Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 12:31:57 PM EDT
Re-locating from IN to Flowery Branch. What are the best gun shops around there and what options for ranges? I currently drive about an hour to get to DNR public outdoor rifle range, and that has 50,100, and 225yd.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There's several shops within 30 minutes. There is a indoor range called trigger time (I think) to the east of FB near Braselton. Then there's Bullseye with is a shop and indoor range. Gainesville has 3 or 4 decent shops. There are a few public ranges. One up in Lula that I think is 80yds, then one out in Mansfield with 100yd and a separate pistol range. You could join Athens Rifle Club and shoot out to ~175yds, or join Elberton Gun Club and Shoot out to 400yds. Cherokee Gun Club is in Gainesville, and they have a 200yd range (last I checked). Lots of gun stuff up this way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at the Elberton range, looks nice. Probably more of a drive than I do now, but we'd just make a day of it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Where bouts in flowery branch are you moving too?  GA gun in Gainesville is a place I shop quite often.  Head up to Dawsonville pawn just off 400 and spend some time there, cool gun/pawn shop.  If you mtn bike or hike a bit, Cherokee bluffs just opened in flowery branch off black jack rd.  Did you move here for a job?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
GA Gunstore is my favorite bay far
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest a WMA range.  For you Wilson Shoals would probably be the closest, 30min up 985.  They have ROs, wasn't always the case, but still better than the indoor ranges I've been to.  Maxes out at 75yds though.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/FirearmRanges/Info
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked at the Elberton range, looks nice. Probably more of a drive than I do now, but we'd just make a day of it.
View Quote

I'm a little further away from it than you'll be. I don't mind the drive. (except for the speeding ticket I got heading there in August )
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The Angry Emu Range, near Madison, is about an hour and a half from Flowery Branch. It is a range constructed for, and by, the ARFcommers, here in the GA HTF. It's on private property, and is available for use at any time. I only ask that you contact me before heading this way.

We currently have 5 rifle benches, with backstops at 100, 150, & 200 yards. We have plans to extend out to 300 & 500 yards, as time and funds allow. There is also a 30' wide pistol berm available as well. The pistol berm, and all three rifle backstops, have steel targets in place. Membership is free, though we do request donations of time (preferably), and/or funds, as your circumstances allow. We are currently constructing a campground, and a pavilion with restroom facilities, for use by the members. Watch for updates on our progress in the GA HTF Forum.

If anyone is interested in being part of the range, you need only IM me for answers to your questions, or for directions to the range. We've got a great group of folks using, and supporting the range, and are always looking to add new members to our ranks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where bouts in flowery branch are you moving too?  GA gun in Gainesville is a place I shop quite often.  Head up to Dawsonville pawn just off 400 and spend some time there, cool gun/pawn shop.  If you mtn bike or hike a bit, Cherokee bluffs just opened in flowery branch off black jack rd.  Did you move here for a job?
View Quote

We're moving right off Chestnut Mtn, near the Presbyterian Church. We spent a couple days checking out Braselton, Flowery Branch this summer. Wife is transferring to a job in Winder so we can get away from these mid-west winters. I worked for costco for 17yrs before my knee took me out of work, and long story short, I'm a stay at home Dad now. Can't wait to be down there and check out everything more.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the responses, really appreciate the info and look forward to meeting some fellow arfcommers down there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Also GA Gun Club in Buford....100 Yd indoor range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#11]
So i'm guessing Strickland RD.  That is a nice area, quick access to hwy 211 for the wife to go to work, fairly easy to get to 85 and 985.  Fairly quiet area as far as crime.  Keep car doors locked, and please don't keep firearms in the vehicle unattended.  Been a rash of entering autos over the past month or so.  Usually no break ins, just checking for unlocked doors then taking what they deem valuable.

Keep your speed on 53 to a maximum 9 over because the traffic units and oakwood pd love to run laser and radar, will occasionally see gsp also.  the Cork and Keg is not too far away in braselton and is a great liquor/wine selection.

Enjoy your new home and if you have any questions let me know
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]
GA Gun Club is awesome, but pricey. Trigger Time is great (flat rate range fees, whether you shoot for 30 mins or 4 hours) but limited to 25-35 yards. Bullseye in Lawrenceville isn't too bad as a gun shop, but I'll never use their range (lack of supervision and an overabundance of idiots). Welcome to GA!
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GA Gun Club is awesome, but pricey.
View Quote

Definitely pricey, I won't be renewing my membership because of that and some other reasons.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Definitely pricey, I won't be renewing my membership because of that and some other reasons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like most of the indoor ranges around have overpriced their membership. I can't imagine paying more than the equivalent of 12/trips a year for an annual membership. I'm certain that most people don't use them enough to cover what it would cost to just pay each visit.

If I had an indoor range, I would price the memberships to sell as only a handful of people are going to really going to show up every week. Even at that very rarely is a range too busy to get a lane. I think $200 would be a fair price but even at that I like the flexibility to use different ranges in the area and just pay cash.

I go to GA gun club at lunch since we have an office out that way. Its half price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm a little further away from it than you'll be. I don't mind the drive. (except for the speeding ticket I got heading there in August )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No break for retired popo, or the NY accent a deal breaker?

ETA: "You ain't from around here, are you boy?"
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll get that
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Care to elaborate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Care to elaborate?

The setup on the 100 yard range with the wood held on with C clamps is less than ideal and two rude employees were offputting. I'd rather drive to Elberton to shoot outdoors and pay $380 less a year for a membership.

Quoted:

Nah, he was very polite actually. Retired ID is pretty much useless outside of downstate NY for getting out of tickets.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The setup on the 100 yard range with the wood held on with C clamps is less than ideal and two rude employees were offputting. I'd rather drive to Elberton to shoot outdoors and pay $380 less a year for a membership.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

roger that, I always thought the c-clamps were a little odd. I had a month to month membership back in 2014 but then they had the 100yd range shut down for months so I cancelled my membership and told them why. I hunt in Elberton but have never been to the range up there. Have you been to South River Gun Club in the Conyers area? if so, how does it compare to Elberton?

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have you been to South River Gun Club in the Conyers area? if so, how does it compare to Elberton?
View Quote

Never been there.
SRGC is $180 more per year and has a $350 new member fee IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top