Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2016 5:24:54 PM EDT
Anyone have a current lead time on a recently acquired PPP?  It is supposed to be 14 days, but I'm well into the 2x range.  I recently applied for CCP, but heard the wait time was now getting into 5-6 month territory, so I went to get 5 PPP so I wouldn't have to wait as long to buy at least 1 or more new pistols.  This wait time is redic.  Coming from SC a couple years ago, this is a PITA.

Oh yeah, Mecklenburg county.

There is a very nice cerakoted gray G19 sitting in a case waiting for me

UPDATE:  Just received notification my PPP was approved today.  Original submission date as on or about Oct 30th.  Approved today, November 30th.  Mecklenburg is currently about a 1 month lead time.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you called to see what the hold up is?

If they advertise 14 days then a few calls a day to check would seem in order.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez. I remember not even 18 months ago when I got overnight approval for PPP in Wake County. I got my CWP in less than six weeks and that was about seven weeks ago when I applied.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#5]
They must be a bit backed up, they told my wife about 45 days for her CHL. It's been over 45 days and she's still not heard back yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My friend in Forsyth county is trying to get a purchase permit and drop off his CCW application, they wont even see him until February for him to do the purchase permit application.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
This stuff needs to be taken to court. A right delayed and all that...

That said, the concealed carry "solves" the problem, but you shouldn't have to take a class and pay money just to be able to exercise your rights...
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This stuff needs to be taken to court. A right delayed and all that...
View Quote

Many have said this but few if any have ever done it.

It'd be interesting to see if it's EVER been taken to the courts.

If not why not? Money?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
About six months ago it was ~90 days.

The Sheriff's offices claim the 14 days doesn't start until after the mental health check is returned, which is a major delay. There was an article in the Observer earlier this year about it, where they state it could be four months. You can read it here if you want.
View Quote

That is not what the law says.

§ 14-404.  Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(f)        Each applicant for a license or permit shall be informed by the sheriff within 14 days of the date of the application whether the license or permit will be granted or denied and, if granted, the license or permit shall be immediately issued to the applicant.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
It has been years since I got a pistol purchase permit in Guilford but at that time it was 7 business days.  Never took over that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Took me almost 3 months, same with buddies of mine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

§ 14-404.  Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(f)        Each applicant for a license or permit shall be informed by the sheriff within 14 days of the date of the application whether the license or permit will be granted or denied and, if granted, the license or permit shall be immediately issued to the applicant.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About six months ago it was ~90 days.

The Sheriff's offices claim the 14 days doesn't start until after the mental health check is returned, which is a major delay. There was an article in the Observer earlier this year about it, where they state it could be four months. You can read it here if you want.

This is all fine and well but what a lot of counties have started doing is making you set an appointment to submit an application. The last few PPPs I got before getting my CHL the appointments were booking 2 months out. Yeah, I got them in a bout 10 days but I had to wait 2 damn months to apply for them. The left leaning sheriffs find a way to keep you from getting any more guns any way they can. elections need to have consequences and a bunch of these "we have 'em, so you dont need 'em" libtard sheriffs need to be retired.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It's crazy that NC counties can interpret and enforce that portion of the law in such an inconsistent way. It takes about 24hrs in my county.
CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#15]
people need to start suing the Sheriff's for not following the law and violating their rights
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Mecklenburg is the worst.  I can't speak to purchase permits, but I renewed my concealed carry this spring and it took over 5 months

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Last ones I got in Lee county it only took 1 to 2 days.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
My mom just got approved in Wake in 2 days.  Couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Am I understanding this correctly, in that one must schedule an appointment to APPLY for a Pistol Purchase Permit? The same for CCW?

I'm in Mecklenburg County and this certainly interests me since I regularly OC and have been convinced concealed carry is probably the better option given my profession.  

I've got no issue with strapping the ole' 92 on my hip in the Serpa, especially considering the places I go 99% of the time are open carry-friendly (ABC store being the 1%) and the areas I frequent are not the safest.  Yes, I'm made a target, but a full-size on the hip does send a "this guy might not be easy pickin's" message.  Double-edge sword and all.  I'm aware of the arguments on both sides.  

I'm no legal scholar, but I might be coerced into suing the county for violating the above-mentioned Statute.  I'm cheap.  Will work for steak, preferably bone-in ribeye, and the occasional bottle of vodka.   Hell, the worst I'd be out is the filing fee.  Or would it be ill-advised I attempt such a challenge?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's crazy that NC counties can interpret and enforce that portion of the law in such an inconsistent way. It takes about 24hrs in my county.CHRIS
View Quote

They CANNOT interpret it.  They are denying people their rights.  The state AG should be the one holding them to task for not following the law or the state legislature should change the rules... howsabout repealing the law.  We have NICS, what do we need this antiquated, racist law for?  Look at the racial makeup of Mecklengberg and Forsyth counties.  You'll see that whites are a smaller percentage of the population.  This law is about making sure that the "right" people get the guns... white people.  RACISM at its worst.  Ever wonder why you have to appear in person?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Am I understanding this correctly, in that one must schedule an appointment to APPLY for a Pistol Purchase Permit? The same for CCW?

