Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2016 12:18:43 PM EDT
Been using Verizon for years.  Finally dumped the family plan.  What are you folks using and how is your service?

Let me know where and how your coverage is working for you.  

I figure on about 3GB for data.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
AT&T

It's not bad, if you get out in the country good luck because you'll drop it fast.  Reception is horrible when trying to make it through concrete walls though.  In high school I was always having no service while other kids with verizon had plenty
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Verizon, discount through employer, excellent coverage nationwide including AK.

Left 3 yrs of T-Mobile (got a good discount through employer for year one) a year or so ago, they advertise better coverage now, but when I was with them you basically moved into a dead zone when you got West of Kansas minus a few big cities. They told me they had no plans of fixing that. Southern Illinois coverage was pretty weak. Coverage around W-S sucked, first house was in town, lost coverage walking to the front yard. Current house had more dead than useful areas. They claimed they were upgrading some towers and that would improve eventually. Their coverage map was very accurate, but when the rep said spotty he meant won't have coverage.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Cricket.  Uses the ATT network.  Cheap.  No contract.  Works just fine
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Virgin Mobile, was decent at $25 a month until my old phone tanked forcing me to get a 3g, thus forcing me to get their 3g plan...still not terrible at $37 a month. I don't talk much on the phone so I think I only have 300 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Verizon as my personal phone, which gets a better signal and has better coverage than my AT&T work-provided cell phone.  However, the coverage and signal isn't "incredibly" better.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Verizon   better coverage than ATT
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Verizon   better coverage than ATT
View Quote

This.  Verizon is the best but its damn expensive.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
charlotte area, had Sprint when i moved here. i was working alot in statesville and had crap service. now i pay more and use verizon. i went from unlimited data to i think 12gigs. but I have service all over, even in rural Kansas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I wound up getting Verizon because I was travelling for work and I realized everyone with Verizon still had a signal at the various work locations, while the rest of us may or may not.  AT&T seemed to be the worst.  At one plant, they set up two laptops so we could check our e-mail and do our time cards.  One had a Verizon aircard, the other one AT&T.  The AT&T one took about  a minute to load a page if not longer.  In just a few days, the Verizon equipped computer kept giving us messages about data usage charges for going over the plan amount because everyone was using it and not even bothering with the other one.  They finally shut the Verizon one down, I guess when they got that first bill LOL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Google Project Fi.  Coverage on 3 networks and wifi calling that has an auto VPN.

And cheap.  And works (basically same price) in 120 countries.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Been with Verizon for years. They're expensive and sleazy just like most cell providers.
But they do have excellent coverage. About 20 miles past BFE you'll find my hunt club.
And I have almost 100% coverage there. Don't see any reason to change that.
Good luck. d:^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an AT&T prepaid Go Phone.  $40 a month.  In my travels, the only places I loss coverage is deep in Kanawha State Forest when I visit my in laws in West Virginia, and occasionally in the warehouse in work in, in Salisbury.  Other than that, I'm golden.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I use Ting (my actual phone is connecting to Sprint's network), and I spend about 99% of my time in North Raleigh, between just north of 540 and 440. Coverage is good (voice is a little spotty in my office and at home, but data is good everywhere), and for my level of usage (<200 min voice, <1GB data, 0 texts), I'm only paying like 18-30 bucks a month for it (ting charges for usage, so the amount varies month to month - if i'm super strict about data and voice, I can get in under 20 bucks, but 25-26 bucks is more typical).

ETA: I travel to DC regularly to visit my brother; coverage is crap on the train, but fine in the city. Sometimes go down to north florida to visit my folks and extended family, Sprint coverage in Florida is some ho-o-orse cra-a-ap, let me tell you.

ETA2: I had Verizon for several years before I switched to Ting -- service was always solid and fast, but for going to $75/mo to <$30/mo, I'll take the coverage and network being a little slower.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I had Sprint for 8 years and with Verizon about 6. I heard about Google's plan, it's incredible. You pay 20 bucks for talk and text unlimited and 10 bucks for every gb of data. The only  phones that work are Nexus phones, but my Nexus 6 is the best phone that I have ever had, and I have had a lot. Only the Nexus has the ability to switch to different networks and wifi with no affect to the call. They have over 200,000 secure wifi networks across the country. The phone is always looking for the strongest signal but wifi is the number one choice. Clark Howard used it for 3 months on a trial and didn't want to stop. He averaged almost 10GB a month with Verizon. He decided to see how fast 1 gb would last. He was shocked to go almost the full month before being warned it was getting low. Best part, if you go over your data you only pay for what you use only. If you use less it will credit your next bill. It's a great system and I live in a rural area and my signal is far better than with Verizon and Sprint.
NCH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top