BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Major kudos to GAHunter95 for putting on an awesome production. Special thanks goes out to GAJeep for getting up at the buttcrack of dawn to cook some killer BBQ. This is truly a great group of folks we have in the GAHTF. This is certainly not your group of stereotypical ARFCOMMERS. IF you don't make a point to make it to these events; you are missing out. I had a blast and look forward to seeing y'all in two weeks.

ETA. A very special thanks to our sponsor Larue Tactical for the great prizes and swag.
View Quote

I second this sentiment.

Pics of swag and the trigger for a 1 MOA target I managed to eek out.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, this was a great event.  Huge thanks to Mark Larue for sponsoring and to GAHunter95 for hosting.

Thanks also to everyone who purchased and prepared food for our lunch.  

It was a fantastic day to be outside shooting with everyone that turned out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Major kudos to GAHunter95 for putting on an awesome production. Special thanks goes out to GAJeep for getting up at the buttcrack of dawn to cook some killer BBQ. This is truly a great group of folks we have in the GAHTF. This is certainly not your group of stereotypical ARFCOMMERS. IF you don't make a point to make it to these events; you are missing out. I had a blast and look forward to seeing y'all in two weeks.

ETA. A very special thanks to our sponsor Larue Tactical for the great prizes and swag.
View Quote

+100

Meme and I had a great time as well....Gahunter has a great set up out there and Gajeep can smoke a mean butt and everyone is a joy to be around..A hugh thanks to these guys and Mark LaRue......I enjoyed finally getting a chance to put a face to some names....
Anyone who could've made it but didn't come really missed out...

...I'm in for next year....hopefully minus the head cold.....

Are we allowed to post a big Thank You on Mark's page?

ETA pic
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here. Had a good time and learned a few things. Thanks to Larue Tactical and Gahunter95 for making this happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks.

Well said.

I am now home, the truck is unloaded, and the dog got a much needed bath.  Time to start working on some responses.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I second this sentiment.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q659/talrx1/IMG_1093_zpsxhbjh4tl.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this sentiment.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q659/talrx1/IMG_1093_zpsxhbjh4tl.jpg

Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep, this was a great event.  Huge thanks to Mark Larue for sponsoring and to GAHunter95 for hosting.

Thanks also to everyone who purchased and prepared food for our lunch.  

It was a fantastic day to be outside shooting with everyone that turned out.
View Quote

Thanks.

The food was incredible.  We were all wondering if that much food would ruin us for the afternoon... Turns out it made us try harder, and perform better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+100

Meme and I had a great time as well....Gahunter has a great set up out there and Gajeep can smoke a mean butt and everyone is a joy to be around..A hugh thanks to these guys and Mark LaRue......I enjoyed finally getting a chance to put a face to some names....

ETA pic
http://i62.tinypic.com/2vblngy.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+100

ETA pic
http://i62.tinypic.com/2vblngy.jpg

Southrncross is way ahead of you.  give thanks here
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same here. Had a good time and learned a few things. Thanks to Larue Tactical and Gahunter95 for making this happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.  I learned a lot as well.  I'm not sure how much I was able to help people, but I can honestly say I did everything I could at trying to get as many people into the MOA club as possible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ditto.  I learned a lot as well.  I'm not sure how much I was able to help people, but I can honestly say I did everything I could at trying to get as many people into the MOA club as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you did. I really appreciate all the help you gave me, including letting me borrow equipment/ammo. You're a class act Mike. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one person tell me they wouldn't do nearly as much as I did if they were the host.  This is probably true as I hadn't planned on doing so much.  But when the rubber meets the road, I feel that it's all on my shoulders.  How much fun would it have been if only 3 people made the challenge?  I saw the HTF big names in precision shooting dropping out, or completely staying on the sidelines for this shoot.  I can't blame them.  They all have personal and professional duties that interfere with the fun things in life.  Plus, my range has never held a precision shoot and they've never been out there.  The boom boom part of the HTF does not usually cross paths with the precision shooters.  

Now for the story on THE upper.

Anyhow... when I realized none of the heavy hitters were coming, I was wondering what to do.  The only gun of mine that I have proven to be sub MOA is my 17HMR.  Do I have others that are sub MOA?  I am 99% sure I do, but I haven't taken the time to prove it.  So I was surfing arfcom about 10 days before the shoot and this popped into my screen.  Here's your sign.  A few emails, and UPS was putting it on a plane to get it here on time.  The Atlas bipod and a case of FGMM 77 arrived at my house the day I bought this.   I had a used scope that I bought from Bookhound that was still collecting dust on a shelf.  Suddenly things were coming together.   I needed a mount... and fast!  A quick stop at LaRue tactical's website and I was set.  In the 'special comments' section, I put that I needed this for the MOA shoot coming up this weekend.  I didn't call or contact ML (or anyone at LT) to try and garner any special favor from them, as I feel they had done more than enough to make this shoot happen.  I got the shipping confirmation the same day that I ordered the mount.  

