Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 7:13:24 PM EDT
Any recommendations for a collections attorney?

I'm a general contractor and have a designer I've worked with for the last 5 years.

He's gotten behind before but always finally paid

He owes me for a job from January.

It's long overdue and time for the gloves to come off.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

I'm grateful that I've been in business for 20 years and this is my first time dealing with this

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the amount owed, take him to civil court. Courts rule in your favor, he then pays. If he doesn't pay then he is in default of a court order and goes to jail. Make sure you file paperwork listing him personally and as his business. Make sure you have his Registered Agent served if he is Incorporated.

When I was in construction, my company sued lots of builders and homeowners that wouldn't pay. Make sure you have your paperwork in order.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
5K or 10%, whichever is greater.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is work on a house you should be able to lien the house or building .
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think that applies to almost anything of value. I know it does on motor vehicles, aircraft, and land.

Are regular liens the same as a tax lien? Like with taxes and I put a lien on your house because your property tax was behind, you have 1 year to pay me or the deed gets transferred to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it is work on a house you should be able to lien the house or building .

I think that applies to almost anything of value. I know it does on motor vehicles, aircraft, and land.

Are regular liens the same as a tax lien? Like with taxes and I put a lien on your house because your property tax was behind, you have 1 year to pay me or the deed gets transferred to me.

In the construction industry, you lose lien rights at 90 days from the date of last invoice/service.  HandyDave, PM inbound.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm a general contractor and have a designer I've worked with for the last 5 years.

I'm grateful that I've been in business for 20 years and this is my first time dealing with this

View Quote
 I am not on the northside, but I am a construction attorney, with plenty of experience collecting for general contractors and subcontractors, among other things.  My name is Ed Stone. < personal information edited, send it in an email or IM Ed - makeitflyfast >
Unrelated, but interesting:  My office overlooks the street where the Walking Dead was filming the Governor's Woodbury.

Anyway, if I can help, please let me know.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for all the replies!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 I am not on the northside, but I am a construction attorney, with plenty of experience collecting for general contractors and subcontractors, among other things.  My name is Ed Stone. < personal information edited, send it in an email or IM Ed - makeitflyfast >
Unrelated, but interesting:  My office overlooks the street where the Walking Dead was filming the Governor's Woodbury.

Ed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ed

You can send me your info just in case I need it

ETA Good luck Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top