Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 12:02:24 PM EDT
Happy Easter North Carolina!

I'm always on the hunt for great BBQ. This week I'll be driving to Cherry Point to spend a couple of days with a Marine buddy who recently returned from his deployment. Below is basically the route I'm taking.

Where are the GREAT BBQ places along this route? I really like places with STRONG smoke flavor. I can for sure get off the highway to find someplace that's really worth it.

Are there any great BBQ places near Cherry Point? I'll definitely be treating my buddy to a good dinner and drinks.

Been a few years since I've been to NC and I'm looking forward to getting down there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Just south of Winston Salem on Hwy-150 there are two I recommend Speedy Lohrs BBQ and Stameys. I like Stameys better of the two.
If you go into Lexington on Hwy-52 there are several that are good. Speedys (not Speedy Lohrs), Curlys and a little further is "Lexington BBQ"  http://www.lexbbq.com/map-directions/
My understanding is the further east you go the different the BBQ is...mainly the type of sauce they us so it may be a good idea to try different ones along the way. Loosen your belt though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
This place in Goldsboro.

http://www.wilbersbarbecue.com/
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Those look like some good recommendations. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Wilber's in Goldsboro or Parker's in Wilson.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Pik n pig in Carthage is a nice place. Out of your route a bit to the south but good nonetheless 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Noble Meats in Spring Lake, NC would be hard to get to, but is good food.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
A little north of Kinston in Ayden is Pete Jones BBQ (also known as Skylight inn). Also in Ayden is Bum's. If you get to Greenville then B's BBQ is the spot.

Just know that you need to get there a little earlier than normal lunch hour to make sure you beat the rush and they don't run out of BBQ.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little north of Kinston in Ayden is Pete Jones BBQ (also known as Skylight inn). Also in Ayden is Bum's. If you get to Greenville then B's BBQ is the spot.

Just know that you need to get there a little earlier than normal lunch hour to make sure you beat the rush and they don't run out of BBQ.
View Quote
I'm sure I'm late to the party, but B's is awesome.

<- ECU alum
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, guys. I have lots of bookmarks. Had a great time in Cherry Point, but the timing of my drive there was off and I smashed 2 deer in NC on the way back so BBQ got skipped.

I'm sure I'll be back soon enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top