Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 8:11:09 AM EDT
I asked for one when I renewed yesterday, as it is very close to my expire date.

I was told no, they do not issue temporary permits.

So if my GWL does not arrive by the 18th, I guess no carry until it gets here.

ETA: This is probably old news to most, but it's my first renewal under the new system. My current license was one of the last GFL format issued.

UPDATE - Jan. 6, 2015: Received my license in the mail today.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
8 days? Plenty of time. Cobb county took three business days.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The days of the probate court dragging your permit out for months are over.  Thanks GCO!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
They are required to issue you a temporary permit if you are renewing with less than 90 days remaining on your current license.  Unless the judge knows you won't pass the background check for the renewal.

(i) Temporary renewal licenses.

(1) Any person who holds a weapons carry license under this Code section may, at the time he or she applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he or she then holds or if the previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.

(j) Applicant may seek relief. When an eligible applicant fails to receive a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license within the time period required by this Code section and the application or request has been properly filed, the applicant may bring an action in mandamus or other legal proceeding in order to obtain a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license. When an applicant is otherwise denied a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license and contends that he or she is qualified to be issued a license, temporary renewal license, or renewal license, the applicant may bring an action in mandamus or other legal proceeding in order to obtain such license. Additionally, the applicant may request a hearing before the judge of the probate court relative to the applicant's fitness to be issued such license. Upon the issuance of a denial, the judge of the probate court shall inform the applicant of his or her rights pursuant to this subsection. If such applicant is the prevailing party, he or she shall be entitled to recover his or her costs in such action, including reasonable attorney's fees.
View Quote

How fast they process applications is irrelevant under O.C.G.A 16-11-129.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you talk to Calvin about it or one of the secretaries?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Secretary.

Hopefully, it won't be an issue. I will just not carry if it takes beyond the 18th. Gonna suck but . . .

My last renewal took 2 weeks to arrive, but it was under the old system where renewal was the same as a new application.
I didn't get a temporary then either, but I didn't cut it so close to the wire.

Hospitals, doctors, and work have kept me away from the courthouse until now.

ETA: The name on the receipt is "McQuaig."

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8 days? Plenty of time. Cobb county took three business days.
View Quote

I'm two weeks in and I still don't have my renewed license (Cobb county too).

-bob
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I was told by my county's clerk of court that they do not issue temporary permits.  I emailed GCO and they said the judge should know the law and issue one. They've had at least one other in Cobb told the same.  Go back and speak to the judge or leave a message for them to check into the temporary permit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine expires on the 17th as well!  What a coincidence.

I renewed mine at Lee County yesterday.  Didn't think to ask for a temporary.  I'll survive whatever gap occurs, if any.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Well today is the last day on my current GFL, and nothing in the mail.

So beginning tomorrow I will be unarmed.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine finally came in today.  Took ~3 weeks.  Hope yours shows up soon OP!

-bob
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the gap.  

eta.  ...but can still cap.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
OP did you ever go back and demand a temp??
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP did you ever go back and demand a temp??
View Quote

I haven't been able to. Been working too many long days to get to the courthouse during business hours.

Not to mention that I avoid going there like the plague now. Yeah "Officer Safety" and all that but It's gotten fucking ridiculous.

I feel like a leper there.

ETA: No, I still don't have my license. Probably won't for a while now due to the holidays.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Came home for lunch and my new license was in the mailbox. It was issued the day after Christmas.

I knew the holidays be a hold-up, plus the slow mail, but I was beginning to worry.

My own fault for not renewing earlier, but I honestly thought I would walk out with a temp license and be GTG.
Lesson learned, next time I'm giving myself at least a month.

And, unless the law changes, I'm not leaving without a temp . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top