BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nah, we'll get you back there! We still got nearly 3 weeks to blaze a path for your "home away from home." What do we need, about 10' of clearance? Get a measurement so we can start chopping. No way am I gonna let the shooting bench builder deluxe be banished to the hinterlands due to a few low hanging branches!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know SC mentioned needing power for some 'show and tell' movie time but it probably wouldn't take too much power for that....The camper we're bringing is self contained with a small Honda generator and it probably won't make it much further than the first clearing area at the old trailer location (the home away from home is a 26' pull behind) ......

Nah, we'll get you back there! We still got nearly 3 weeks to blaze a path for your "home away from home." What do we need, about 10' of clearance? Get a measurement so we can start chopping. No way am I gonna let the shooting bench builder deluxe be banished to the hinterlands due to a few low hanging branches!!!

I was checking my mirrors with a 16' flat bed.  I would want a few spotters with a 26' camper!  (good ones... not like "wait a second.... I'm not ready to start recording yet")
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm camping. Was planning on bringing a genset to help run things, but if GlockFan can supply that type of power I will just donate to the diesel fund.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm more worried about that last right hand turn before the electric fence gate....The thing isn't hinged in the middle LOL....

Seriously, the time spent getting the range, grill, parking areas, fire pit and general hang out areas should take priority over us being able to get my 'I ain't sleeping on the ground with THIS back' camper in there....If time and manpower permits it would be great but it's not much of a walk (or stumble) to the front spot....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm more worried about that last right hand turn before the electric fence gate....The thing isn't hinged in the middle LOL....

Seriously, the time spent getting the range, grill, parking areas, fire pit and general hang out areas should take priority over us being able to get my 'I ain't sleeping on the ground with THIS back' camper in there....If time and manpower permits it would be great but it's not much of a walk (or stumble) to the front spot....
View Quote

I'll eyeball it, but if you need to swing it a wee bit wider on that last right hand corner, i'm thinking there's only one medium sized tree in the way, that needs to be limbed up anyway. It might be easier to cut the tree down than to limb it up....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Bring the diesel genset Joe. That will be awesome.

I'll be camping friday and saturday night.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Trees make good firewood I hear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be camping Fri and Sat night also. I'm gonna bring the EU1000 for fan,air mattress pump, etc. Do I need to bring my grilling grate to cook on Fri night or will the pit be set up to cook steaks? I will also have my chainsaw, ax and splitting maul to process bonfire wood and I'll bring fatlighter. A few steel targets will be coming with me too. I have aluminum powder left over from the spring shoot if a few people can bring ammonium nitrate and jugs for tannerite.

ETA. +1 on the big generator.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be there Friday-Sunday as well. Getting the honda genny out this weekend for an oil change and new plug and if it ain't dead for whatever reason that I can't fix I'll be bringing it along. With two EU's we should have enough quiet power for about anything folks bring if you bring the diesel, plus any other gennies that show up. Looks like we have power covered plus overkill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll be camping Fri and Sat night also. I'm gonna bring the EU1000 for fan,air mattress pump, etc. Do I need to bring my grilling grate to cook on Fri night or will the pit be set up to cook steaks? I will also have my chainsaw, ax and splitting maul to process bonfire wood and I'll bring fatlighter. A few steel targets will be coming with me too. I have aluminum powder left over from the spring shoot if a few people can bring ammonium nitrate and jugs for tannerite.

View Quote

Bbq pit should be up by then. I plan to do it this saturday. If something comes up I'll bring my propane grill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
GPC (Glockfan Power Company)

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bbq pit should be up by then. I plan to do it this saturday. If something comes up I'll bring my propane grill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SC do you still need a grate for the pit?....If so, let me know the exact dimensions and I'll see what I can come up with....(Photos of the completed pit where the grate goes would be a help)....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/EANwzVS.jpg
View Quote

Wow....That's one niiiiiiiiice mobile power company you've put together.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that's badass. What do you have in a rig like that? If you don't mind that is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Freaking Awesome!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Now that's badass. What do you have in a rig like that? If you don't mind that is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could perhaps discuss at the shoot. Mostly time and a lot of help from just a few folks...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
i can vouch for Joe's electric company, he let my family stay with his when we had the ice storm and had no power for days
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't wait to see Joe's Power Company! That's badass!!!

I'll bring a 5 gallon jug of go juice for it. I keep extra around, cuz I heat with it at the shop, and run it thru my ancient '84 Mercedes 300 diesel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I may have to bring my bug light now

I've heard it (the gen set) run.  It sounds like winning, only a little quieter!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Would there be room for 2 more? It's hard for me to plan too far out but the fiance is in, she want's to go camping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#20]
YAY!!!!!

