Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2017 5:28:53 PM EDT
so far I've only found centurylink which is what we currently use but it sucks.
is this the only service out here? surely this cant be the the only option

if thats my only choice would a better router help any? we just have the one provided by centurylink.
i'd love to use my new xbox to play battlefield 1 but the internet makes it almost impossible to play.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all over the place.  I use Charter, but I am aware that it's not available everywhere.  It's a cable modem and it's been somewhat reliable.  My daughter was streaming Netflix at 4K with no buffering.  My wife, daughter, and I can all game with no lag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to doublecheck, but I'm pretty sure charter does not service our address
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's all over the place.  I use Charter, but I am aware that it's not available everywhere.  It's a cable modem and it's been somewhat reliable.  My daughter was streaming Netflix at 4K with no buffering.  My wife, daughter, and I can all game with no lag.
View Quote

We also use Charter.  Reliability has been decent... more than 4hrs downtime in a day and they will credit you for the entire day.  Don't recall the package (speeds) we have off the top of my head, but no issues with lag/buffering and we've got a ton of devices connected to two different routers.  

Apparently, Time Warner Cable is becoming available in some areas of the county as well but you'd have to check with them and see if they service your area/address.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Negative on Comcast, timewarner, or charter.
I moved from raleigh where I was pulling 50+ down to here where I struggle to get 7mbps
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What about windstream?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
"Service not available for this address"
I've got a bad feeling that I'm going to be stuck with centurylink
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
When we had Centrylink Prism tv and internet, speed was fine. We move to the edge of county and only get DSL with Centrylink. It is slow, movies are a no-go. We also got Huges net ( to separate systems in house) and it is not any better.

On a side note, I can almost see Ting service from my house, but will never get it here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When we had Centrylink Prism tv and internet, speed was fine. We move to the edge of county and only get DSL with Centrylink. It is slow, movies are a no-go. We also got Huges net ( to separate systems in house) and it is not any better.

On a side note, I can almost see Ting service from my house, but will never get it here.
View Quote

yeah, I moved in with my new wife approx 5 miles from my parents and struggle to get 8mpbs. folks have centurylink too and its probably triple the speed of mine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe look in to getting a MiFi or other wireless hotspot from your mobile service provider?  No idea on the speeds, but I can stream movies on two different devices with no problem using my Verizon MiFi Jetpack from work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe look in to getting a MiFi or other wireless hotspot from your mobile service provider?  No idea on the speeds, but I can stream movies on two different devices with no problem using my Verizon MiFi Jetpack from work.
View Quote

I wish!

I have to go 1/2 down road to get 3G service and 1 mile to get 4LTE.

But I can shoot or pee off my back deck, so it is worth the trade off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wish!

View Quote

me too-but I do wish I could get more speed. country life is great but I want both!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wish!

View Quote

I hear you.  I can do both, and frequently Do!  (Shoot off the back deck while surfing ARFCOM! )

Internet access and cell service were part of the decision matrix when we bought our house here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top