Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 9:09:28 PM EDT
I taught a 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course on July 25-26 at the Elk Riger Training Center in Pelham TN.

Class was full and we had great weather. The 1,000yd steel took a beating! Lots of great folks and good shooters. Hung out at Jim's Smokehouse for dinner and had plenty of ribs.

Had one college kid from Kentucky shooting a stock SCAR-17 (other than the Geisselle trigger) topped with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm who shot that rig much better than I figured it would be capable of. He was fine with 168grn match ammo about to 800yds but started to get squirrelly after that. Another student loaned him some 175grn and he used it to repeatedly ring the 1,000yd steel. Outstanding!

Had a mix of bolt guns and autoloaders, MOA and mil optics, but oddly enough every single student shot .308. Can't remember the last time I had a course were all the students shot .308. This is also the only time in my recent memory where I didn't work on at least one student's rifle system sometime during the course.

After the course, a goodly portion of the students signed up for my Guerrilla Sniper Course at the same location on November 21-22, so I'll have the privilege of teaching them again.

SEMPER FI!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you notice if anybody was shooting a JP LRP-07? Comments if so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. One of the students is a repeat attender......he saw my JP LRP-07 last year and had me send him a copy of my build sheet. He ordered the exact same rifle as mine, although he topped his with a different optic; an S&B Ultra Short 5-20x50mm with the H59 reticle.  When he did what he was supposed to do, it shot exceptionally fine......no problems achieving consecutive hits out to 1,000 yards. He was using AWC 175grn BTHP ammo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I do 1200yard shots all day long with my scar17/bipod/14x scope

on battlefield4
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
No DPMS with a trigger full of rocks, eh?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Hah!  Hopefully never again!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I rented a SCAR 7.62 at an indoor range just to see and feel what a 7.62 is like in a semi auto.  I was impressed with how soft it shot.  The rental gun had a Vortex illuminated reticle optic on it that was wobbling loose.  The gun still shot about 2" at 25 yards with that wobble sight.  I told the range attendant about the loose mount (actually the mount was secure to the receiver but the optic wasn't secure) and the person didn't seem too interested.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#7]
With modern designs and manufacturing techniques, I guess it should be no surprise when a standard battle rifle is able to achieve this level of accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The standard SCAR 17 can be quite accurate.  I used mine in one of Joe Harris' Rockcastle Team match as the spotters gun.  Using my handloads, I could get pretty consistent 1 MOA performance.

The new Mark 20 SSR is even better.  It's sub MOA.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't handled the new DMR version yet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Had another identical course recently.  One of the shooters ran a tweaked Springfield Armory M1A in 7.62x51mm with a Vortex Viper PST FFP.  No issues at 1,000yds.......as long as he did what he was supposed to!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top