I got all 4 brush blades in today!!!!! I currently have 2 weedeaters that I can put 2 of them on, and have a third one here at the shop that won't crank. Gonna tinker with it today and tomorrow and see if I can get it to go VROOM VROOM! <fingers crossed>

If any of y'all are bringing straight shaft weedeaters to the work day, I'll have either one or two brush blades to put on weedeaters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Would there be room for 2 more? It's hard for me to plan too far out but the fiance is in, she want's to go camping.
View Quote

Sure. You for sure in?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

SC do you still need a grate for the pit?....If so, let me know the exact dimensions and I'll see what I can come up with....(Photos of the completed pit where the grate goes would be a help)....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we will need a grate. I'll have you some dimensions and pics saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sure. You for sure in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. You for sure in?

Yes
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. You for sure in?

Yes

Done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
We're up to $370 in the pot as of now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
YAY!!!!!

I got all 4 brush blades in today!!!!! I currently have 2 weedeaters that I can put 2 of them on, and have a third one here at the shop that won't crank. Gonna tinker with it today and tomorrow and see if I can get it to go VROOM VROOM! <fingers crossed>

If any of y'all are bringing straight shaft weedeaters to the work day, I'll have either one or two brush blades to put on weedeaters.
View Quote

We'll be there about 8-8:30 in the morning. I'll call you when I get close.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YAY!!!!!

I'll be hanging out in my old baby blue Mercedes waiting for y'all!

Anybody need directions???
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#28]
if Garry and i weren't working we would be there
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#29]
There's still another work day on 9/19.....  
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Draconis, that expanded metal I need for the BBQ pit needs to be 48" x 80", and I will also need 2 sheets of 4' x 4' 16g steel and one sheet of 2' x 4' 16g steel. Corrugated steel will do. I'm going to price some of that this morning.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Draconis, that expanded metal I need for the BBQ pit needs to be 48" x 80", and I will also need 2 sheets of 4' x 4' 16g steel and one sheet of 2' x 4' 16g steel. Corrugated steel will do. I'm going to price some of that this morning.
View Quote

I can lay hands on some galvanized roof decking or slab decking but I would have to see if there is enough for 4x4 and 2x4....If it's for a cover not directly exposed to high heat, I can lay hands on enough pre-engineered building liner panel 36" wide to cover those areas.....
Let me know and I'll see what's close to hand Tuesday...
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

if I'm not scheduled to work, i'll be there
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meme and I plan to be there on the 9th...We've got one more bench frame to set, the tops to mount and the seats to install....

Another question: At the pistol range area, would a run of orange barricade fence at the line be useful?  An opening at the center to go change the targets when the range is cold?  The edge of the rifle range is obviously the front edge of the benches, but a line in the dirt or paint at the pistol range is likely to be violated easier....
We might even consider turning the fence back to form an 'entrance' at the rifle range as well.....

What say you SC and Emu?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Meme and I plan to be there on the 9th...We've got one more bench frame to set, the tops to mount and the seats to install....

Another question: At the pistol range area, would a run of orange barricade fence at the line be useful?  An opening at the center to go change the targets when the range is cold?  The edge of the rifle range is obviously the front edge of the benches, but a line in the dirt or paint at the pistol range is likely to be violated easier....
We might even consider turning the fence back to form an 'entrance' at the rifle range as well.....

What say you SC and Emu?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What say you SC and Emu?

We've got that covered already. Going to be explained the day of the shoot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can lay hands on some galvanized roof decking or slab decking but I would have to see if there is enough for 4x4 and 2x4....If it's for a cover not directly exposed to high heat, I can lay hands on enough pre-engineered building liner panel 36" wide to cover those areas.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll be the covers over the food grate to hold the heat in and the front cover for coal access. They actually can be less than 4' long as long as they are 4' wide. The pit is 48" x 80" and we need to be able to remove about half of that area to get to the food, so any combination of pieces that gives us the length of 80" but is at least 4' wide will work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Range work went well today. I'm sure RolanDeschain will be along to post progress pictures soon.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I will try to make the 9/19 clean up. I got the weekend of the shoot off from the wife, but being pregnant with a two year old can make it difficult .
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I will try to make the 9/19 clean up. I got the weekend of the shoot off from the wife, but being pregnant with a two year old can make it difficult .
View Quote

Your wife is a trooper. If mine was pregnant with a 2 year old she'd be driving me insane.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Your wife is a trooper. If mine was pregnant with a 2 year old she'd be driving me insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is (ETA: driving me crazy), that's why I told her no matter what I am going, I had to promise to go to babyland general last weekend for the 2 year old though .
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok.  Here are the progress pics from today. Crappy I-Potato pics, but should give you an idea.

From the 200yd berm looking back to the line:

From behind the the line looking out. Notice the benches.  Nice work Draconis!

BBQ Pit:

Bonfire mound started in front of 400North's swimming pool:  The pile is bigger than it looks and is mostly briar bushes that we removed from the range.

