Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 8:46:24 PM EDT
Anyone have a recommendation or friend that does A/C repair?  Looks like my outside motor is gone, it's trying to spin but won't.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
R and D Mechanical
Talk to Charlie at 770 778 8857 tell him I told you to call him.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 (770) 365-8860 John Hudson

He's a htf member.  Could be your capacitor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm no AC tech, but the capacitor sounds like a good diagnosis to me too. It's a cheap and easy repair if you are even a little tool savvy.

Go for it. Look up a YouTube video on your unit, and save yourself some $$$.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Capacitor isn't swollen, unit is kicking on and the fan is trying to turn, but it's not and getting super hot.  Attic unit has no fault alerts either.

Pretty sure the motor outside is gone, already found the parts online, just never installed a motor, did a capacitor before.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Capacitor isn't swollen, unit is kicking on and the fan is trying to turn, but it's not and getting super hot.  Attic unit has no fault alerts either.

Pretty sure the motor outside is gone, already found the parts online, just never installed a motor, did a capacitor before.
View Quote
22 year HVAC guy here. Change the cap. unless when you turn the unit off the blade is hard to turn by hand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Talked to John tonight, need to do the blade test tomorrow to determine if it's just the capacitor or the motor also.  Either or both, he should have everything I need to handle it.

Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine did the same thing last year.  It was the capacitor, and I found one on Amazon for like 7 bucks.  The old one looks perfect - just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mine did the same thing last year.  It was the capacitor, and I found one on Amazon for like 7 bucks.  The old one looks perfect - just doesn't work.
View Quote

It's the motor.  On the working one the fan free spins, on the broke one it won't spin at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's the motor.  On the working one the fan free spins, on the broke one it won't spin at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's the case it's motor time. If you can wait order it off Amazon, cheaper than I can buy them from a supply house. The hardest part will be getting the old fan blade off. Clean the shaft with sand cloth, lots of kroil, some luck and start twisting the blade one way while turning the shaft the other. If it moves it'll slide right off. Replace the cap with the new motor. If you need phone tech support, IM me and I'll give you my number.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If that's the case it's motor time. If you can wait order it off Amazon, cheaper than I can buy them from a supply house. The hardest part will be getting the old fan blade off. Clean the shaft with sand cloth, lots of kroil, some luck and start twisting the blade one way while turning the shaft the other. If it moves it'll slide right off. Replace the cap with the new motor. If you need phone tech support, IM me and I'll give you my number.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are welcome to borrow my fan blade puller. I live off Scott road.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Got the parts from John, came home and installed it.  Wasn't paying attention and didn't realize due to the motor being taller the fan bolt thing hanging down was hitting the compressor.  Had to pull it all off and cut the bolt, readjust the fan, etc.

Been running constant to cool the upstairs off since 7pm, fan motor temp is 94 right now.  Air is 54 coming out of the vents.  Everything looks good right now.

I appreciate John helping, I brought him some .223 and 9mm ammo along with the money.  He doesn't have a 9mm though, so I kept that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top