Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 10:07:01 AM EDT
With the help of a few of y'all, I think I am close to narrowing down why my outdoor fan unit won't fire up.  However, I'm not really comfortable tinkering with that high of voltage.  With the input from you guys, it sounds like it could just need a capacitor replacement, but I don't have the means or knowledge to test them.

Is there anyone in Walton, Oconee, or even Morgan county that you guys could refer me to?  I am located in Good Hope.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used barfield heating and air out of Monroe always had great service!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you checked the contactors?  I live real near that area and fire ants love to get in the contactors and shirt them out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
chadjetlag, I have not.  I wouldn't know where to look, honestly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

chadjetlag, I have not.  I wouldn't know where to look, honestly.
View Quote
The capicator is too easy to change to have a pro do it.  I've been doing commercial HVAC for 20 years. I could walk you thru this if you want me to.  If you have a grainger nearby it would help. They will have what you need. IM me if you want to.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Capacitor and contactor are behind a metal access panel.  You will need to remove around 4 machine screws to get to it.
[/URL]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The capicator is too easy to change to have a pro do it.  I've been doing commercial HVAC for 20 years. I could walk you thru this if you want me to.  If you have a grainger nearby it would help. They will have what you need. IM me if you want to.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I may take you up on this, cpl.  I do have a Grainger near by in Athens.  What makes me nervous is the whole discharging part.

Right now I'm trying to sort the part(s).  Cpl0313, I think you recommended replacing both capacitors and the relay for the bottom one.  Here are some pictures that I took yesterday.  I haven't been able to come up with a replacement online for either of these, nor the relay.

Here are some pictures:

To recap the issue I'm having:

Quoted:
I'm having  a similar issue with my Trane heatpump/outdoor unit.  Used a stick.  The unit clicked, then after a few seconds I could hear a low humming noise, but the fan never started spinning.  I have had people tell me to try to spin start the fan, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  The capacitors look to be in good shape - no bulges.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, not sure why the photos aren't showing up.  Is it just me?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If they have been off for any substantial amount of time they should be discharged. If your really worried about it short the terminals with a old screwdriver. You have a potential relay, start capicator and a dual run capicator. I would replace all three. The silver round cap is a dual cap. Its for the fan and compressor. The black cap is the start cap and works in conjunction with the black potential relay.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The run cap is a 30 and 5 mfd at 440vac.

Start with replacing that one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If they have been off for any substantial amount of time they should be discharged. If your really worried about it short the terminals with a old screwdriver. You have a potential relay, start capicator and a dual run capicator. I would replace all three. The silver round cap is a dual cap. Its for the fan and compressor. The black cap is the start cap and works in conjunction with the black potential relay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, cpl0313.  Again, I know very, very little about electricity.  It scares the hell out of me because it can kill me and I can't even see it.  

Quoted:

Any tips on where to find the parts would be appreciated.  I think I found a replacement for the dual run capacitor on ebay, but $40 seems a bit high:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Genteq-Run-Capacitor-Round-30-5-uf-440-volt-27L20-/350456682158?hash=item5198d896ae
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks, cpl0313.  Again, I know very, very little about electricity.  It scares the hell out of me because it can kill me and I can't even see it.  
Any tips on where to find the parts would be appreciated.  I think I found a replacement for the dual run capacitor on ebay, but $40 seems a bit high:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Genteq-Run-Capacitor-Round-30-5-uf-440-volt-27L20-/350456682158?hash=item5198d896ae

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grainger. Your appRently not in a huge hurry, I can pick them up and ship them to you if you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top