Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 4:47:39 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Im looking to get an assisted open or OTF knife for black friday.

What are some good vendors to browse for deals?

For assisted opening, i'm looking at the Kershaw Blur..
Not sure about OTF models...

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, Assisted OTF knives are really basically useless, even in a knife fight (better then nothing, but there are so many better choices).

So the first question is what is the purpose for this knife? EDC, whittling, camping, nail trimmer, skinning, self-defense, pig sticker, etc.....

The problem I have with Assisted OTF is the blade locking system, most will let you down when you need them most. In a knife fight, hitting a rib with an OTF can be a big problem (blade releasing and retracting or breaking the blade lockup). It is also easier to break the blade off from the handle because it is the weakest mechanically.

Obviously for knife fighting a fixed blade is the best choice (my favorite is the Gerber Mark II) but not always the easiest to carry. The Mark II is great in the field/woods but not good at the mall so my EDC carry is the Gerber Covert Applegate/Fairbairn knife.

I have several Kershaw Knives, they are high quality and they stand behind their knives. They make an OTF called the Ripcord but it is not assisted so once open is more like a fixed blade.

There are tons of good knives out there, KA-Bar, Gerber, Boker, Kershaw, Microtech, Benchmade, CRKT, SOG to name a few.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

My favorite knife.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't go wrong with a Blur...also the thermite and cryo ii are very good. I personally would step up to
A ZT 0350. Come down a day early and we can go hit a store that has a good selection.

http://youtu.be/57ZUiu2BVo8
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Some good deals on lots of stuff, and some of the better prices on knives of all types ive been seeing.

Knife deals

All brands
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
This will be for EDC...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Kershaw Thermite a lot.  A member here made the custom scales.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]

..I'm not seeing that one @ $38
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Neither am I.  Getting $54.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have been a temporary coupon. I still see $10 off $50 at checkout so its $48. There were two $10 off items when I ordered.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Also check out going gear they have a store near Cobb parkway
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top