So I did buy an upper for the shoot.  Did I think I would win?  The same level of thought I give to a lotto ticket.  I'm not that good of a shot and I honestly thought we would see some 0.4-0.5 groups.  Do I like knowing that I have an upper that is super accurate?  You bet!  

I haven't looked at the totals, but I think about 8 people made the challenge using this upper.  I ran it on 2 different new lowers.  Both RRA, both fixed stock (one ace skeleton, and the other with an A2), factory buffer, springs, one with the all new LaRue MBT, and the other with a RRA 2 stage varmit.  

I hadn't really planned on building a mouse gun, but now that I have it, it sure is fun.  

Busy now, but I'll try to write more tonight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had one person tell me they wouldn't do nearly as much as I did if they were the host.  This is probably true as I hadn't planned on doing so much.  But when the rubber meets the road, I feel that it's all on my shoulders.  How much fun would it have been if only 3 people made the challenge?  I saw the HTF big names in precision shooting dropping out, or completely staying on the sidelines for this shoot.  I can't blame them.  They all have personal and professional duties that interfere with the fun things in life.  Plus, my range has never held a precision shoot and they've never been out there.  The boom boom part of the HTF does not usually cross paths with the precision shooters.  

(snip)

View Quote

...And I, for one, am glad you went to all the trouble.....Sure, I wanted to 'run with what I brung' and shoot sub MOA, but after three tries it was obvious what I brung, and me, weren't up to the task....Without your gracious offer to use the 'ringer' I wouldn't be the proud owner of a MBT and for that I offer my sincere thanks.....
...For me, the new goal is the same as the old goal.....I hope to improve my set up, loads and skill so next year I will not have to depend so much on the precision of someone else's fine equipment.........and their patience...
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh man...What a weekend. I am too sore and too tired to post what I want too. I will later. Big thanks to Mike for all he has done for the GaHTF, not just for this shoot but for ghee....13?.... Other times he has done this. I volunteered to help out any way I could before I realized how much with he does before and after a shoot. Just the amount of with I knew he did was over whelming!

And to rich.... CoC doesn't allow me to say what I want.... But the Apple pie did! In all seriousness, glad you won. You deserved it...I guess.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys,

Thank you for a great day. Even though I was the only female for most of the day all of you made me feel welcome. No one even snickered at my shooting skills or the lack of skills. I can only get better from this point and at least all 25 shots were on the target. Draconis tells me I may not have MOA skills yet, but I do have MOB (moment of bad guy) skills. I do hope that maybe there will be more women in the future, because they have no idea how much fun they missed.

Thanks again and I look forward to the end of September,
Meme
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a great time, thanks Mike for putting this on for everyone. Good food and good people made for an enjoyable time. Seth did great with the BBQ, and it made my terrible shooting easier to live with. I'm in for the next one as well.

Hope to see y'all in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to echo everyone else's comments here too.  The turnout was lighter than expected, but I think it was perfect!.  Everyone had a chance to humble themselves with their equipment and then try with Mike's magic upper if they so desired.  That gun was amazing and now I have the itch to start upgrading equipment!  Oh well, its only money...

Mike was an amazing host and really put on a great shoot.  I cannot thank him enough for his hospitality and generosity in hosting this event.  

Now for the pictures.  GAHunter95's was the first to break the ice with his 17HMR.

17hmr1 by jsupple, on Flickr

17HMR2 by jsupple, on Flickr

17HMR3 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
GAhunter95 with the Stealth

FullSizeRender (1) by jsupple, on Flickr

FullSizeRender (2) by jsupple, on Flickr

FullSizeRender by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a great time, those that didn't attend really missed out, I hope we can make this an annual thing and they can make it next year. I can't wait to do it again. I really wish I could have stayed at the fire longer(there was a possum in Carrollton that wishes I did too) y'all are a great bunch of guys. Mike, you are a great host and your property is a little slice of heaven. I can't thank you enough for letting me shoot the stealth, I now fell like a junky who is going to chase tighter and tighter groups . Mark LaRue, I am officially a fan boy. Thank you for all of to support you gave us, you are a very generous man and I would like to shake you hand someday. I don't know when it will be but I will own one of your rifles.. We have a great bunch of men and women in the HTF and I am glad I got to meet you all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
DSC_0056 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0057 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0050 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#20]
DSC_0064 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0065 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0067 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
DSC_0060 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0058 by jsupple, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
DSC_0069 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0070 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0034 by jsupple, on Flickr

JUst to prove that not all the groups were sub MOA.  Still an outstanding group!
DSC_0073 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the pics Joeys.

