Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 11:01:18 PM EDT
Ok... Sorry to put this out for everyone, but Bob got a nice deer last year and I told him I would send him a recipe for roasts.

one whole backstrap

plus a few other little pieces... (this is for a big crowd, so I put in more meat than I usually would)

some veggies, fancy fungus, and soup....  I actually added another potato to the pot.

don't forget some onion

that's it for tonight.  I added about 1/3 cup of water to the pot as well.

Should be ready by the morning.  And by ready, I mean you should be able to cut this with a spoon.   Then it is off to work with this pot of deliciousness for our Thanksgiving luncheon!

oh yeah.... the starting point...

You can add whatever veggies you like.  Generally about a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of veggies to meat by weight.  You can also add salt and pepper or whatever spices you like.  This is very basic recipe and I'm sure there are people on here who are mortified I used a backstrap as a roast.  Usually I use the rear hams for roasts, but this is all I have left in the freezer.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not mortified at all.

Should be excellent.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
after pics?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

after pics?

View Quote
Poop threads not allowed

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Lookin good.  It's that time of year to break out the slow cooker.  I need to see what deer meat I have left to scrounge enough for deer chili again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
after about 9 hours.....

It was touching the lid when I started the cook last night.  This morning it is at least an inch below the lid.  This is normal.  

Everything was fully cooked and could be cut with a spoon.  The sweet potatoes do not hold up like the rest of the veggies - they turn to mush, but are still tasty.

The liquid will be about 2/3 the way up the croc pot.  That is also normal.  It is not a soup or stew.  Use a slotted spoon to dish it out.  Salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy.

I'll get a pic of the meat tonight when I hit it again for leftovers.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Mike!!!!!  I'll have to pull some out of the freezer and give it a try.

-bob
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck Bob!

A few more thoughts.... it needed salt and pepper for my taste.  My wife doesn't like salt and pepper, so I add it to my plate as I eat it.

The meat...All gone and I forgot to get a pic.  If you cut it into small chunks before you cook it, it will all be brown.   If you leave it whole, it will have a medium appearance.  It will all be tender to the point of cutting / shredding it with a spoon.  I haven't tried a really big roast, as I don't ever need that much cooked at one time.  2-4 pounds of meat at a time works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top