Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 5:38:59 PM EDT
If I buy a used car from an individual tomorrow, what are the details involved with the new sales tax and tag laws. Any info would be appreciated.

Thx
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The tax office will determine the fair market value and will tax you on it.
 If someone GIVES you the car you will still be taxed on fair market value.  
From then on you pay $20/yr
$2000 book value X 8%= $160.  As an example
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a question to add...

I recently traded my 2010 tacoma in on a 2010 f150 the dealership did the trade and paid me 815.00 so I guess I still got to pay taxes ???
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
yep. I could give you my 87 mustang and $1 million, and you still have to pay fair market value.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Go figure with the goberment... I didnt buy anything
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#5]
There is an appeal process, if you think the value they assessed to the vehicle is too high. I am sure it is quite lengthy, as these things usually are, to keep you from using it.

The state collects sales tax on each vehicle multiple times, every time it is  sold, new, or used, which does not sit well with me.   I am pretty sure that if you look at an average vehicle, the taxes will be higher across it's lifespan than on the prior method, and I know I will be paying more personally over the next 10 years than I had prior.   It is actually an  incentive to keep older vehicles longer, which is not good for the economy in general.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this something the car dealers lobbied for or is another tax grab by the govt..???

I expect the car dealers have plenty of juice at the capitol.

td
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got a question to add...

I recently traded my 2010 tacoma in on a 2010 f150 the dealership did the trade and paid me 815.00 so I guess I still got to pay taxes ???
View Quote

I just bought a new vehicle last week and traded mine in at the same dealership.  I only paid TAVT on the difference between my trade and the new vehicle, and not the market value of the new vehicle.  If I'd sold my car myself I would have had to pay TAVT on the entire amount of the new vehicle.

See http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/Tap/faqs.aspx# in the section "How is TAVT Calculated".  I'd expect you'd owe no tax if your transaction netted you $815, but you might have some flat portion of the tag fee?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
This also applies to newcomers to the state.  My son moved back from Kalifornia last year.

He paid Kali state sales tax on his car when he bought it and paid GA tax on it when he moved and got a tag.

Overall, he said between 10% in Kali and 7% in GA, he paid 17% tax on that car.

Welcome to Georgia.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This also applies to newcomers to the state.  My son moved back from Kalifornia last year.

He paid Kali state sales tax on his car when he bought it and paid GA tax on it when he moved and got a tag.

Welcome to Georgia.  
View Quote

Yikes. While it sucks I'll have to pay this moving in, at least you don't have vehicle property tax in GA. I'm paying 3.1% in my town on the value of my vehicles every year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Welcome to Georgia.  
View Quote

I was hit with that also. I bought my truck in Central Cali when I was stationed there in 2009. The dealership reduced the price further by the amount of GA Taxes. I guess the state is trying to make up for all the breaks the airlines and corps get...
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is an appeal process, if you think the value they assessed to the vehicle is too high. I am sure it is quite lengthy, as these things usually are, to keep you from using it.

The state collects sales tax on each vehicle multiple times, every time it is  sold, new, or used, which does not sit well with me.   I am pretty sure that if you look at an average vehicle, the taxes will be higher across it's lifespan than on the prior method, and I know I will be paying more personally over the next 10 years than I had prior.   It is actually an  incentive to keep older vehicles longer, which is not good for the economy in general.

View Quote

I appealed the value of a truck I bought for work. the process took less than an hour. That was the backwoods example and probably not Fulton co. example
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I appealed the value of a truck I bought for work. the process took less than an hour. That was the backwoods example and probably not Fulton co. example
View Quote

Just to be curious, how much did did the appeal change the valuation?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a used truck last year, and the TAVT was less than I would have paid in sales tax. Where it gets you is buying from an individual or bringing an already owned car from out of state, where you wouldn't have paid sales tax before the change. If you tend to keep you vehicles for a long time you will come out compared to a regular ad valorum tax.

*edit* also the assessed value will be less than the blue book value.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$4000
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is this something the car dealers lobbied for or is another tax grab by the govt..???

td
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

td

While i won't disagree with you on the fact that GADA has PLENTY of lobby in ATL, this was a state administered decision, and implementation. It is actually a good deal for most every car buyer in the state, short of the person that buys or trades every year. The percentage this year is actually 6.75%, Not the 8% as stated above. The "good deal" part of it is you don't have "ad valorem" tax ever again. Once the TAVT is paid, there is only a $20 registration renewal fee each birthday afterwards. So, whether you buy from a dealer or purchase through a "casual sale", the tax is paid once and that is it. Previously, whether you purchased from a dealer and paid sales tax, or from an individual and didn't pay sales tax, you still had to pay the "ad valorem" tax every year... which over a short period of time amounted to more than the current TAVT amounts as per law now. At the end of the day, it's actually a more fair way to tax autos, and actually saves the folks who keep autos a "normal" timeframe money. Hope this sheds some accurate light on the unimformed....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top