Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 2:17:29 AM EDT
If you're a home based FFL, could you clue me in on any state laws and gotchas that may hamper the "comply with state and local laws" part of the FFL application?

And if you happen to be a home based FFL in Chatham County, even better.

I'm researching the idea and while I'm pretty sure the local part is pretty simple (I do have to do a permit for a home-based business now because the zoning nazis won out) but otherwise there's not much locally to stop me.  BUT, I don't know if there are any state requirements on what you have to have or do as an FFL, so thought I'd ask.

full time FFLS, of course, also answer, but I was particularly looking for the experience from small-time home-based FFLs.

And in case it matters, at the moment I'm just looking at an FFL01 and possibly a Class 3 SOT, starting out just doing transfers, maybe online sales and possibly some gun show sales part time until I decide at some point down the road I need a career change or retirement.

I've been reading a lot about the federal level stuff, have the application filled out (though I will probably want to review that again) and am going to go ahead and do the fingerprint card and such in the next few weeks, so I think I'm most of the way there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I had home based FFL here in NC, nothing additional required here.I did have to form an LLC but not a business license. I let mine expire, I was a paying member of the NSSF, they have free seminars pretty frequently I would recommend attending. That's where I got the statistics about home-based FFL robberies and decided it wasn't worth the additional risk to my family. Separate business with business address better option now in my opinion. Did get to attend SHOT show a as a NSSF member which was cool. I actually used FFL123.com and it was dead on, the BATF agent seemed pretty impressed with my questions and paperwork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top