User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, you're the first person that I know of to have a negative experiance there. It's one of my favorite 'local* places.
ETA...It's a very personalized experiance btw....Hate to tell you buts it's the best 'local' Italian place unless you want to drive ITP.
View Quote

The personalized experience was WAY over the top in my opinion. "Smothering service" best describes it... and the food was bleak at best. GF had an Alfredo dish that was very watered down and lacking flavor. Spaghetti and meatballs are difficult to mess up, yet mine had a very sour sauce and meatballs appeared to be frozen.

Sofar our best dinners have been at Bello Italian. Been there a couple times now and still very pleased.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
One of our favorite places to eat in Cumming is Coco's Cuban restaurant on hwy 20 about a mile east of marketplace blvd. My wife is Puerto Rican and the food there is a lot like what her mother cooks (which is damn good).
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The personalized experience was WAY over the top in my opinion. "Smothering service" best describes it... and the food was bleak at best. GF had an Alfredo dish that was very watered down and lacking flavor. Spaghetti and meatballs are difficult to mess up, yet mine had a very sour sauce and meatballs appeared to be frozen.

Sofar our best dinners have been at Bello Italian. Been there a couple times now and still very pleased.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, you're the first person that I know of to have a negative experiance there. It's one of my favorite 'local* places.
ETA...It's a very personalized experiance btw....Hate to tell you buts it's the best 'local' Italian place unless you want to drive ITP.

I didn't get the smothering service (quite the opposite), until dessert and then the guy pushed way too hard.  I just couldn't believe the burnt bread they actually served us (parts were edible).

I know of a ton of good places south of Cumming (Roswell, Jimmy Carter & 85, Buford Hwy, etc..), but as far as local I'll make these quick suggestions as far as comfort food (I rarely get these).
If you like fried chicken livers, Midway Mealhouse does them correctly (I'm picky on these and Cracker Barrel's livers suck), but every side will just be ok (think veggies out of a can). I haven't been there in a long time though.
Roasters on exit 11 has good hot wings as has been mentioned, get 50 to go.

Indian Food, Madras Chettinad on exit 10 is good, or Myzenes Coastal Cuisine (little more expensive) on Pchtree pkwy near McGinnis.
Decent Pho place on Pchtree parkway and State Bridge.
Los Hermanos has decent Mexican, good tamales and chile relleno

If you like doughnuts, go to Dutch Monkey Doughnuts on exit 13.

I haven't been to Bello Italian or Cocos, will try both out soon.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of donuts, the Donut Depot next to Ingles has very good donuts

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
They do have great donuts.

I did think of one shiny little star in town.  La Rosita Taqueria, next to La Rosita Hispanic grocery store.   Not date night nice, but you can stuff down some tacos de barbacoa and tacos de lengua there.  Dropped by for a big bowl of menudo with roasted jalapenos this morning.  Wasn't even hung over, ate menudo anyway.  :)

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Fry Me to the Moon across from Midway meal house does the fried seafood thing pretty well, and prices are reasonable. Today I got fish and shrimp with a side of fried zucchini to go ( they were out of the fried green beans, which I highly recommend). Had it at home with some homemade Greek style blackeye pea and spinach salad, and a icy cold Stella Cidre (on sale $14/12-pack at Publix).
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didn't get the smothering service (quite the opposite), until dessert and then the guy pushed way too hard.  I just couldn't believe the burnt bread they actually served us (parts were edible).

I know of a ton of good places south of Cumming (Roswell, Jimmy Carter & 85, Buford Hwy, etc..), but as far as local I'll make these quick suggestions as far as comfort food (I rarely get these).
If you like fried chicken livers, Midway Mealhouse does them correctly (I'm picky on these and Cracker Barrel's livers suck), but every side will just be ok (think veggies out of a can). I haven't been there in a long time though.

Indian Food, Madras Chettinad on exit 10 is good, or Myzenes Coastal Cuisine (little more expensive) on Pchtree pkwy near McGinnis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rooster Cafe in downtown Cumming does the best wings, Rooster Red FTW. Hit up on M or W for all you can eat wings.  Again on Italian I think I see the problem with your Casa Nuevo experience; if you're looking for spaghetti or lasagna you need to go elsewhere. Last night I had the stuffed veal with Fontana cheese, sundriied tomatoes and spinach served over pasta in a cream mushroom sauce. Try Privinos if you're looking for Italian comfort food.

