in the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same in the county I moved from in NY that's usually on those "Wealthiest Counties" lists, all the wealth is located on the water of the North Shore of Long Island. Everything else in the county is meh.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Gainesville este muy bueno.  Taquerias mas fina!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top