Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2014 5:11:21 PM EDT
Some of you may remember my thread from last year regarding my family and I looking to relocate from NY to GA.  That thread is HERE

Well, that time has come.  We will be in town this weekend looking for a home, a church, and getting a general layout of the area.  We have decided on the Athens/Watkinsville area.  We are planning on being down there permanently in September. A little later than planned, but well before winter kicks off up here.

We have a busy weekend planned, but if anyone of you guys wants to have a beer with a yankee, I will be more than willing to meet up someplace.  After a full day looking at houses, I'm sure I will need a few.  Will be in town Friday til Sunday.

Any food/restaurant suggestions would also be appreciated as well as the best place to see a Fireworks display.

Thanks, and hope to meet a couple of you if possible.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There will be a fireworks show at the Georgia Square Mall on the Atlanta Highway.

Oconee County will have one at Oconee Veterans Park.

Access will probably be easier to the event at the mall, especially for someone not familiar with the area.  Oconee's event will be much more family friendly, but access will be more difficult and you may end up having to get off the beaten path depending upon where you park and the traffic flow afterwards.  The problem is that there is only one functional entrance to the park, and traffic leaving parking areas will be forced onto side roads.  If you are new to the area you may get lost.  There is a traffic plan map on the OCSO Facebook page.

I am the Chief Deputy of the Oconee County Sheriff's Office and will be working the event at OVP.

---

As for where to buy a home, you mentioned in the other thread that schools were an issue.  There is no comparison.  Buy in Oconee County.  Clarke County is very liberal.  Oconee County is very conservative.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Best Fireworks display: Stone Mountain Park
One can pay to get in or find a high spot nearby with good LOS

Best Schools: Private or Home School, all public schools blow IE by using public schools you are picking the lesser of the two evils.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There will be a fireworks show at the Georgia Square Mall on the Atlanta Highway.

Oconee County will have one at Oconee Veterans Park.

Access will probably be easier to the event at the mall, especially for someone not familiar with the area.  Oconee's event will be much more family friendly, but access will be more difficult and you may end up having to get off the beaten path depending upon where you park and the traffic flow afterwards.  The problem is that there is only one functional entrance to the park, and traffic leaving parking areas will be forced onto side roads.  If you are new to the area you may get lost.  There is a traffic plan map on the OCSO Facebook page.

I am the Chief Deputy of the Oconee County Sheriff's Office and will be working the event at OVP.

---

As for where to buy a home, you mentioned in the other thread that schools were an issue.  There is no comparison.  Buy in Oconee County.  Clarke County is very liberal.  Oconee County is very conservative.  

View Quote

Thanks for the info.  We will most likely do private Christian school no matter where we actually buy.  Here in NY you get liberal schools, no matter where you are, even in the more conservative areas.  My son is is a great school district now.  We have been happy with them, but I have heard things about the middle school/high schools that make me cringe.

Our reasons for leaving NY are taxes, liberal policies killing the state, bad business climate, taxes, Cuomo, taxes, shitty gun laws, SAFE Act, Cuomo, and taxes.  Repeat as necessary, LOL.

I will have my GPS with me, so hopefully I wont get lost.  

We would love to find a place in Watkinsville, but I would like to avoid a HOA situation, plus I currently have a home-based FFL 01 that I would like to continue with down there.  So a lot will depend on zoning etc.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
From one ex Yankee to another,welcome to freedom .Watkinsville is nice,about 40 minutes from me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Watkinsville. My wife is working on the Fourth and I don't have anything going on. I'd be happy to grab a beer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll like Oconee county much better, if you want my opinion. Athens is a big ghetto. I work there. Most people who work in Athens live outside the county
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
try prince avenue for a good church
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you need a good realtor, let me know.

Athens Church is an awesome church.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Having lived in or near Athens for the last 15 years houses in Athens Clarke County are very limited for good neighborhoods.  Jennings Mill subdivision is nice has a golf course and I'm sure an HOA.  If you're looking for land it's few and far between in Athens.

