Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2016 7:08:21 PM EDT
i have shot prone in a couple of matches and so have practiced such.  my body hurts and my neck hurts, and i  am a lot older than most of you.  that being said

> what can i do to improve my shooting in the prone position?

> any tips or exercises?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be a couple of different things.

1.  You're just not used to the position.  Practice it more and you'll be okay.

Or

2.  You're position isn't "correct"/is unnatural and putting stress on your muscles and/or joints

Or

3.  Your stock doesn't fit you, or your scope is mounted wrong, so the eye relief is wrong for you, causing you to get into an awkward position to obtain eye relief.

I'd be happy to check out all of the above for you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
im going to take you up on that one day.
im in brunswick though,  if you ever come for training let me know.

i am shooting a borrowed rifle , i did however raise the cheekpiece.  i think i was holding the weight of my head instead of resting on the stock.

also the owner lost the extra spacers for the AICS chassis system to increase length so i rigged something and increased the length.  i was straining to look into the scope.

just doing these 2 things helped a lot.

long story short i failed on all 3 of the things you mentioned
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That would do it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
What CM said and start doing stretch and flex excersizes and practice the position while dry firing. Also make sure you have the proper eye relief on your scope. I have seen guns set up wrong for prone shooting. When mounting a scope you should check the eye relief in all four standard positions because your head positions changes from standing to prone in relation to your shoulder mount. For best results your head should be in the same place on the cheek rest for all positions; this is hard to achieve without training and practice
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are big in the torso, you may benefit from a taller bipod to raise the rifle a little higher.

Fit is everything!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
i told my friend that loaned me his rifle that the bipod was too low.   he said you wanted as low to the ground as possible to eliminate lateral movement.  he is also about 40 lbs lighter than me.   when i shot my neck hurt so bad i would take the shot early just to give my neck a break.  i was straining

i raised the cheekpiece, made some spacers for the buttstock to increase length and shot the rifle some this week.  much better, but i am still not there.

i am letting the weight of my head rest on the cheekpiece.    is this wrong?

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Resting your head is perfect.  If the rifle fits properly you should be able to do that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya know.....old habits and dogma die hard. Bipods being mounted low, scopes needing to be mounted low......all dogma and unnecessary.

It is far more important to set the rifle up so that it fits you. A rifle that fits is more consistent than one you have to fight to be comfortable behind.

You are on the right path getting the rifle to fit you and your body type.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
OK i dry fired today and fired a couple of live rounds in preparation for match.

i lowered the cheekpiece about 1/2 " from where i had raised it to last week.  realized it was on the bone under my eye not really on cheek so each shot hurt.

also field expedited some spacers to lengthen the stock.  distance to the scope still wasn't right for me.

i can't post pics, but if anyone who can and  is willing,  pm me your phone number i can text you pics of my spacers.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I may have some spacers for an AICS I no longer have.  If you want them, let me know and I'll look for them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
don't quit your job to look for them , but if you find them i will take them.

i've got the dope,  borrowed a good rifle,  got good ammo i just can't seem to hold the rifle completely still

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
don't quit your job to look for them , but if you find them i will take them.

i've got the dope,  borrowed a good rifle,  got good ammo i just can't seem to hold the rifle completely still

View Quote

Still in the prone?  Once you've got the rifle setup close to what works for you, the rest is just pure practice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
came in next to last.    POA POI off at 100yards high and left, so rather than change my clicks i tried to aim low and a little right out to 4-5-600yards.

cold and windy, spotter said my shots at 600 were high and right (8" plate), said possibly wind.

i feel like a winner, i was not last.

i am still not right because it is a strain for my neck.  i will take the shot quickly to get the pain out of my neck
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
came in next to last.    POA POI off at 100yards high and left, so rather than change my clicks i tried to aim low and a little right out to 4-5-600yards.

cold and windy, spotter said my shots at 600 were high and right (8" plate), said possibly wind.

i feel like a winner, i was not last.

i am still not right because it is a strain for my neck.  i will take the shot quickly to get the pain out of my neck
View Quote

What match did you shoot?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
brunswick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top