Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 8:47:56 PM EDT
My fiance and I are looking at houses and we are looking at properties with some land.  I would love to set up a backyard range, so I am looking at the local ordinances.  Concord and Rock Hill both have laws that state it is illegal to discharge firearms "in the town"... does that mean within the town borders?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Most cities and towns will have similar ordinances. Will need to be in the county outside of city / town limits.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet would be to find a place outside of the city, but in the county.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Firearms cant be discharged inside city limits, so if you're in the city that will definitely be an issue. Even outside of that and in the county, you best hope the surrounding neighbors/people don't complain about the noise or it will still get shut down.

Best case would be finding a like-minded individual who owns land out in the county, and enough of it that it doesn't bother people around in the area.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You will have trouble even out in the county. Just ask  Dr Land down in Weddington... Wesley Chapel area. Even approved by the NRA and the neighbors drug him thru court constantly.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I kind of disagree. I built a range at my house, it complies with county ordinances. Some snowbirds up the road didn't like it.

Tough tit for them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on your county. Randolph is great
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I kind of disagree. I built a range at my house, it complies with county ordinances. Some snowbirds up the road didn't like it.

Tough tit for them.
View Quote

Dr Land had to spend several thousand dollars in lawyers to tell his side of the story. He eventually won....but it cost him. Depends on your neighbors I guess. You can google it and read several accounts on the ongoing legal battles.

Dr Land Fight
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Good excuse to get suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the way you think sir
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ironically those complaining neighbors believe suppressors should be banned .....  They want to move down south and live in the country and where they have country life and sounds, then they  cry and freakout .   ".. There is black snake in the yard ...call 911....."

It is sad, there used to be great a daycare/summer camp off  Common Wealth Ave(right by Briar Creek) in Charlotte  where kids shot archery, BB guns (soda can targets from lunch, cans towers fell but hitting a yellow jacket took skill, had a monkey vine,did art's and crafts, and even  built damns after lunch in the creek from a faucet. Once a week they took kids to pool and taught them all how to swim. Ran by a church I can't think of , councilors were mainly mid to older teenagers but wasn't religious but character building was part of the general expected behaviour. Worse part of breaking a rule was the look of disappointment from the (older)head guy in your behaviour. Sadly they, being the City of Charlotte and the non-country non-southern   ""invaders"", would never allow such a place to operate today.

They are basically banning firearms by using regulating by restriction type laws, for  the ability to shoot your gun(s). They've used the same style of  tricks against topless clubs. By making it so there was no way you could open one within the requirements "not within so many feet of a ___(insert long list of children ,churches and other common places), in any area. Then  if a type of business came in after you being there for years, your business was denied to operate not the new one...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dr Land had to spend several thousand dollars in lawyers to tell his side of the story. He eventually won....but it cost him. Depends on your neighbors I guess. You can google it and read several accounts on the ongoing legal battles.

Dr Land Fight
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tough tit for them.

Dr Land Fight

That's why I said "kind of", I remember the story. If someone with deep pockets (or a group pools money) they can make life harder for you, right or wrong.

Your neighbors have a huge impact on your home life. Right now I'm golden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top