Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2017 1:57:49 AM EDT
Hey guys, my family and I are looking into relocating to the Wilmington area.

Areas to look at for a conservative family with young children?

I'm sick of the desert and always wanted to learn sailing.

I'm concerned about the gun laws however. I read that handguns require a purchase permit. How does that effect someone that already ownes handguns
That's relocating?

I understand that all NFA items are clear and can be moved on a 5320.20

No magazine capacity laws?

Is shooting limited to ranges?

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey guys, my family and I are looking into relocating to the Wilmington area.

Areas to look at for a conservative family with young children?

I'm sick of the desert and always wanted to learn sailing.

I'm concerned about the gun laws however. I read that handguns require a purchase permit. How does that effect someone that already ownes handguns
That's relocating? Nothing needs to be done. Only pertains to new purchase.

I understand that all NFA items are clear and can be moved on a 5320.20. Yes.

No magazine capacity laws?NO

Is shooting limited to ranges?NO. Needs to be 100yds from a dwelling or something like that.

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is shooting limited to ranges?NO. Needs to be 100yds from a dwelling or something like that.
View Quote
Isn't that a county-by-county thing?  I'm not aware of any state regulation regarding that.  In my county, you can only shoot from sunrise to sunset, need to have a backstop and there is a minimum for the size of your lot (10,000 squre feet).

ETA: I'm in Harnett County.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Handgun purchase permit is for the purchase of a handgun only....it is not registration.  The permit is kept by the seller.  If you get a NC concealed carry permit then you don't have to have a handgun purchase permit.  Bring your guns to NC, nothing is required (except for NFA regulations is you have those).
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Isn't that a county-by-county thing?  I'm not aware of any state regulation regarding that.  In my county, you can only shoot from sunrise to sunset, need to have a backstop and there is a minimum for the size of your lot (10,000 squre feet).

ETA: I'm in Harnett County.
View Quote
Maybe. Thats what the officer told me after firing in my backyard. Don't do it. Lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Some counties are limited from distance of an occupied dwelling.

Mags?  I have drums and crap, you can buy what ever you want.

Handguns?  Purchase permit is only for buying, CHP negates that.  Get a CHP.

I don't live out that way, so can't tell you where's good and bad areas. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top