Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 8:50:01 AM EDT
So I have been bitten by the quadcopter bug. It started small and is progressing.

Anyways....Does anybody know any sites in North Fulton / South Forsyth to fly? Need somewhere fairly wide open to do some tinkering with a GPS enabled CX-20.

ETA: a voulunteer from lostmystuff.net met me out there with a metal detector and found my intact gopro. I'm going to edit some video and post a link.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried flying at Frankie Allen park, one of my first Phantom flights, during a rushed lunch. Had a few newbie issues and the huge fence around the ball field that probably interfered with the compass. I want to try at piedmont park, but I can only imagine the overzealous security guys thinking it is illegal.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know what you find!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have been bitten by the quadcopter bug. It started small and is progressing.

Anyways....Does anybody know any sites in North Fulton / South Forsyth to fly? Need somewhere fairly wide open to do some tinkering with a GPS enabled CX-20.
View Quote

There used to be a RC plane club that had a field on Hwy 20 on the left heading east just before you cross the Chattahoochee. I don't know if it's still there, been a while since I've been in that area.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have a lot of private land, RC clubs are your friend.  Public parks that aren't too crowded work too.  Just go at times there aren't a lot of people around.  The public perception of "drones" has gotten a lot more tolerant lately and people are less scared of them, despite what you see on the news every night.  We fly our Phantoms in front of people all the time.  Most don't care, some want to watch.

Disclaimer: I recently partnered with a buddy to do UAV terrain mapping/surveying/topography.  We fly them a lot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd look for RC fields, I don't like the idea of flying around to many people at parks. Giving a smartphone wings can lead to unintentional consequences, especially when its relying on a DJI GPS unit. Some state parks have RC fields too so I'd check into that as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Cobb Co has an RC aircraft park off of Pitner Road in Acworth.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If you find a decent club or park, please post your findings.... I have a Parot drone... I can only fly around my Cul-de-Sac, or a local soccer field... I would like to find a larger place where I can start to test some of the GPS capabilities of the drone without fear of losing it in a tree or dropping onto a road...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you find a decent club or park, please post your findings.... I have a Parot drone... I can only fly around my Cul-de-Sac, or a local soccer field... I would like to find a larger place where I can start to test some of the GPS capabilities of the drone without fear of losing it in a tree or dropping onto a road...
View Quote
I've got 15 acres in west Paulding your welcome to fly on. I'd love to see an overhead shot of the beaver pond.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
What about fowler park?  It has tons of land and if you go during the week, may be pretty empty during school hours. I also see people flying south of the collection on exit 13. Also on that exit is Atlanta hobby who specialize in quadcopters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got 15 acres in west Paulding your welcome to fly on. I'd love to see an overhead shot of the beaver pond.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have ducks on that beaver pond?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you don't have a lot of private land, RC clubs are your friend.  Public parks that aren't too crowded work too.  Just go at times there aren't a lot of people around.  The public perception of "drones" has gotten a lot more tolerant lately and people are less scared of them, despite what you see on the news every night.  We fly our Phantoms in front of people all the time.  Most don't care, some want to watch.

Disclaimer: I recently partnered with a buddy to do UAV terrain mapping/surveying/topography.  We fly them a lot.
View Quote

Have you applied/received the FAA 333 exemption yet? I have a few sites that we could possibly use you on. I am going to PM you my contact info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Sent you a PM back with all our info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I might.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might.  

Do you need help getting rid of said ducks??

Or beavers?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Or beavers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might.  

Or beavers?
I won't know about the Beavers until I can get it recon'd by air.  There is someone who's supposed to be removing them but nothing yet. It's been about two months.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
So I checked out the field behind academy. Looks perfect. about 1000' triangle.

This afternoon I needed a break so I went out to fly it in our office park. We have a fairly open area surrounded by apartments and houses but my area is big enough to stretch out if I don't hot dog.

Anyways I had it at about 200' flying in manual mode with GPS lock and it started jittering. Then the thing ascended a bit and hovered. I had no control (Which should make it return) so I switch to return to home mode. Nothing. It leisurely started heading south about 200 yards then descended into the trees. It hit something and crashed and broke up with my Gopro flying into who knows where. Headed back out with a metal detector tomorrow to see if I can find the camera (although its probably damaged) The go pro was not it wifi mode.

