Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 6:21:39 PM EDT
What's a good scope for a inline? I'm shooting a TC Encore .50 cal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the gon forums. The have a forum dedicated to muzzleloaders
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Worry more about quality mounts
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an eotech on my black power ar15.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Buckhorn sights, patched ball and real black powder.  You don't need no fancy sights.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tasco Slug gun scope on mine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not looking to do old school type shooting. Never really got into that. I'm considering a out of state hunts that are tag draws. And I want to apply for muzzle loader and bow tags. And if I get drawer I want to get the most out BP as far as distance. Next question is. Has anyone dealt with the Nikon inline scope?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a Nikon BDC on my inline, one designed for muzzle loaders, 3-9 X 40 with the markings for bullet drop on the reticle. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Nikon BDC on my inline, one designed for muzzle loaders, 3-9 X 40 with the markings for bullet drop on the reticle. Works great for me.
View Quote

What grain bullet is it rated for? 250 or 300?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's dead nuts to 200yds with a 300gr xtp out of an encore pro hunter
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the load, hold over markings are approximate for 250 grain bullets at 250 yards. I use 250gr. in a CVA Electra with Hornady SST's in a sabot with 2 Triple 7 magnum pellets.. Unbelievably accurate for a front stuffer out beyond 250 yards and with 250 grains traveling over 2,000 fps it will kill anything in North America inside 200 yards. YMMV

I will add that if I were setting one up now I would go with a larger objective scope, they weren't available when I bought mine a few years ago but now there are several other manufacturers making dedicated BP optics. A 50 mm would be much better in low light, that's the only complaint I have with this Nikon. The reticle really fades away in low light but in decent light it's a great scope for the money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buckhorn sights, patched ball and real black powder.  You don't need no fancy sights.
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding. Its more rewarding knowing you took your quarry with skill and practice.
This is what I use, and up to 100 yrds every bit as accurate as a modern cartridge rifle using a patched and lubed .490  round ball with an 80 grn 2f powder load out of a swamped .50 Rice barrel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Every bit as accurate as a modern rifle at 100 yards? And you're using a round ball out of a smooth bore?

I'm not calling BS, but I'd like to see that. I've never heard of anyone hitting a pie plate size target repeatedly much less being able to compare it with a modern rifled firearm at 100 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no kidding. Its more rewarding knowing you took your quarry with skill and practice.
This is what I use, and up to 100 yrds every bit as accurate as a modern cartridge rifle using a patched and lubed .490  round ball with an 80 grn 2f powder load out of a swamped .50 Rice barrel.
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/Snapbucket/A7825076-orig_zps687c3f8c.jpg

Every bit as accurate as a modern rifle at 100 yards? And you're using a round ball out of a smooth bore?

I'm not calling BS, but I'd like to see that. I've never heard of anyone hitting a pie plate size target repeatedly much less being able to compare it with a modern rifled firearm at 100 yards.

Maybe I missed it, but where did Sgt_Fury say it was a "smooth bore"?  My rifled, .54 Hawken has a 1-48 inch twist.  With a patched ball, I can hit a 4” circle at 100 yards with no problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My mistake. I just looked up the barrel he mentioned. I wasn't aware rifled barrels were available for flint locks.

I apologize for my ignorant assumption.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/Snapbucket/A7825076-orig_zps687c3f8c.jpg

Maybe I missed it, but where did Sgt_Fury say it was a "smooth bore"?  My rifled, .54 Hawken has a 1-48 inch twist.  With a patched ball, I can hit a 4” circle at 100 yards with no problem.

My mistake. I just looked up the barrel he mentioned. I wasn't aware rifled barrels were available for flint locks.

No biggie I should have prob mentioned that lol. I don't think Mr. Rice even makes a smooth bore barrel so I didn't think to mention that.
Rifled barrels have been around since prob the 1770's or so. If you see an octagon barrel on a rifle its probably rifled.
My rifle is a hand built reproduction of a 1780's J.P. Beck Pennsylvania long rifle. Dang thing is a dream to shoot as well as only weighing 6 lbs or so.
Now I have a .20 ga French type D Fusil Fowler that I can't hit a pie plate at 25 yrds with using round ball... I just stick to shot in that ole girl.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depends on the load, hold over markings are approximate for 250 grain bullets at 250 yards. I use 250gr. in a CVA Electra with Hornady SST's in a sabot with 2 Triple 7 magnum pellets.. Unbelievably accurate for a front stuffer out beyond 250 yards and with 250 grains traveling over 2,000 fps it will kill anything in North America inside 200 yards. YMMV

I will add that if I were setting one up now I would go with a larger objective scope, they weren't available when I bought mine a few years ago but now there are several other manufacturers making dedicated BP optics. A 50 mm would be much better in low light, that's the only complaint I have with this Nikon. The reticle really fades away in low light but in decent light it's a great scope for the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking at that 50mm. And to the others, I'm not trusting those old school ones on a tag and trip that might cost me $$. I have shot the older ones and they r fun. But not my cup tea when hunting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The term "rifle" originated from rifled flintlocks. They just weren't as common.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top