The contrast between Oconee County and Athens Clarke County is amazing.  As Chief Weems said ACC very liberal, DA let's darn near every criminal go, Police Chief is not so great.  The government schools in ACC are horrible.  Clarke Central is literally across the street from public housing.  I'll just put it this way college professors, old money, and other professionals either A.) Don't live in ACC but Oconee or Madison County or B.) Live in the Beechwood area (Vince Dooley lives there etc. don't know who he? is you darn well better learn if relocating to Athes area) or a few other select streets.  Not many of those homes stay on market very long and cost starting at $500,000 and go up.  

Oconee County has many more opportunities to find a house with land 2+ acres at a far more reasonable but still expensive compared other areas of GA.

Less congestion than ACC, a top notch Sheriff's Department, much family friendlier area

Lot's of businesses moving from ACC to Oconee partly because of taxes, but it's just a nicer area.

ACC has panhandlers at darn near every major stop light.  I can't tell you how many times I've been approached day and night at gas stations for money, at CVS in line to checkout for money etc.

Oconee County schools are in the top probably 1% in the state, just google the recently released CRCT scores.  I can't comment on their liberalness as I don't have kids in school there.

Private schools you have a few choices

1) Prince Avenue Baptist (In Oconee County, though Prince Avenue original school was in ACC) Mark Richt goes there again don't know who he is, you'd better look him up

2) Athens Academy, also in Oconee County

Prince Avenue has both church and school on the same campus

Athens Academy doesn't have an on site church that I'm aware of

Athens Church is exploding at the seems, they recently purchased the entire what once was a Walmart and anchor stores to build.  I'm sure they will probably end up having school there at some point.

Athens Church is primarily a video church with a rock/country/Christian band, it's a satellite of Andy Stanley ministry and he's honestly the best preacher I've ever listened to

Prince Avenue is much more your typical conservative Southern Baptist church.

Another area you could look at is Jefferson, 20 minutes from Athens very good schools, good Sheriff, lots of affordable land.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies.

We are focusing mainly on Watkinsville and have from the start.  All the properties we are looking at this weekend are in Oconoee county.  I am not an inner city type.  Where I live now is 15 miles outside of Rochester, NY.  Nice little town, but it's still in NY!  I work in the city and live outside.  That's what we are looking to do.  I am looking forward to getting down there this weekend and getting a good idea of what the area is like.  I just hope tropical storm Arthur stays away and doesn't cause too many issues for us travel wise.  We plan on attending Sunday service at Watkinsville First Baptist time permitting.  One of our friends at our church here, knows someone who attends there, so that's how that connection was made.  

I booked our hotel in Athens basically just to check out Athens and I knew there would be many choices on such short notice.  We only booked this trip 2 weeks ago.

Thanks again and keep it coming.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll just talk about food, cuase I'm really a fat kid on the inside.

Steak, and beer

Never been, but my boss frequents this place and raves about it. And sends me pictures while I'm at work and he's not of how awesome the food is. D'bag

Burger's and beer

I have been here, order the smoked pork hamburger and die a meat-eaters death. Pretty sure just finishing it is grounds for entering Valhalla.

Lots of good food in Athens, more than I can list really.

Also of interest, Clydes Armory is pretty cool. lots of guns and stuff.

I dont live in Athens but I do work there, some nice parts and some not nice parts. Unfortunately I'll be working till Sunday but if you'r around then let me know.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]
As far as the private schools in Oconee, I have first hand experience with Prince Avenue Christian School and can speak very highly of it.  

There is also Westminster Christian Academy, and they seem to be very good folks.