Shooters... grab your pics, re-host them, and post up your scores in the official thread.  Here
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#24]
DSC_0051 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0052 by jsupple, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#25]
DSC_0072 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0071 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0067 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#26]
DSC_0044 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0055 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0008 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#27]
DSC_0059 by jsupple, on Flickr

Tried with my rifle... no luck.

DSC_0037 by jsupple, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
random pics

DSC_0002 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0007 by jsupple, on Flickr

Lunch
DSC_0046 by jsupple, on Flickr

GAJEEP pork
DSC_0047 by jsupple, on Flickr

Mike trying the MOA with everything.
DSC_0068 by jsupple, on Flickr

Butterfly trying out the Stealth
DSC_0079 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0027 by jsupple, on Flickr

DSC_0030 by jsupple, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a link to all my pics.  Feel free to grab the high res versions out of there. dropbox link

Once again, a BIG thanks to GAHunter for hosting all of us yahoos and everyone that contributed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the pics joeys!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xDKCfo" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5642/20774281914_ee2caf4072_z.jpg</a>DSC_0044 by jsupple, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xDUeAX" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5789/20775961743_6bd9dd0b1b_z.jpg</a>DSC_0055 by jsupple, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xDTuZK" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5706/20775818413_e52ec2728b_z.jpg</a>DSC_0008 by jsupple, on Flickr
View Quote

great shooting Hugh !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, is all I can say. A big thanks to all who showed up, especially GaJeep, and GaHunter. You guys really did a great job.

Congrats to all the MOA shooters that got their triggers. It is something to be proud of.

A huge thank you to Larue Tactical for all the great swag and prizes. I truly thought the winners were going to get a cool hat or tshirt.

I was shocked when I found out, after shooting, that the grand prize was a complete rifle.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, is all I can say. A big thanks to all who showed up, especially GaJeep, and GaHunter. You guys really did a great job.

Congrats to all the MOA shooters that got their triggers. It is something to be proud of.

A huge thank you to Larue Tactical for all the great swag and prizes. I truly thought the winners were going to get a cool hat or tshirt.

I was shocked when I found out, after shooting, that the grand prize was a complete rifle.

Rich
View Quote

...and a big congratulations to you Rich.....You lucky devil you......Of course, you KNOW that you've got to bring the new toy to the next MOA shoot so we can all drool over it....and you have to let us know what it likes to eat so we can bring some and try to win the (maybe? hopefully?wishing?) next one with it....

...Oh, and you are forbidden from winning the (maybe) next one....New rule....
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xDKCfo" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5642/20774281914_ee2caf4072_z.jpg</a>DSC_0044 by jsupple, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xDUeAX" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5789/20775961743_6bd9dd0b1b_z.jpg</a>DSC_0055 by jsupple, on Flickr

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xDTuZK" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5706/20775818413_e52ec2728b_z.jpg</a>DSC_0008 by jsupple, on Flickr

Thanks buddy!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#35]
When you post in the official MOA challenge thread...

Here some info you will need

The last line of you post needs the following.  I just copied the whole thing into my entry, and then filled out the important info below it.  100 yard group average divide by 1.047 = MOA

Division you wish to be listed under with range, User_Name: Rifle Manufacturer and caliber - notable customizations- Scope- Ammo. Groups: 1"/2"/3"/4"/5" = avg. 3" = .287 MOA
View Quote

If you shot in the morning or mid afternoon....

Larue stealth upper 18", RRA lower with Larue MBT with the A2 stock. Nightforce 5.5-22x NP-R1

If you shot after 3pm, you used this configuration...

Larue stealth upper 18", RRA lower with Ace skeleton stock with a RRA 2 stage varmit trigger. Nightforce 5.5-22x NP-R1
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The last line of you post needs the following.  I just copied the whole thing into my entry, and then filled out the important info below it.  100 yard group average divide by 1.047 = MOA
Larue stealth upper 18", RRA lower with Larue MBT with the A2 stock, or RRA lower with Ace skeleton stock with a RRA 2 stage varmit trigger. Nightforce 5.5-22x NP-R1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Division you wish to be listed under with range, User_Name: Rifle Manufacturer and caliber - notable customizations- Scope- Ammo. Groups: 1"/2"/3"/4"/5" = avg. 3" = .287 MOA

Larue stealth upper 18", RRA lower with Larue MBT with the A2 stock, or RRA lower with Ace skeleton stock with a RRA 2 stage varmit trigger. Nightforce 5.5-22x NP-R1
Thanks GAHunter95.

