Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2011 2:18:21 PM EDT
Guys, I inherited a homemade trailer from my Dad.He bought it years ago in Alabama. I do have that bill of sale. Anyway, when he passed he lived in SC and didn't need a license plate, registration or title, that I know of. I have read the registration web sites of GA but I just want to try to avoid any complications or multiple trips to the DMV.

Can someone give me a quick and dirty rundown of what I need to do? I can add a serial number plate to it if I need to, it just isn't completely clear. My sister in NC had one hell of a time registering a seadoo trailer that didn't have a serial number. It was crazy insane.

Thanks in avance.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I registered a trailer(factory built) in my county and all they did was look at the bill of sale. She never even ask about the serial number. When I registered my M35A2 she had to verify the numbers.

I know this didn't help.........
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, no real help...but you took the time to reply...uh, thanks.
btw, if it matters I am in Cobb county.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
in my county i went years ago..........she asked me the make and model and serial number.......told her i didn't know any of that.......she said OK we will just put it down as homemade  $15 please
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to get a homemade registration for my boat trailer last year in Gwinnett.  You just need a bill of sale and the DMV will give you homemade VIN ID plate which you install permanently on the trailer.  Next it will have to be signed off by an LEO.  They will come to your house in Gwinnett.   Take the paperwork back to the DMV and pay them $12.00 and you will be legal.  I had to make two trips to the DMV, but some counties may be easier.

Wes
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Commercial truckers do it all the time. Can't be that hard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I did it 20 years ago and was given a serial number tag to attach to it , I do not remember the details in my old age
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, sounds inconsistant depending on county, as usual.

Also, this is for a ultilty trailer. Bill of sale date '92, trailer date '73, from Al.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
When I registered mine two years ago, I had to get a Deputy to say the trailer was roadworthy, then attach a VIN plate and I was good to go
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Byte,

When I registered my homemade trailer in Cobb, they gave me a VIN plate and asked me to attach it to my trailer. It was really easy.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It will depend some on the county. I went in, told them I needed to register a homemade trailer. She gave me a serial number plate and a tag, and asked me for $12. That was it.  You might have to have a deputy come out and look, but I cant swear by that, either. Last time I handled a call like that was more than 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all replies...on last question...

Do I need to take the trailer when I go to get the tags/vin plate? re: the 'inspection'.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It will depend some on the county. I went in, told them I needed to register a homemade trailer. She gave me a serial number plate and a tag, and asked me for $12. That was it.  You might have to have a deputy come out and look, but I cant swear by that, either. Last time I handled a call like that was more than 4 years ago.

Yes sir, this is what happens. Get paper work from tag office.  Call local Sheriff's Office requesting VIN verification, Deputy comes and checks trailer.  He signs stating that the trailer is good to go, attach VIN on trailer.  Take signed paper work to tag office, get trailer tag.

I failed to answer your question.  No you do not have to take your trailer to the tag office.

S/F

Paw
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]
just to add what guy above said, be sure to have the vin plate attached (near the tongue) with rivets or screws with the head rounded out. hence permanantly attached, before the deputy arrives to inspect. some will have you plug it up to your vehicle to test the lights work. quite painless.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably 15 years ago in Cobb County we registered one at the tag office.  We paid them and gave us a VIN plate to bolt on.  That was it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
In Coweta County, I registered a home built trailer I got from my brother-in-law out of state without a problem. He lived on a farm and didn't have it registered in Mississippi.

I just went to the tag office told them what's going on. Paid the fee ($12?) and they gave me a small plate that I was to securely fix to the trailer. A Sheriff Deputy had to come out and inspect it and sign off on the paperwork (from tag office). I took the paperwork back and got my tag.

No problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top