BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That's weird, I've had good luck with Uber around here, I also see a lot of cars with the Lyft sign in the window too.

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Correction, 7/26 at Sweeten Creek Brewing! So tonight!
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
I was hoping to take an Uber so I could have a few drinks, but I’ve noticed there are no Ubers here at all. I lucked out at the airport once, but that was sheer luck apparently. What gives?
View Quote

Same has happened here in Knoxville, get the  Lyft app.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice getting to meet and hang out with you Nolo.  Like I said, Asheville has become a silly and hazardous parody of it's former self.  I don't know how that gets walked back.  But, WNC as a whole has a lot to offer.

To succinctly answer the titular question: Progressives and crooks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

nice to meet you as well!  enjoyed hanging out, and we will definitely have to do it again!
View Quote
Yes, great to meet you!
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I saw this today and was not surprised.

We stopped briefly at the McDonald's by the entrance to Biltmore last week on the way back from TN. It was a nice enough store, they obviously have spent a bunch of money to attract the tourists coming into town. But it was not exactly a place I'd want to revisit. And not b/c it was a McDonald's!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Lived in Asheville from 1988 -1993 while attending A-B Tech and working shitty low-paying jobs. Except for attending a weekend Kegger-BBQ in Mars Hill in '94 I never returned.

Looks like I'm not missing much. Sky-High housing, lack of good-paying jobs (typical of a tourist area), ultra-liberal politicians (FU Cecil Bothwell), and just general creeping weirdness over the past 30 years.

Still want to go hiking/backpacking in WNC someday but no desire to return to Asheville.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:33:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#11]
Tucker Carlson also mentions Asheville in a recent op-ed. He points his finger at Mayor Esther Manheim as being particularly problematic.

In the late 80's and early 90's Asheville had a definitely hippie presence but the local government was conservative. Leftists were looked upon as a barely tolerated nuisance. Of course, that's all gone now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#12]
When this place has been run by the same bunch of yahoos for years, how could we expect any less? The local gov cares nothing about people who live here, unless you are in a "marginalized" group. The big push now is to get rid of plastic bags because that's what's important, never mind the rampant crime, homeless people, or lack of police.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/09/14/nolte-democrat-run-asheville-rises-to-top-10-most-violent-cities/
Democrats are Nazis who want to keep the poor oppressed and dependent while they live in luxury. Violent crime is demoralizing and chases away the middle class. With only the ultra-wealthy and dependent poor, Democrats can assume total, uncontested power,  as they have done in California, Detroit, Baltimore, Atlanta…

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MTR_ACTUAL:
Asheville has become a silly and hazardous parody of it's former self.  I don't know how that gets walked back.
View Quote

Answer: It doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

Answer: It doesn't.
View Quote

That is unacceptable.  Things have to change.  Also, all of this isn't contained to the city limits.  The whole buffet of nonsense pushes out into the surrounding townships.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately, here on the other side of the mountains (Knoxville) we are headed to the way Asheville is. Now when I say Knoxville, I’m talking the city proper. The county is still quite conservative and this leads me to the reason why the city of Knoxville is going the way of Asheville, liberal politicians specifically the current and last mayor. They are both as liberal as they get and their agenda is about helping the homeless “figure it out” as their population has exploded in the city. But hey, the city can spend $500K, yes K, putting up an art display in a downtown park, sound familiar?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MTR_ACTUAL:

That is unacceptable.  Things have to change.  Also, all of this isn't contained to the city limits.  The whole buffet of nonsense pushes out into the surrounding townships.
View Quote
I think we need to push to have the NC General Assembly de-annex everything south of I40.  Keep the city's hands out of all that tax revenue from SAVL, then THEY can figure out how to pay for their nonsense instead of my (our) tax money being poured into their pet projects while SAVL gets constantly ignored.  Ideally, if SAVL and Arden incorporated into a town, it could also keep the county from making decisions that impact the south side.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DistanceX] [#18]
Originally Posted By NC_Andy:
 Ideally, if SAVL and Arden incorporated into a town, it could also keep the county from making decisions that impact the south side.
View Quote

I remember when I was a kid, Fletcher incorporating into a town "to keep Asheville from infesting further south."

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#19]
When this place has been run by the same bunch of yahoos for years, how could we expect any less? The local gov cares nothing about people who live here, unless you are in a "marginalized" group. The big push now is to get rid of plastic bags because that's what's important, never mind the rampant crime, homeless people, or lack of police.
View Quote

Very true with Esther and her all female clown circus called the city council.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Police in North Carolina tourist town reveal worsening violent crime stats following Fox News report

https://www.foxnews.com/us/local-police-north-carolina-tourist-town-release-worsening-violent-crime-stats-following-fox-news-story
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish I could have been there to meet up.
I’m not that far and used to go to downtown Asheville all the time.  I avoid it but still love the surrounding areas.  

I did a car cruise this weekend Brevard to Cherokee via backroads.  Sylva is looking pretty hipster itself and not in a good way.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I just showed up in New Bern (a few hours east) for a contract job and there’s bullshit leftist propaganda everywhere. I’ll be tearing it down bit by bit soon, as soon as I get some time.

