Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2017 3:35:55 PM EDT
http://abc11.com/1859589/

Liberals need to move back northeast where they belong.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
We need laws that favor the assailants and the aggressors, who cares about the person defending themselves ? 
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Zero chance of passing.  Not a news story but an editorial.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If the comments in that article are representative of the loudmouth majority of antis, we have cause for concern.  

An R next to a name doesn't mean much these days.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This is not just a "Stand Your Ground" rollback, it institutes dozens of other regulations including the requirement of gun owners to purchase $100,000 worth of life insurance, the banning of magazines with a capacity over 15 rounds, the ability of ANYBODY to file an order requiring that a gun owner surrender ALL firearms and ALL ammunition to law enforcement...  why did the news article focus on 'stand your ground'.

BTW, "Stand Your Ground" is an inaccurate description of the law as it is.  The correct terminology would be that the law reinstates the 'duty to retreat' requiring that you run away and hide, even from your own home, if you are threatened with deadly force.  The 'duty to retreat' is a de facto and de jure ban on self defense.  It is a cornerstone to a criminal's bill of rights.  Further, it makes gun owners liable if somebody living in their home takes their firearm and uses it.  If you'd like to get your dander up, read through this crap-pile of a bill.  Looks like Sarah Brady wrote it after getting drunk.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/HTML/H723v0.html
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Utterly infuriating nonsense  Whoever wrote that bill lives in some kind of alternate universe. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is not just a "Stand Your Ground" rollback, it institutes dozens of other regulations including the requirement of gun owners to purchase $100,000 worth of life insurance, the banning of magazines with a capacity over 15 rounds, the ability of ANYBODY to file an order requiring that a gun owner surrender ALL firearms and ALL ammunition to law enforcement...  why did the news article focus on 'stand your ground'.

BTW, "Stand Your Ground" is an inaccurate description of the law as it is.  The correct terminology would be that the law reinstates the 'duty to retreat' requiring that you run away and hide, even from your own home, if you are threatened with deadly force.  The 'duty to retreat' is a de facto and de jure ban on self defense.  It is a cornerstone to a criminal's bill of rights.  Further, it makes gun owners liable if somebody living in their home takes their firearm and uses it.  If you'd like to get your dander up, read through this crap-pile of a bill.  Looks like Sarah Brady wrote it after getting drunk.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/House/HTML/H723v0.html
View Quote
No it doesn't and even states that in the bill text.

"§ 14-51.5.  Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(a)        A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.

(b)        A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.

(c)        This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law."
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
(b)        A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.

(c)        This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law."
View Quote
Not going to bother reading the rest of that section?  Whose side are you on?  May I infer that you support the law?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No it doesn't and even states that in the bill text.

"§ 14-51.5.  Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(a)        A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.

View Quote
Perhaps my previous reply was a bit terse and presumptuous. Perhaps you don't know your NC firearm law history.  I put the operative phrase in bold above.  You can ONLY use deadly force within a dwelling WHILE the bad actor is in the process of breaking and entering.  Once they are inside, standard street rules apply, meaning you have a duty to retreat.  If you do not recall, this is exactly what the law was prior to the Castle Doctrine push.  Read it carefully a dozen times as if you were a criminal defense attorney.  You do, in fact, have a duty to retreat once the bad guy is in your house.  You do not WHILE HE IS BREAKING AND ENTERING!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I just read the bill and it pisses me off. Complete bull shit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not going to bother reading the rest of that section?  Whose side are you on?  May I infer that you support the law?
View Quote
No I don't support the law period but that doesn't mean I can't point out you being incorrect about the law. You said the law will require quote "'duty to retreat' requiring that you run away and hide, even from your own home" which is not the case.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No I don't support the law period but that doesn't mean I can't point out you being incorrect about the law. You said the law will require quote "'duty to retreat' requiring that you run away and hide, even from your own home" which is not the case.
View Quote
You are incorrect, sir.  The law rolls back the 'castle doctrine' law we worked hard for to pre-castle days.  You do not have a duty to retreat in your own home ONLY while the perpetrator is in the process of breaking in.  Once they are in, again, standard street rules apply.  This was the law prior and the bill proposes we go right back to it.  You can say I'm incorrect all you want, but I read the bill and that is what it says.  They use fancy wording to throw you off, but you, sir, are INCORRECT.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#12]
This thing is so full of stupid it makes my head spin.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
If only we had a group dedicated to defending us from the raging loons.. a group with a sturdy record of wins since 1994, an all volunteer organization so nobody is having 3-martini lunches on donated funds....

