Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2011 7:51:21 PM EDT
Buy an action block and don't try to half ass it by using a vice and 2x4s.  Not speaking from personal experience or anything  But me trying to be cheap is gonna end up costing me more in the long run.  So use the right tools and save your self the money.  

P.S. anybody got any stripped uppers they wanna sell?

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the ole wood block method and gut lucky but I do see the right tools in my future... Sorry about your bad luck do you care to elaborate ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You couldn't wait? Hehe.....what happened cousin?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh hell.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Gettin an action block from brownells is way worth the money, even if you only do one,

How bad did ya tweak it? It -might- be fixable, unless you didn't pad it right and chewed it up, or fubard the threads.

Eta, I don't know where ya are but I got a couple sound but scratched uppers

Moving  twice in boxes of gun parts didn't really love the cosmetics

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gettin an action block from brownells is way worth the money, even if you only do one,

How bad did ya tweak it? It -might- be fixable, unless you didn't pad it right and chewed it up, or fubard the threads.

I don't care what it looks like I'm interested in buying one. And basically I used the wooden block but ended up slightly bending the metal right under the ejection port. It's bent enough that the bolt won't go in and the charging handle hangs up. I had the other threa asking for an action block after I tried. I went back and looked and then realized it was bent.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I only use:

the top half

along with

I learned like you.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Best prices I have found on stripped uppers is here.

http://www.surplusammo.com/stripped-uppers/
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But me trying to be cheap is gonna end up costing me more in the long run.  So use the right tools and save your self the money.  

Well said! I can't tell you how many times I've seen adult contractors show up on a customer's job site using tools that came with their kid's bunk beds or their prized collection of harbor freight crap. Ah well, as long as you learned from the experience, it's still a good day.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How's the quality?

Edit: research shows very nice..... Luke, get me an assembled upper while you're shopping. Was gonna get one of these.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-Assembly-M4-Flat-Top-demo-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%20demo.htm

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But me trying to be cheap is gonna end up costing me more in the long run.  So use the right tools and save your self the money.  

Well said! I can't tell you how many times I've seen adult contractors show up on a customer's job site using tools that came with their kid's bunk beds or their prized collection of harbor freight crap. Ah well, as long as you learned from the experience, it's still a good day.

my grandfather always said, "only a rich man can afford cheap tools"

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Just an FYI:

If anyone in the Waycross area ever finds themselves in this situation, I have a Model-1 clamshell-type upper receiver block, and the lower receiver magwell block.

Also have barrel blocks, a USGI barrel nut wrench, a castle nut wrench, and assorted other tools.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#12]
To anwser the question, aero stuff is pretty nice, sa&a sells copious shitloads of it out of their store froont in Tacoma (Lakewood) and a lot of the guys up there use it. Forall the positives I've heard about it, I don't think I've heard more than one negative, and if I remember correctly it was a under drilled pinhole.

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's the quality?

Edit: research shows very nice..... Luke, get me an assembled upper while you're shopping. Was gonna get one of these.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-Assembly-M4-Flat-Top-demo-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%20demo.htm

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm building an AR for the GF and plan on using one of the Aero uppers right now both of mine are Stag. I also have a Brownells Clamshell reciever fixture and armorers wrench if anyone in NE GA needs to use them I'm game.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I sent you an IM about a stripped upper.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I got the im, and the 6 others, I only have a few, I'm waiting to see if the op wants one of them, and how many of the others I can find.

I have metric shit tons of stuff, (I used to have a fairly serious shop setup in my garage and I was cranking them out for guys who provided lowers and cash)

Seriously though, when I did all my various weights for my dity move here the gun shit weighed over 2500 lbs

So for everyone who hit me up askin about blemed uppers, let me help out the op, and than take stock of what I got in my storage
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got the im, and the 6 others, I only have a few, I'm waiting to see if the op wants one of them, and how many of the others I can find.

I have metric shit tons of stuff, (I used to have a fairly serious shop setup in my garage and I was cranking them out for guys who provided lowers and cash)

Seriously though, when I did all my various weights for my dity move here the gun shit weighed over 2500 lbs

So for everyone who hit me up askin about blemed uppers, let me help out the op, and than take stock of what I got in my storage

I think that sounds pretty reasonable.  Thanks man.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I found out the other day that I had messed up one of my uppers.  