Thanks for all those that have volunteered their time, talents and resources so far and those who will before it's over.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Great work guys....Doesn't look like the same place...There is quite a bit of sweat involved in getting things looking that good...
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Great work guys....Doesn't look like the same place...There is quite a bit of sweat involved in getting things looking that good...
View Quote

Well put.  That looks great!

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow, just WOW!!!

The place is beginning to look nearly park like!!!! Can't wait to see it when it's finally done!!!

A BIG thanks to Southerncross and RolandD for gathering blocks from the "burnt house," building the BBQ pit, and running the weedeaters with brush blades on them! Talk about a wicked weapon, brush blades on a straight shaft weedeater are Zombie Apocolypse worthy!!! Great pics RolandD, but they don't do justice to the amount of work y'all did today!

Tok762 is the weedeater wizard! This was his second workday, the only GAHTF member to do two so far this year. He was also instrumental in the initial planning stages of the range, back when it was first envisioned. This guy is like a machine! Point him at he job and he goes fullbore! THANKS Tok, for all the blood, sweat, and tears, to date!

Redwolf had the easiest, and the toughest job out there today. He ran his riding mower for all but 8 hours today!!!  Sounds easy?!? Pffft!!! Did I mention the 5' blackberry brambles he was mowing down with his mighty mower? Those vicious brambles lacerated him every chance they got! I didn't see him afterwards, but was there to see how durn cut up be was after just the first half hour. I suspect they had to give him at least two blood transfusions to get him thru the day! All this from a guy who suffered a detached retina about 3-4 weeks ago. The SOB needs to be taking it easy, but he twisted my arm into getting me to work with him out there AGAIN on Labor Day!

If any of y'all want to come out Labor Day, let me know. I'll be glad to send directions! There's still LOTS to do. The last work day is 9/19. Everyone is invited!!! If you want to come out some other time, to work on your own, it's not a problem.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK GUYS, FROM **ALL** THE WORK DAYS!!!!
I cannot believe how the place looks now, and can't wait to see the finished product. I'm betting there's plenty of pro ranges that won't hold a candle to this one!!! The GAHTF is gonna be forever in y'all's debt for all the hard work!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry for the lack of communication, If it wasn't for Emu, I would have missed this entirely.

Please sign me up with a +2. After speaking with Emu, I will be working as a RO for the event. I can do the 9/19 workday and one of my two extras should be able to as well.

I'll be able to bring a pickup and some modest tools to the workday.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Great to have you aboard! I'm sure Southerncross will be along soon to add you to the list. Did you plan to camp? We are getting started Friday, and breaking up on Sunday, if so. In case you didn't read all 1,243 1/3 pages of this thread, the GAHTF will be doing a lunch and supper for attendees. Southerncross is collecting donations to cover food costs, as well as misc. costs of the shoot. He's got a Paypal account listed on here in the OP, for donations, or possibly you could ante up at the work day. The sooner the better for planning purposes though.

It'll be good to see you again. Hope you can camp out with us to enjoy the after hours festivities too! Glad you can make it out!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#46]
A friendly reminder! If anyone wants electricity in their campsite, you will need a drop cord to run from the generator. You may want to run a fan, little fridge, etc.. I will be providing 60+ amps of 120-volt power to as many people as it will sustain. I plan to start up the power Friday once I am there and shut down Sunday morning. You will barely know the thing is running! Even at full load, we might burn a gallon of diesel per hour. The generator has two 30A RV circuits, two 20A 120V circuits, and a porch light!

Since Redgoat supplied me with some paint and a sprayer, it may get a new paint job prior to the event.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Definitely. If you could please PM me or post them it would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Definitely. If you could please PM me or post them it would be much appreciated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i also need directions, thank you
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A friendly reminder! If anyone wants electricity in their campsite, you will need a drop cord to run from the generator. You may want to run a fan, little fridge, etc.. I will be providing 60+ amps of 120-volt power to as many people as it will sustain. I plan to start up the power Friday once I am there and shut down Sunday morning. You will barely know the thing is running! Even at full load, we might burn a gallon of diesel per hour. The generator has two 30A RV circuits, two 20A 120V circuits, and a porch light!

Since Redgoat supplied me with some paint and a sprayer, it may get a new paint job prior to the event.
View Quote

Awesome.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It'll be the covers over the food grate to hold the heat in and the front cover for coal access. They actually can be less than 4' long as long as they are 4' wide. The pit is 48" x 80" and we need to be able to remove about half of that area to get to the food, so any combination of pieces that gives us the length of 80" but is at least 4' wide will work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joy on the sheetmetal.....What I had 'available' decided to grow legs over the holiday weekend and is no longer 'available'....Can't complain since it was just leftovers, but dammit I had PLANS for that stuff........

...Sorry....
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top