I hope everyone else that shot at the GAHTF MOA shoot will post their results too so we can help push that thread and that challenge and keep it going.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks GAHunter95.

I hope everyone else that shot at the GAHTF MOA shoot will post their results too so we can help push that thread and that challenge and keep it going.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks GAHunter95.

This guy gets it!  Nice placement of the dillo in the target pics.  Genius!!!

The goal of this shoot was to get more people involved with the challenge.  Part of that is posting up your results.  Joeys put the pics up here.  It's up to the shooter to post in the MOA thread with your results.  I would hope to see many pics with the GAHTF targets in the thread.  That may get the seed planted in other HTF's to do the same thing.  

I put up one.  I'll work on others when I get caught up with to do list.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Things I learned from this shoot....

The range needs more work.  Position 5 was the best.  1,2 & 3 all need to be re-leveled / graded.  It was not as easy trying to shoot slightly uphill.  Same for 50 yards, but that also had a side slope to deal with.   Plywood or cardboard range dividers was suggested, but never implemented.  Almost everyone was shooting AR platforms... lots of brass getting thrown around.  Plywood is not a good target backer.  Cardboard was good.  I've heard foam board is also good.

Brakes are evil.  We had many rounds were there were only 3 people shooting because nobody wanted to be next to a brake.  Next time... brakes can shoot with brakes if the lines are busy.  

People wanted spots on the line way more than anticipated.

This might be a 2 day event in the future.

Having a target rich environment worked well.  There were a few "do-overs" after the first few shots.  It was nice that you could start over and not have to wait for a cold range to set a new target.

There were zero shots on the wrong target!  

Shooting at night is possible!

We had food to feed an army.  One person suggested we take a $50 or $100 refundable deposit to ensure that people show up, and if they didn't show up, at least you had some $ to offset the expenses.  How does CW deal with no-shows?  (I'm sure it is harsh, but fair!)

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks GAHunter95.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks GAHunter95.

Going to try and get mine up over there tonight...(if this damn cold medicine will let me without screwing it up, that is)...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I finally got a few seconds to post my results in the MOA all day thread.

as far as lessons learned, the food was way too much.  it would have been perfect if everyone showed up.  I kind of like the refundable deposit to hold your spot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I finally got a few seconds to post my results in the MOA all day thread.

as far as lessons learned, the food was way too much.  it would have been perfect if everyone showed up.  I kind of like the refundable deposit to hold your spot.
View Quote

....The deposit sounds like a good idea....That way when it's returned upon arrival we have ready cash to buy ammo from some nice, understanding gentleman who owns a 'ringer' so we can try, and try again to get it right....

..Seriously, a deposit to find out who's really serious could go either way...Either it will make it easier to get an accurate head count or make people less likely to come....I dunno which.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#42]
For anyone who is unable to figure out how to post the pictures. Let me know and I will write up what you need to do in order to post in the original thread. I would just im you what you need to post. Then just copy and paste it into the thread. I can't remember who it was at the shoot that asked for some help doing this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#43]
For the math.... 1.047 inches is the magic number. Now convert your inches to moa...

Get your average of your groups in inches.  Put that number in the calculator.  Hit the divide button on the calculator and enter 1.047. This will get you your MOA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For the math.... 1.047 inches is the magic number. Now convert your inches to moa...

Get your average of your groups in inches.  Put that number in the calculator.  Hit the divide button on the calculator and enter 1.047. This will get you your MOA.
View Quote

.994 MOA!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#45]
.979 MOA

ETA  With MY gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#47]
.0dark30  

I'll be there earlier, with a MUCH better scope next time!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#48]
My target has been posted in the official thread.  Not as good as some others for sure, but I'm happy with it.  I now have a benchmark to try to beat.

.896" average --> .856 MOA.    happy happy

Thanks again Mike for all the hard work you put into this shoot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Looked like a fantastic time was had by all. Glad that I've finalized my move which prevented me from making this one. I hope to attend the next event to meet some of you fine folks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looked like a fantastic time was had by all. Glad that I've finalized my move which prevented me from making this one. I hope to attend the next event to meet some of you fine folks.
View Quote

That would be about a week away at the GAHTF Fall Shoot, 9/25-27, in Madison.

Be there, or be square!!!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top