Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 11:35:13 AM EDT
So USAA has jacked my rates to what I view as ridiculous levels for firearms.  My stuff is stored in a good safe and only sees the light of day when being maintained, transported to range/hunting, or in use.  I'm looking for a new provider that should my stuff get stolen from my vehicle or somebody is good enough to cut open the safe will actually cover the loss.  I've read about the following on the forums

http://collectinsure.com/what-we-insure/guns-knives-accessories

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms-insurance

Anybody have any experience with either of these companies or able to make recommendations for a good firearms (including scopes/mounts) collection policy?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used Collectible Insurance for three years and really like them.  They have excellent rates, cover guns, knives, accessories, etc.  Not only do they cover them at home, but when shipping for repairs or in your vehicle.

There are some exceptions to note.  If your guns are stored in a safe in a Basement, they have to be at least six inches off the ground to be covered for a flood loss.

Also, make sure to tell them to turn off the auto-increase each year if your collection doesn't grow in size each year.  Otherwise they increase your coverage by 10% a year automatically.

Make sure to photograph all itema you want to cover including make, model, and serial numbers incase of theft or loss by fire.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://collectinsure.com/what-we-insure/guns-knives-accessories

TIA
View Quote

I and a couple of my friends use them, Jack Richardson is easy to work with.  We're happy, we haven't had to use them, so I'm even happier.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
collect insure. good to go. take good pictures and inventory everything with SNs.  they also insure your ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I use eastern which is where jack Richardson is. Collect insure was more expensive. Not sure what the differences are in coverage.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I stick with USAA because all my insurance is with them; auto, homeowners, and various riders.

USAA has been my only insurance company since I got my auto insurance back in 1986. I've had nothing but good experiences with them any time I have filed a claim.

The only insurance I don't use USAA  for is my Firearms Instructor insurance because they don't offer that.  I have that through the NRA /Lockton Insurance.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stick with USAA because all my insurance is with them; auto, homeowners, and various riders.

USAA has been my only insurance company since I got my auto insurance back in 1986. I've had nothing but good experiences with them any time I have filed a claim.

The only insurance I don't use USAA  for is my Firearms Instructor insurance because they don't offer that.  I have that through the NRA /Lockton Insurance.
View Quote

I've been a USAA member since 1981.  They used to be fantastic and are probably still better than average.  But their coverage rates for firearms is ridiculous.  I've made relatively few claims since I started with them and my rates for all the insurances that I pay are going up while the service is declining.  Not good.

My homeowner's rates are up about 50% over the last few years.  My car insurance is mid pack in price.  They were real good covering a 2010 truck break-in and pretty good with a lightning strike of my house in 2002.  They were terrible with an earthquake and with a stolen motorcycle when I was still in the military.

I'm actually shopping for new homeowners insurance as well.  My SSA would pay for a real nice thermal in the next 6 months.

For everyone else, thanks for the input!  I'll be calling the two folks on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
collect insure. good to go. take good pictures and inventory everything with SNs.  they also insure your ammo.
View Quote

what if the ammo is dystroyed in a series of small explosions spread out over a period of time?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what if the ammo is dystroyed in a series of small explosions spread out over a period of time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it goes like the brad pasley song they'll pay out then charge you with arson.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Very interesting.......I have not observed those rate increases on my coverages.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Eastern is $125 per $35,000 blanket coverage if I remember correctly. That beat out any other pricing I could find.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Eastern is $125 per $35,000 blanket coverage if I remember correctly. That beat out any other pricing I could find.
View Quote

is this per year?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

is this per year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is this per year?

Yes.... I'm going off of poor memory on the rate, but yes, it is the annual rate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes.... I'm going off of poor memory on the rate, but yes, it is the annual rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

is this per year?

That doesn't sound too bad actually.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]
The standard rate is $0.35 per $100.00 coverage for our “all risk,” worldwide coverage.  Our

minimum premium is $125.00 offering $35,000.00 in coverage.

View Quote

Thats a couple years old but still what I pay with HFI. Collect Insure was 2x that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
anyone have the hotlink for eastern?

I am looking for insurance for my collection

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Eastern

View Quote
thx

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top