I was having trouble getting a scope mounted, no matter what I did I could not get the scope to line up right.  I thought at first the mount was bad, then maybe the scope had a reticle that had shifted.  Turns out, after someone looked at it, that I had twisted the upper ever so slightly causing the scope mount to shift ever so slightly making the reticle off center.

It had been like this for a while unbeknownst to me for years, and if I hadn't decided to put a scope on it I maybe would never had known.  

This was most likely cause when I tried to uninstall the original barrel without an action block.  I am glad that it gave me such fits that I ended up buying one to install a new barrel, but I wish I had known sooner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my grandfather always said, "only a rich man can afford cheap tools"

LOL!  Seeing YOU recommend something that isn't a cheap deal, Deal, DEAL is hilarious.  Dude, you are king of the penny pinchers.  

I do NOT mean that in a bad way.  You are frugal and there isn't anything wrong with that.  We love you the way you are.  

Mark

I may be frugal but I am not cheap. Just because it may take a long time to get what I want doesn't mean I don't get what i feel is the best that I can afford.  And as far as tool go (mechanic tools) I always get the best!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll put a picture up later tonight. I am pretty sure it's to bent to recover. It might work for a .22 kit but for what a new one costs it's probably not worth fixing. But hey ya never know

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Cheaper only costs less once.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a healthy mix of quality and cheap tools.  I have more than my share of Stanley screwdrivers and Black & Decker cordless drills.  

What kind of claw hammers do you have?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Picture added

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep it for posterity.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm gonna swap him a good one for that one, I have a use in mind for it

Or an attempted use anyway
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You Sir are a good man. But hell I don't think I've ever met a Marine that wasn't.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You Sir are a good man. But hell I don't think I've ever met a Marine that wasn't.

+1  Yes he is.  I was just gonna shoot the old receiver once I have the gun fixed just to show it whos boss then reassemble and post pictures in GD claiming a range accident and watch the ensuing hilarity.  But GlockLuvinRedleg is saving the day

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]
A member here did me a huge favor over the holidays, it was actually life changing,

Between that and some other things that have happened recently in my life, and questions about how much longer it will last, and the future quality of it,  I'm attempting to be a better person

I have a lot to pay forward, with very limited ability, so I'm doing what I can
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Very kind man you are.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#33]
What I posted in another thread about being willing to help other folks with builds or lend tools stands too,

I've helped a lot of random members in other states over the course of the last 9 years, just don't be the guy who drives to my house, has me build his rifle for free, and than leaves and pretends like he's never heard of me afterwards.

Sides, I'm the fng in the hometown, ain't gonna get invited to do anything by being an assholle.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry you bent it

Here's my handy work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy shit man, what in the name of zueses beard did you do to that poor upper?

Please tell me that was an oly or something

Nevermind, just saw the roll mark, sad sad fate for a cardinal, them ain't cheap either

Seriously, what exactly were you touring on the get top separation?

That boggles my mind, and I've seen what happens when a track runs em over

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#36]
From the impact mark I think it's pretty clear what happened.

Airsoft pellet hit right behind the brass deflector. Lucky, that hit could have broken skin.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
It was an out of spec upper I bought. I hammered the shit ot of it with a 3 pound hammer.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Airsoft pellet hit right behind the brass deflector. Lucky, that hit could have broken skin.....

What the heck are you on today?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the heck are you on today?

Lack of Root Beer. We need 12oz. of A&W, STAT.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Right on!

Cause aluminum...well...it's ALMOST metal!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Buy an action block and don't try to half ass it by using a vice and 2x4s.  Not speaking from personal experience or anything  But me trying to be cheap is gonna end up costing me more in the long run.  So use the right tools and save your self the money.  

Okay if I link to this post to a thread in "AR Discussions" to maybe save someone some misery?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Go for it I think I saw that thread haha

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/gentleman4561/IMG_6626.jpg

Okay if I link to this post to a thread in "AR Discussions" to maybe save someone some misery?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top