Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 10:32:33 PM EDT
One of my buddies is doing a photo shoot on Saturday in the Atlanta area and would like to have a Halligan tool as a prop for a few hours, either to borrow or possibly rent if it's not too expensive.  For those who have read John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series, one of the key characters is a teenage daughter of the main protagonist, who wields a Halligan tool as a backup when clearing "zombies" (created by a weaponized virus that destroyed a lot of higher brain function).  It's fairly well-known that the two daughters of the main character are based somewhat loosely on John Ringo's own daughters (as were the two in the Aldenata universe), this will be a photo shoot of the younger daughter portraying her character from the books...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 30" Pro Bar in my locker at work, but I may not get back over that way before your shoot. I'm out for three shifts taking care of my wife.

Try to find a single-piece-forged bar. Anything else is just a crappy, inferior knockoff, and isn't worthy of being photographed. It'd be like the difference betwixt an Airsoft AR and the real thing, except it's really obvious.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of town are you in?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What part of town are you in?
View Quote

I'm in the Marietta/Kennesaw area, the friend actually lives down in Valdosta and has property in Metter, so he'll be driving up from south Georgia that day.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I am south of the airport . Mine is a real deal forged one piece and made in America
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got at least 3 Blackhawk breaching kits here with that tool in them.
Hallagan
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Those are not halligans, they're abominations that military and SWAT teams got sold because they're "tactical."

The original Hugh Halligan bars were single-piece, forged bars in the 30-32" range. After a few generations of Hugh's bars, Bob Farrell of Firehooks Unlimited adapted the Original Hugh to be even better. The forks were slimmer, with a better taper, and curved. The adz was likewise slimmed, shaped, and curved. This is still the same SPF Pro Bar in use across the world today.

Other companies in the 80s and 90s made versions of it. Iowa American Firefighting Tools made a decent one, but it was cast instead of forged. There were early Ziamatic Corporation SPF bars with very similar profiles to the Original Hugh, and later ones more like the FHU Pro Bar.  In later years, even DeWalt made a SPF halligan. Now, there are at least 4 major manufacturers making SPF bars of varying profiles.

But along the way, a bunch of manufacturers like Zico, Paratech, and Blackhawk decided that profit was more valuable than quality, and they jumped in on the bandwagon. Problem is, their tools were drawn up by folks with no understanding of how the bars are used, or they would've never made them the way they do. Fat tool ends that can't get purchase; poor shapes that minimize leverage instead of maximize; cast tool heads; 3-piece bars with pinned or welded heads. Those inferior bars are barely cheaper than the real thing, but weigh pounds more and fail, either by making forcible entry harder or by breaking. I don't even call them halligans. They're fakes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Soon as I saw the title I knew what this was about!

Got the entire series on audio book and book.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The only way to test the tool is to drop a MKIV can of CS gas on the point, while standing in a 3'x4' enclosed room......

with me outside laughing my butt off at you.......

until the gas gets to me and I am crying/coughing with you!

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinky Fireman Calender ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kinky Fireman Calender ?
View Quote

see this is how I know you didn't read one of the best zombie series out there....
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Predeployment training at Ft Hood, the guy called them "hooligan" tools.... I said that's racist, I'm Irish and im offended.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Predeployment training at Ft Hood, the guy called them "hooligan" tools.... I said that's racist, I'm Irish and im offended.
View Quote
Up for the Bhoys!!!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Hooligan is a Paratech trade name for their awful version of the tool. It has been spread incorrectly as the name for all tools with forks, an adz, and a spike/pike/pick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#15]
If "Faith" will sign it I'll send a RMJ Shrike, not that she used one, but hell worth a try
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Foreman, bonus points for KF reference......
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those are not halligans, they're abominations that military and SWAT teams got sold because they're "tactical."

View Quote

True and Kawasaki is the only company that makes a jet ski although there have been many "abominations" that have been sold since. Like anything else, there will be variations to any idea that finds it's way into the public. Sometimes they're improvements, sometimes they're not. But to suggest that the best is necessarily going to be from the guy that come up with it first is a bit of a stretch. I make the larger portion of my living modifying other folk's ideas and/or products for either economic or performance advantages
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
As you can see I have several to choose from. My fire station is in Atlanta (Edgewood and Blvd) so if he is in the city, shoot me an IM

Halligans
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

True and Kawasaki is the only company that makes a jet ski although there have been many "abominations" that have been sold since. Like anything else, there will be variations to any idea that finds it's way into the public. Sometimes they're improvements, sometimes they're not. But to suggest that the best is necessarily going to be from the guy that come up with it first is a bit of a stretch. I make the larger portion of my living modifying other folk's ideas and/or products for either economic or performance advantages
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Hugh Halligan's original design is not the best. Bob Farrell improved upon it and made the halligan tool what it is today. Since then, others have produced some as good, but many have produced many more that are much, much worse.

It'd be like if someone made an AR out of cast iron and sold it for the same as a forged aluminum lower, and tried to tell you that it'd hold up the same. The good bars are kind of like picking betwixt premium brands of AR manufacturers; personal preference with one or two distinguishing features to set them apart. The 3-piece bars are like the Hi Point of fire tools. Except they cost the same as other tools.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

As you can see I have several to choose from. My fire station is in Atlanta (Edgewood and Blvd) so if he is in the city, shoot me an IM

Halligans
View Quote

Thanks, I think I've got one lined up, the studio where the photo shoot will be happening is in Alpharetta.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

see this is how I know you didn't read one of the best zombie series out there....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinky Fireman Calender ?

I cant read
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I cant read
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinky Fireman Calender ?

I cant read

See what public schools give us
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Any chance we can get a peak at the photo shoot?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Any chance we can get a peak at the photo shoot?
View Quote

I'll see if I can get at least one of the photos to post, it won't be for at least two weeks.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]

One with the "Barbie Gun" (albeit in 6.8x43mm instead of 5.56mm).  Commander-length 1911 hidden by her hands.  Only shot I have of her with the Halligan tool.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Good looking young lady. But did she get her first driving lesson in an M1A1?

I would have expected Trixie to be in her back pack. Less blood splatter that way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I would have expected Trixie to be in her back pack. Less blood splatter that way.
View Quote

In the books she is carried in a fanny pack or such, but that doesn't work well for pictures :-)

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In the books she is carried in a fanny pack or such, but that doesn't work well for pictures :-)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember it as trixie peaking over her shoulder. But thanks for posting the pictures. :D
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Halligans
View Quote

Polished from work on the job, instead of cheesy painted tools.

Very Nice and you fellas on the Squad 4 stay low in the long dark hallway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Off topic: any of you ATL boys go to Frankie's fundraiser today?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#31]
good looking young lady but ill be damned if im running around the zombie apocalypse in full bunker gear
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
good looking young lady but ill be damned if im running around the zombie apocalypse in full bunker gear
View Quote

You should read the books... you'll understand then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top