Athens Academy is not church based, but they have a top notch reputation, and I really like working with their administration on things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Catch 22 is so good. He is thinking about the porknado sandwich. They have lots of good beer on tap too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Catch 22 is so good. He is thinking about the porknado sandwich. They have lots of good beer on tap too.
View Quote

Thats it, man that hamburger is good.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some of you may remember my thread from last year regarding my family and I looking to relocate from NY to GA.  That thread is HERE

Well, that time has come.  We will be in town this weekend looking for a home, a church, and getting a general layout of the area.  We have decided on the Athens/Watkinsville area.  We are planning on being down there permanently in September. A little later than planned, but well before winter kicks off up here.

We have a busy weekend planned, but if anyone of you guys wants to have a beer with a yankee, I will be more than willing to meet up someplace.  After a full day looking at houses, I'm sure I will need a few.  Will be in town Friday til Sunday.

Any food/restaurant suggestions would also be appreciated as well as the best place to see a Fireworks display.

Thanks, and hope to meet a couple of you if possible.
View Quote

That is a good area. Check out my Gun Club @ Gun Club and the link below for fireworks in the area.

http://www.movingtoathens.com/athens-georgia-real-estate-blog/4th-july-fireworks-watkinsville-ga/
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Long time Oconee County resident here. Born in Athens and have been in Watkinsville since 1976. Raised 2 kids who are now in college, both graduated from North Oconee. I have seen LOTS of change (I was here when Watkinsville only had 1 caution light) but still a good place to live. Much better than Athens. Can't believe the difference a few miles makes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, we should have an HTF shoot in Watkinsville sometime; I had no idea there were this many of us!  
Chops & Hops for steak, either Dominick's or Piccolo's for Italian, Girasoles for fusion, Cabaña de Don Juan for Mexican. Also, PM sent.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in Athens, but will be moving right down the road from Athens Academy soon. I love the area, but it did take me a while. As far as schools go (full disclosure, I teach in Clarke County) I would send my kid to Prince Avenue if you can afford it.

Also, for churches, Watkinsville First Baptist is great. I've been going there regularly for a little over a year.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I am in town.  Checked into hotel.  Got some lunch and we start seeing houses at 2PM.  Family is tired, we've been up since 4AM.

Thanks to those of you who have replied and reached out to me personally via IM.  

Not sure about our ultimate plans tonight except some dinner at some point and probably an early night.  Long day tomorrow.  I may be game for a beer or two tomorrow night if anyone's willing to meet up.

Wish us luck!
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am in town.  Checked into hotel.  Got some lunch and we start seeing houses at 2PM.  Family is tired, we've been up since 4AM.

Thanks to those of you who have replied and reached out to me personally via IM.  

Not sure about our ultimate plans tonight except some dinner at some point and probably an early night.  Long day tomorrow.  I may be game for a beer or two tomorrow night if anyone's willing to meet up.

Wish us luck!
View Quote

Awesome. Enjoy your time!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, what a weekend!  We looked at so many houses the last 2 days.  We had it narrowed down to 2 that we liked.  1 in Watkinsville and 1 in Hull.  We have decided to go with the house in Watkinsville, as it is the best fit for us.  House is nice, and in the price point we were looking for.  Nice neighborhood, nice yard, and a separate barn/wookshop/man cave.  We are meeting with our agent in the AM after church to draw up the paperwork and submit our offer.
Praying all goes well, and we can be here in September permanently!

Thanks for all the info and help you guys have offered.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad you settled on Watkinsville and I hope everything goes well with your offer/purchase.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glad you settled on Watkinsville and I hope everything goes well with your offer/purchase.
View Quote

Had a voicemail last night when we got off the plane back here in NY.  Purchase offer accepted.  Projected closing date is September 5th. Can not wait!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#24]
You don't mess around do you....

That was fast.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That was fast.
View Quote

We have been looking online for a while and had the areas narrowed down.  We saw over 20 houses in 2 days.  Houses in Watkinsville are selling like crazy, so we didn't want to fool around.  A lot of the houses that came on the market 4 to 6 weeks ago that we were interested in seeing were already under contract by the time we got down there.  This house had only been on the market for about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
We have been looking online for a while and had the areas narrowed down.  We saw over 20 houses in 2 days.  Houses in Watkinsville are selling like crazy, so we didn't want to fool around.  A lot of the houses that came on the market 4 to 6 weeks ago that we were interested in seeing were already under contract by the time we got down there.  This house had only been on the market for about 2 weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was fast.