The only thing suspected of causing stuff like this other than control module failure is some sort of interference. It definitely wasn't flying out of control. It was just like it had somewhere else to be.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This afternoon I needed a break so I went out to fly it in our office park. We have a fairly open area surrounded by apartments and houses but my area is big enough to stretch out if I don't hot dog.

Anyways I had it at about 200' flying in manual mode with GPS lock and it started jittering. Then the thing ascended a bit and hovered. I had no control (Which should make it return) so I switch to return to home mode. Nothing. It leisurely started heading south about 200 yards then descended into the trees. It hit something and crashed and broke up with my Gopro flying into who knows where. Headed back out with a metal detector tomorrow to see if I can find the camera (although its probably damaged) The go pro was not it wifi mode.

The only thing suspected of causing stuff like this other than control module failure is some sort of interference. It definitely wasn't flying out of control. It was just like it had somewhere else to be.

View Quote
There was a radio control field just off base in Kaneohe. We'd take a MEWSS vehicle out there and screw with the flyers.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Many folks fly next to Lanier Tech by the side of The Collection on Ronald Reagan Blvd off exit 13 in S Forsyth.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Were there power lines nearby?  It Ascending makes it sound like it lost remote signal or GPS and went into rtl mode but it's compass readings were off. We're you in stabilize or loiter mode?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Were there power lines nearby?  It Ascending makes it sound like it lost remote signal or GPS and went into rtl mode but it's compass readings were off. We're you in stabilize or loiter mode?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compass was calibrated 48 hours ago using the plugged in tutorial in mission planner. It was in full manual mode.

I had made a couple successful rtl try's yesterday and nothing had changed. It was all going great until it wasn't. From what I have read this happens with the Cx-20 periodically

I also wonder if the $150 deal from bang good was to get rid of the defective batch ;)
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
They have so many different versions, you really don't know what you'll get. Did  yours actually have  a apm or was it one of the other versions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They have so many different versions, you really don't know what you'll get. Did  yours actually have  a apm or was it one of the other versions?
View Quote

What am I looking for? It's the open source model.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Sux it crashed.  These things are pretty sweet and that mapping/survey/topo sounds intriguing...

OP, is your copter fixable or toast?

If anyone is looking for a large 40+ acre field field to fly in let me know.  We could probably work something out in exchange for some of the HD video.  Commerce/Athens area. 1hr 15 min from ITP Atl.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is helps identify some of the models. Mission planner should give the version if its an apm. A lot of the issues stem from the apm not being fastened down correctly. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2223149
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is helps identify some of the models. Mission planner should give the version if its an apm. A lot of the issues stem from the apm not being fastened down correctly. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2223149
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I recall correctly it was 3.1.2? Does that sound right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep it's apm, I'd update to this, and make sure that the apm is properly secured to the antivibration foam. Good luck finding the gopro, they aren't made of much metal. http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot.ie/2015/05/upgrading-firmware-to-315-cheerson.html?m=1
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Turn the volume up after the crash. We were nearly stepping on it half the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPbCeOcSUfo
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't understand why you crashed it into a tree? Seems expensive to me....

Btw Was it poison ivy?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't understand why you crashed it into a tree? Seems expensive to me....

Btw Was it poison ivy?
View Quote

No poison Ivy but I generally dont have a reaction to it. I just flew off. Search phantom or cx-20 flyaway
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I read the beginning of the thread, I was just messing with you.

Those things look like lots of fun! I want to get one but don't need another expensive hobby!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Dang, you were right on top of it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Supposedly some of the similar issues to yours are due to faulty battery packs. Since it is an APM, you can download the telemetry with mission planner. If you want me to take a look at it, I'll be glad to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Supposedly some of the similar issues to yours are due to faulty battery packs. Since it is an APM, you can download the telemetry with mission planner. If you want me to take a look at it, I'll be glad to.
View Quote

How do I do that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top