Oh wait, we do!

https://www.grnc.org

Don't fret folks, this bill is going to fail, now is the time to push for other wins like constitutional carry and campus carry.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't fret folks, this bill is going to fail, now is the time to push for other wins like constitutional carry, eliminating the Pistol Purchase Permit, and campus carry.
View Quote
Fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fixed it for ya!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't fret folks, this bill is going to fail, now is the time to push for other wins like constitutional carry, eliminating the Pistol Purchase Permit, and campus carry.
Fixed it for ya!
As I understand it, that is in the works too.

You can thank Sherrif Schatzman of Forsyth county as part of the problem. His keeping the waiting times about 5 months long is absurd.

However campus carry is my main hope... I had a temp job at a local school and despite it being a rich kids school, the place was amazingly vulnerable... I cannot understand how schools are still so weak...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
However campus carry is my main hope... I had a temp job at a local school and despite it being a rich kids school, the place was amazingly vulnerable... I cannot understand how schools are still so weak...
View Quote
We need all the things, of course.  I put Constitutional Carry second to eliminating the arbitrary PPP and decriminalizing School carry.  Yes, Constitutional Carry is important, but it is not as much of a game changer.  I'll take all three and then some, though. Not like we have to settle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We need all the things, of course.  I put Constitutional Carry second to eliminating the arbitrary PPP and decriminalizing School carry.  Yes, Constitutional Carry is important, but it is not as much of a game changer.  I'll take all three and then some, though. Not like we have to settle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amen. Constitutional carry would be nice, but we need to solve the PPP and school carry first. 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Amen. Constitutional carry would be nice, but we need to solve the PPP and school carry first. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed but the problem with constitutional carry is all the misinformation about the bill, thinking it does away with the current system so folks think all the states that currently recognize our permit will stop doing so.

Then there are the Judas's who do training classes and just see money going out the door with this law due to their own selfish desires.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Agreed but the problem with constitutional carry is all the misinformation about the bill, thinking it does away with the current system so folks think all the states that currently recognize our permit will stop doing so.

Then there are the Judas's who do training classes and just see money going out the door with this law due to their own selfish desires.
View Quote
When I lived in Alaska, we went through the same step-by-step process to get the permit first, then Constitutional carry but they kept the permit for people traveling to the lesser 48.  That battle, I believe, will be fought and possibly won at the National level with a federal pre-emption or reciprocity bill.  It may be wishful thinking, but in 1994, NOBODY thought we'd ever see the AWB sunset.  We never thought we'd see Frivolous lawsuit protection.  We were sure Obama would reinstate the AWB, especially after Sandy Hook.  We thought the Supreme Court would swing toward the left.  We never thought we'd get Heller decided in our favor.

Yeah, NC really needs the PPP gone and I'd be happy to see constitutional carry along with it.  Why isn't GRNC pushing the PPP repeal this time around?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, NC really needs the PPP gone and I'd be happy to see constitutional carry along with it. Why isn't GRNC pushing the PPP repeal this time around?
View Quote
My understanding is that they are.

Don't you folks get the alerts? I've been emailing representatives so frequently it borders on nagging.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Just on facebook, no email.  Don't think I would have signed up for email anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just on facebook, no email.  Don't think I would have signed up for email anyhow.
View Quote
Email alerts are essential, the Facebook updates go out slower for some reason...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got a new alert today about this very law. I'd tell you what they said, but would rather you sign up and find out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just got a new alert today about this very law. I'd tell you what they said, but would rather you sign up and find out.
View Quote
Well, that's just silly not to post them on FarceBook as well.  I check that daily and I only check my email when I feel like sifting through spam.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, that's just silly not to post them on FarceBook as well.  I check that daily and I only check my email when I feel like sifting through spam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they did post it to FB but keep in mind that GRNC is volunteer only. They all have to have real jobs to make house warm and food in their stomach.

They really need more volunteers. I can't understand how folks would rather watch football or etc instead of doing more to fight against 2A restrictions.

If as many people actually meant "from my cold dead hands" like their shirts or stickers say, we would have enough folks to make M249's available like Hershey bars...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't you folks get the alerts? I've been emailing representatives so frequently it borders on nagging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, NC really needs the PPP gone and I'd be happy to see constitutional carry along with it. Why isn't GRNC pushing the PPP repeal this time around?

S503 enacts paperless pistol permits.  NICS check for a pistol purchase with a notice of the check sent to the sheriff.

There are three bills in the house and three in the senate, and the crossover date is coming up soon (May I think?).  Just because there is a majority in both houses doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top