Watkinsville only makes up 3.2 square miles of Oconee County.  Only people who live within the city limits say they live in Watkinsville.  People who live in the unincorporated parts of the county do not.  They will say they live in Oconee County or simply Oconee.  Just a little social tip for living in these parts.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Had a voicemail last night when we got off the plane back here in NY.  
Purchase offer accepted.  Projected closing date is September 5th.
Can not wait!
View Quote

Congratulations, and welcome to Watkinsville!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I live in Watkinsville.  What neighborhood did you purchase in?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hickory Hills
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats OP!As for the whole town/county thing it'll take some getting used to.Not like up North where everybody goes by the town they live in and many have no clue what county they're in lol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice choice.  You'll really like Oconee County.  

You'll find we have the best Sheriff's dept around too.  Great folks.

Check out GeorgiaPacking.org to see what's going on in our state.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]
After NY you'll love being able to open carry to the grocery store............and you can carry in more places than you can't here......
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

That would be Sheriff's Office...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hickory Hills
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hickory Hills

Nice!

I have a few water systems in that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost went back to correct that when I first posted.  At least I didn't call it the Oconee County Police Dept.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

and a damn fine county attorney ;)
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#37]
21 days!!! til I leave oppression and embrace freedom!!!

I finally got job details ironed out.  I am a pharmacist for Rite Aid and will be transferring to their Covington store.  It will give me an hour commute each way, but I am ok with that.  

Things are moving fast now.  We have been getting tons of stuff ready for our moving sale this weekend.  Then time to pack and get ready for the 1000 mile trip to freedom.

CAN NOT WAIT!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#39]

I am going to try my best to get there for that.  It will boil down to scheduling, but I should be able to make it for at least 1 of the days.

plus thanks to NY I will have to assemble some lowers/rifles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you don't make it, who's going to set up our tents?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to try my best to get there for that.  It will boil down to scheduling, but I should be able to make it for at least 1 of the days.

If you don't make it, who's going to set up our tents?

Oh, I'm sure someone will step up.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Feel free to  any non NY complaint rifle at my house......   Including ammo!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Tomorrow AM we start our journey to Watkinsville. The movers are loading as I type on my iPad. I spent the last week or so packing boxes and this weekend loaded a 26 foot truck with all the stuff they won't  put on their truck and the stuff I didn't want on their truck. Plus a bunch of odd and end hard to load items. Mostly left them boxes and furniture. We get into town sometime Thursday night and we close at 10AM Friday. Can't believe it's here already!  Our stuff should arrive either Friday or Saturday. Then a few days to unpack and then time to relax a bit before I start work on the 15th.  I do have to fly back up to NY in a couple days to pick up my truck and boat and drive them back down. Going to do straight though 16 hour trip as it will be just me. No kid, wife or cat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Good luck with the move and welcome to Georgia.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I have been here since 1966 and know most everyone in the area business wise. If you need home repairs or auto repair shop recommendations etc. let me know. I can steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#46]
We have arrived.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We have arrived.
View Quote

I wondered why it felt a little bit darker today..........

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have arrived.

As soon as we reached Athens the sky opened up and it poured like a SOB. First drops the whole 16 hour trip!  I swear it wasn't us.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

We have arrived.
View Quote

I think you'll like it.  Welcome to Georgia.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey y'all.  I want to give a big shout out to PercentMan.  He reached out to me back in July and offered his services to help me unload a moving truck when I got here.  He was a man of his word!  He showed up and we made quick work of a 26 foot straight truck that was loaded to the gills!

He was a great help to me and I appreciate his help 110% !!

Thanks to all those of you who have offered advice and kind words also.  

Can't wait to meet more of the GAHTF.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top