I wish we had a good brew pub in Cumming, Tanners/Cherry St is ok but the food and beer are average.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I did think of one shiny little star in town.  La Rosita Taqueria, next to La Rosita Hispanic grocery store.   Not date night nice, but you can stuff down some tacos de barbacoa and tacos de lengua there.  Dropped by for a big bowl of menudo with roasted jalapenos this morning.  Wasn't even hung over, ate menudo anyway.  :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to try that place out, that's right on the corner across from the Sinclair station

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope had one of the veal dishes, which should be tender not so tough a butter knife won't make a dent.  I can easily pan fry a veal cutlet to death at home, no need to pay for someone else to do it.

I mentioned comfort food because occasionally a few times a year I eat the comfort food I grew up with as a southerner.

I can give recs on many really good places but haven't found any yet in the cumming area.
Now, instead of fancy places that serve very intricate dishes I'm into reasonably priced authentic so called "ethnic food" whether it's authentic Ethopian, Cambodian, Indian, French, Greek, etc..., and the different regions within each country/region

Quoted:

Rooster Cafe in downtown Cumming does the best wings, Rooster Red FTW. Hit up on M or W for all you can eat wings.  Again on Italian I think I see the problem with your Casa Nuevo experience; if you're looking for spaghetti or lasagna you need to go elsewhere. Last night I had the stuffed veal with Fontana cheese, sundriied tomatoes and spinach served over pasta in a cream mushroom sauce. Try Privinos if you're looking for Italian comfort food.

I wish we had a good brew pub in Cumming, Tanners/Cherry St is ok but the food and beer are average.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nope had one of the veal dishes, which should be tender not so tough a butter knife won't make a dent.  I can easily pan fry a veal cutlet to death at home, no need to pay for someone else to do it.

I mentioned comfort food because occasionally a few times a year I eat the comfort food I grew up with as a southerner.

I can give recs on many really good places but haven't found any yet in the cumming area.
Now, instead of fancy places that serve very intricate dishes I'm into reasonably priced authentic so called "ethnic food" whether it's authentic Ethopian, Cambodian, Indian, French, Greek, etc..., and the different regions within each country/region

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As mentioned, great restaurants are rare in the immediate area. Oh and when are you having me over for dinner?

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Atevat Parma in Buford, about 20 minutes from Cumming down 20, pretty good .
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I need to try that place out, that's right on the corner across from the Sinclair station

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  Other Hispanic Grocery store.   It's a little bit down Dahlonega Street from the square.  La Rosita. The taqueria by the Supermercardo is pretty okay, but I like the food at La Rosita Better.  I grocery shop at the La Rosita when it is my day to cook.  :)

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope.  Other Hispanic Grocery store.   It's a little bit down Dahlonega Street from the square.  La Rosita. The taqueria by the Supermercardo is pretty okay, but I like the food at La Rosita Better.  I grocery shop at the La Rosita when it is my day to cook.  :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to check it out, I know where you're talking about now. There's like three in a 1/2 area

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Good meeting you and Julie this evening, Art! We shall go shooting soon, I am sure. Good to have other arfcommers in da hood!
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Went to Fergueson Meat market, its 2 minutes from my house.  It's  going to make me poor and fatter than i already am.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good meeting you and Julie this evening, Art! We shall go shooting soon, I am sure. Good to have other arfcommers in da hood!
View Quote

Ditto that bud !
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Went to Fergueson Meat market, its 2 minutes from my house.  It's  going to make me poor and fatter than i already am.
View Quote

Good place to buy meet yet I still get most of it from Costco. The usually have good Tri-Tips.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good place to buy meet yet I still get most of it from Costco. The usually have good Tri-Tips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got  a Costco membership, also have BJs, they havegood meats also
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
We got a puppy so now we really   need a vet, was goung to get one eventually for the others dogs. I posted about  t this a while ago but can't  find the thread ,  suggestions? Also, i cannot properly pronounce Dahlonega.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Orr on Old Atlanta. Good vet.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Duh-Lon-Uh-Guh....best I got.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Duh-Lon-Uh-Guh....best I got.
View Quote

That works, I'm   polish and grew up in an area with a ton od Indian names, but i feel compelled to pronounce every letter for  some reaon.  I usually  end up saying  dahl an egg ah
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use Orr on Old Atlanta. Good vet.

View Quote

Thanks,  i think that who was recommended   i the thread  I can't  find
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We got a puppy so now we really   need a vet, was goung to get one eventually for the others dogs. I posted about  t this a while ago but can't  find the thread ,  suggestions? Also, i cannot properly pronounce Dahlonega.
View Quote

It's a haul but we still take our pooch to Alpharetta Animal but have heard good things about Coal Mountian.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top