I'm in Mecklenburg County and this certainly interests me since I regularly OC and have been convinced concealed carry is probably the better option given my profession.  

I've got no issue with strapping the ole' 92 on my hip in the Serpa, especially considering the places I go 99% of the time are open carry-friendly (ABC store being the 1%) and the areas I frequent are not the safest.  Yes, I'm made a target, but a full-size on the hip does send a "this guy might not be easy pickin's" message.  Double-edge sword and all.  I'm aware of the arguments on both sides.  

I'm no legal scholar, but I might be coerced into suing the county for violating the above-mentioned Statute.  I'm cheap.  Will work for steak, preferably bone-in ribeye, and the occasional bottle of vodka.   Hell, the worst I'd be out is the filing fee.  Or would it be ill-advised I attempt such a challenge?
View Quote

You start by paying online and filling everything out online, for both.  You will get confirmation emails and a PDF to print off which has all the information you just filled out, so make sure it is all correct.  While doing this online bit, you will schedule an appointment for CCP only.  For the PPP you print and go in person within five days to sign the PDF packet in front of the Notary that is in the office, otherwise start over.  At the appointment for the CCP you will sign docs in front of the Notary, hand in your cert from the CCP class, and then they will scan your prints.  Then the waiting game starts.  I recommend taking a picture of the Cert, but that doesn't mean it's safe to lose.  Do not lose it.  Once you hand your CCP course certificate with the other paperwork, it goes in a file and you'll never see it again.  If you lose it somehow, you have to contact your instructor and beg to get another copy.  Some will not issue a second copy, and you'll end up having to take the course again most likely.

The whole process with the PPP is infringement.  The thirty days I had to wait for a PPP, some criminal could have bought as many guns as they wanted.  Absolutely infuriating.

Any lawyers here?  What would we need to do to get the PPP law repealed?

I'm 'ok' with the CCP situation, but they need to have a reasonable lead time for application processing.  Current processing time is 4-6 months I've heard for Meck.  Ridiculous.  The only upside is I have had a chance to get some solid training classes in during this waiting period, with more on deck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Iredell County took about a week and half to get my PPP still waiting on CCP was told 12 to 14 weeks
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a ccw, but if I sell a pistol to someone who has a purchase permit (but no ccw) am I supposed to take one of his original purchase permits, or is it only an FFL that has to physically receive one of those permits?

I would still want to take a photo of the permit to CMA but not sure what the actual law is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a ccw, but if I sell a pistol to someone who has a purchase permit (but no ccw) am I supposed to take one of his original purchase permits, or is it only an FFL that has to physically receive one of those permits?

I would still want to take a photo of the permit to CMA but not sure what the actual law is.
View Quote

IIRC Law states transfers must have either a PPP or CHP for a handgun.  For private transfers it only specify's that you have it.  Nothing about making copies or keeping it.  Most people suggest the seller make a copy of the PPP/CHP with DL on the receipt to CYA.  But it is not required.  A FFL will keep the PPP or make a copy of the CHP and DL.

State law is silent on transfers between FFL to FFL.  They'll go by Fed law and note it down in bound book with copy of other FFL.  ie Type 01 dealer/Type 01, Type 03/Type 03, Type 01/Type 03 (Ten different FFL types).  An FFL Type 01 doesn't get a PPP for every handgun that comes into their store for inventory from another wholeseller of arms.

CD
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
So, are the new PPP guidelines the same as the CCP with the exception of fingerprinting and mandatory classes?

I understand that you have to sign some waiver giving them permission to check you.  Is that right?

The last time I got a PPP before the new law, all I did was fill out a form with personal information, like a 4474, and pay $5.

A week or so later, my purchase permit was ready.  What's different now?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, are the new PPP guidelines the same as the CCP with the exception of fingerprinting and mandatory classes?

I understand that you have to sign some waiver giving them permission to check you.  Is that right?

The last time I got a PPP before the new law, all I did was fill out a form with personal information, like a 4474, and pay $5.

A week or so later, my purchase permit was ready.  What's different now?
View Quote

You might want to get your answer direct from the horses mouth.

NC Article 52A
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#28]
It looks like you have to authorize them to search court records for mental health commitments or determinations of
mental defectiveness, etc.  I thought that was standard protocol as with the NICS.  I wonder why you have to
authorize them to do that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top