Coming from the Arkansas area it’s quite a shock and makes my blood pressure spike. I hate leftists.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Armed robberies are up and occuring weekly or at least are being reported weekly. I'm talking about daylight armed robberies in downtown Asheville, democrat paradise.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 9mmSkeeter:
I just showed up in New Bern (a few hours east) for a contract job and there’s bullshit leftist propaganda everywhere. I’ll be tearing it down bit by bit soon, as soon as I get some time.

Coming from the Arkansas area it’s quite a shock and makes my blood pressure spike. I hate leftists.
View Quote

I'm in downtown New Bern a few nights a week, what sort of propaganda are you seeing?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#26]
My unsolicited opinion, don't go to downtown Asheville. Absolutely nothing there of interest. The closest we regularly go is the baseball game, but downtown is pretty useless. Yes there are some good restaurants and breweries downtown, but I don't think it's worth the effort anymore. Who wants to get accosted by bums and have to step over the addicts laying on the sidewalk?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 9mmSkeeter:
I just showed up in New Bern (a few hours east) for a contract job.
View Quote

Grew up in the 60s and 70s not far from New Bern and still have a lot of friends in the area. One of my high school pals is an ER nurse at Craven County General (now CarolinaEast Medical) and this is his favorite story about the in-comers:

Following a storm flood, a new arrival went out on the back deck of his condo to find a cottonmouth moccasin sunning itself. He bent down and spoke to the snake, telling it that he had to move it to a safer location. After "arriving at an understanding" (his words) with the snake, he bent down to pick it up.

Yep, two days in the hospital and $5k worth of anti-venom which is not covered by insurance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: oldcatawba] [#28]
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Had breakfast downtown yesterday. Saw about the same number of vagrants as I see in Tampa every day. Lots of people on the street.

Noted the homeless were out in force eating and walking from a local church about 1030 hrs as we were leaving to go to Sierra Nevada Brewing.

Maybe that's why we didn't see anything noteworthy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Been a couple of years since I worked in downtown but there were mass migrations around feeding times, I can only imagine it’s way worse now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Democrats strike again!
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Now we have no water, been out since last night, no ETR from the water department.  Good thing they spent half a mil to take down the Vance monument, who needs water anyway?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Now we have no water, been out since last night, no ETR from the water department.  Good thing they spent half a mil to take down the Vance monument, who needs water anyway?
View Quote

Don't forget buying up motels to house the homeless/vagrants and reparations, the idiot mayor and city council libtards still want to do that. At least I live on the East side so this blowout didn't affect us this time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#36]
@NC_Andy

Was away a few for Christmas. Duke shut down power without notification? Have friends in South Asheville who were without water also  but I didn’t realize it was because of the Duke shutdown. Know two people who work at MSDS and the power shutdown also cut off the water pumps causing them to freeze. Wow good thing they got rid of that dangerous coal fired power plant.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
@NC_Andy

Was away a few for Christmas. Duke shut down power without notification? Have friends in South Asheville who were without water also  but I didn't realize it was because of the Duke shutdown. Know two people who work at MSDS and the power shutdown also cut off the water pumps causing them to freeze. Wow good thing they got rid of that dangerous coal fired power plant.
View Quote
I heard something similar, frozen intakes caused a shut down at the Mills River intake. Lots of crying and gnashing of teeth towards city government on social media, but guess who voted all those clowns in. I'm thinking they need to drain Lake Julian next to stop climate change. I bet if I started a FB group it would get traction. ;)
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldcatawba] [#40]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Workers in Democrat-run North Carolina tourist city bemoan downtown decline: 'Really disturbing'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/workers-democrat-run-north-carolina-tourist-city-bemoan-downtown-decline-really-disturbing
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#44]
We stopped going anywhere near downtown several years ago.   I’m so sick of the “victim “ card with all of these progressive towns.    Their cancer is spreading into SC especially the TR area.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#45]
The liberals wanted to turn Trashville into the San Francisco of the east, now they have, the business' in the area are feeling the crunch of this and are pissed. As far as I am concerned, they got what they voted for. The place is full of libs, gays, homeless, and will keep voting the same idiots in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I work in the area. When people complain about all the homeless and garbage, and I point out that the elected officials let that happen, they either are normal people who agree, or the ultra liberal idiots and get pissed off and find some strange obscure way to blame someone or something else. Trump is usually still the scapegoat for most of those dumbasses.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bruh44:
I work in the area. When people complain about all the homeless and garbage, and I point out that the elected officials let that happen, they either are normal people who agree, or the ultra liberal idiots and get pissed off and find some strange obscure way to blame someone or something else. Trump is usually still the scapegoat for most of those dumbasses.
View Quote

If there’s anything I will complement a liberal on is there excellent mental gymnastics skills. . Oh wait, maybe that’s not a compliment
They are absolutely incapable of thinking they’re wrong. I think they enjoy being victims. It’s their identity and needs to be validated on a consistent basis.
Unfortunately, I know quite a few Liberals from school. I no longer talk with them, but I always found one thing extremely puzzling.
They all preach about being nonconformists and freedom of expression, yet they also believe in some of the most oppressive ideologies.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#50]
4 Armed Suspects

Pretty sure they were just trying to help him to his vehicle and he misunderstood.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top