Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2015 8:47:58 AM EDT
So, my mother in law has a house in Alcoa, TN, which is a southern suburb of Knoxville. We're spending the kids' fall break up there, and GSMNP is pretty close. I'd like to do an overnight tent camping trip with the oldest, who is 6.

Right now. I'm looking at reserving a spot at Elkmont there. I'm picking frontcountry because it's our first time, and I'm not going to test the waters by jumping in headfirst. Having bathrooms nearby and not having to hike a few miles to a backcountry site are major plusses with kids. Next time, maybe we'll do that.

Anyways, any recommendations? I've been to the park before, and I've made the mistake of getting stuck in the hours of traffic on the Cade's Cove loop. We will not be going anywhere near that. But we'll probably go up to Clingman's Dome and hike some trails. I know October is one of the busiest months there, so I have no illusions of being alone or tradfic-free on the roads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I just did it over labor day weekend .and the days after  as soon as Monday rolled around it thinned out and was pleasant . I did Cades cove with no problems . Clingmans dome was fun . We camped to the southwest in one of the tent camp areas with no issues , other than don't leave your cooler out warning from the ranger . I was surprised at the amount of foreign tourist in the place . Guys pushing dogs in strollers (they all look very miserable ) and selfie sticks .
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, my mother in law has a house in Alcoa, TN, which is a southern suburb of Knoxville. We're spending the kids' fall break up there, and GSMNP is pretty close. I'd like to do an overnight tent camping trip with the oldest, who is 6.

Right now. I'm looking at reserving a spot at Elkmont there. I'm picking frontcountry because it's our first time, and I'm not going to test the waters by jumping in headfirst. Having bathrooms nearby and not having to hike a few miles to a backcountry site are major plusses with kids. Next time, maybe we'll do that.

Anyways, any recommendations? I've been to the park before, and I've made the mistake of getting stuck in the hours of traffic on the Cade's Cove loop. We will not be going anywhere near that. But we'll probably go up to Clingman's Dome and hike some trails. I know October is one of the busiest months there, so I have no illusions of being alone or tradfic-free on the roads.
View Quote

Its going to be cold in the morning in the mountains.  The road from Gaitlinburg to Cherokee will not be as congested as Cades Cove.  Nothing is actually as congested as Cades Cove.  Clingman's Dome can also get really cold and windy anytime of day in the fall.  I would dress for winter.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Watch out for bigfoot.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its going to be cold in the morning in the mountains.  The road from Gaitlinburg to Cherokee will not be as congested as Cades Cove.  Nothing is actually as congested as Cades Cove.  Clingman's Dome can also get really cold and windy anytime of day in the fall.  I would dress for winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. The last time I was at Clingman's Dome was probably 20 years ago. I remember it being chilly. I also remember all the idiots climbing up on the roof of the observation tower. I plan on bringing plenty of layers for me and the munchkin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top