Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 1:00:25 PM EDT
Hello all,
Im EASing out of the Marine Corps in December, I like NC so much that ive decided to stay in the state. Its gonna be a little weird getting used to the absurd laws pertaining to purchasing a handgun here but its a compromise im willing to make. I really love the atmosphere in western NC and Gastonia is far enough away yet close enough to Charlotte for me to find gainful employment there. I already know about shooters express in Belmont and a few other places to shoot. Can someone fill me in on some must see gun/surplus stores in the area? Id also like to meet some new people with a ike mind love of all things guns in the area, as I don't really know too many people over there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome and thanks for your service!

Don't even sweat the handgun purchase hoops, just get your CHP as soon as possible and then that's all you need. You don't have to get a pistol purchase permit after that.

You don' t have to be a resident to take the required course for your carry permit so if you can work it in before you move then your ahead of the game. All you have to wait for then is the residency requirement. You don't have to take the class in the county you reside but you do have to apply to the sheriff in the county you will reside so check to see if they have a waiting list and get on it as soon as you have your class out of the way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
I already have my GWCL (Georgia weapons carry licence) Ive looked into getting the NC permit here in Jacksonville, I just really am having a hard time accepting the fact that all of this BS has to be done to obtain it.  Im gonna work on getting it though. Its a process I should probably knockout before I get out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Welcome and thanks for your service!

Don't even sweat the handgun purchase hoops, just get your CHP as soon as possible and then that's all you need. You don't have to get a pistol purchase permit after that.

You don' t have to be a resident to take the required course for your carry permit so if you can work it in before you move then your ahead of the game. All you have to wait for then is the residency requirement. You don't have to take the class in the county you reside but you do have to apply to the sheriff in the county you will reside so check to see if they have a waiting list and get on it as soon as you have your class out of the way.
View Quote
All of this. Once you have the CHP, its basically a non-issue.

Good luck settling in. I'm in the same general region, probably 45 minutes from you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You

Actually want to move to Gastonia?

I'm in Mint Hill. Hollar out when you're in the AO.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I do lol,
My girlfriend of 2 years lives in cherryville, it's looking like it's gonna be something permanent so I'm wanting to stay around that area. I like gastonia, it reminds me of where I come from in GA. I'll actually be in town this weekend for the 4th. I'm thinking of checking out that new place over in shelby. I keep hearing bad things about it though so I'm not keeping my expectations really high.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure if you're info NFA items, but JK Silencers is in Lincolnton and Tar Heel State Firearms is in Matthews.
View Quote

I know about them and want one, haven't really read to much into the atf or the process of getting a stamp. NFA is a little to expensive for my blood right now
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Located a few minutes outside of Gastonia myself, there are a couple of us here in the area.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah I do lol,
My girlfriend of 2 years lives in cherryville, it's looking like it's gonna be something permanent so I'm wanting to stay around that area. I like gastonia, it reminds me of where I come from in GA. I'll actually be in town this weekend for the 4th. I'm thinking of checking out that new place over in shelby. I keep hearing bad things about it though so I'm not keeping my expectations really high.
View Quote

Well, ain't that some shit? We live near C'ville- Kings Mountain and our son is in the Marine Corps. If I can be any help feel free to give me a shout.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, ain't that some shit? We live near C'ville- Kings Mountain and our son is in the Marine Corps. If I can be any help feel free to give me a shout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I do lol,

That's some coincidence lol, what does he do and where is he stationed?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate all the offers for help, guys. As I get closer to December I may take some of you up on your offers, we'll definitely have to have a range day!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I do lol,

He went to C'ville High School BTW.

Anyhoo, he's an 03 in the 1/3, K Bay Hi. Lucky dog.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I do lol,

I hear a lot of mmixed feelings about Hi. Some dudes love it and some dudes hate it. Tell him I said best of luck to him,
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Very expensive place to be for a young LCpl. Word is they don't really like non-islanders in town, let alone .mil guys.

Thanks for your service, you guys are a rare breed nowadays. Where are you from BTW?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very expensive place to be for a young LCpl. Word is they don't really like non-islanders in town, let alone .mil guys.

Thanks for your service, you guys are a rare breed nowadays. Where are you from BTW?
View Quote

Born and raised in Griffin, GA. Its about 40 min south of ATL. Once he makes NCO he should start enjoying life a little better. LCpl can be a tough spot. especially in his MOS.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have cousins that live not far from there.

Our son is pretty happy and as far as I can tell, having way too much fun!
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not sure if you're info NFA items, but JK Silencers is in Lincolnton and Tar Heel State Firearms is in Matthews.
View Quote

Lincolnton is my hometown, neat that they have a silencer shop.

Before I moved to TX in 2010, I lived in far-east Gastonia (next to the Lowell city limits) for two years.  Just know that the west side is older and has the ability to get lively, but it's worth it to go to ROs

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Late to the thread, I live in GasVegas.  PM me anything you want to know, ranging from hidden places to eat and where not to get shot at.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Before I moved to TX in 2010, I lived in far-east Gastonia (next to the Lowell city limits) for two years.  Just know that the west side is older and has the ability to get lively, but it's worth it to go to ROs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ROs is horrible excuse for BBQ, they make slaw only.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

He just opened a storefront (I think it was 4/30). He's done home-based for awhile. He still has a full time job, so I think he's open two evenings during the week and then some Saturday hours.

Real nice guy. I've shot with him a couple times (including putting my Beowulf upper on one of his FA lowers), and also went to his open house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He just opened a storefront (I think it was 4/30). He's done home-based for awhile. He still has a full time job, so I think he's open two evenings during the week and then some Saturday hours.

Real nice guy. I've shot with him a couple times (including putting my Beowulf upper on one of his FA lowers), and also went to his open house.
I've got a Griffin Optimus in his jail holding cell.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if it were not for the slaw they would have been long gone. Sweetfire in Lincolnton is GTG.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yeah, if it were not for the slaw they would have been long gone. Sweetfire in Lincolnton is GTG.
View Quote
Ray's Smokehouse on Broad / 2nd is pretty good, and under the radar.

For a steak, Woodshed in Stanley, can't beat them really.

Shoguns on Garrison for Japanese.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I took the old lady to GIA fusion house a few weekends ago. it was pretty good sushi, ill have to check out these barbeque places.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on the Woodshed....
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I took the old lady to GIA fusion house a few weekends ago. it was pretty good sushi, ill have to check out these barbeque places.
View Quote
I like Hillbillies off of 85 in Lowell.  Rays on 2nd / Broad is nice hole in the wall type.
Chain kind of food Shane's Ribshack in Franklin Square will work, added bonus of Gander Mountain to play around in.

I used to go to the Passion Grill off of New Hope / Franklin, it's behind the gym and OCharlies.

If you haven't noticed, going out to eat on Friday nights is impossible, I like hitting Surf and Turf in Bessemer, and NorthStar in Dallas sometimes.

Good wing place is Whiskey Mill in Bessemer also.  I live in Bessemer / Dallas area of the county.

If you need anything I know my way around (telephone man for 15 years).
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1 on the Woodshed....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on the Woodshed....
You can't beat the Woodshed for a steak, it's pricey, but man their steaks are cooked perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#29]
how did a conversation take place about ROs without mentioning hookers? ros was terrible when we tried it.
In my year in town, i've grown fond of hill billys in lowell. i have not personally tried it yet but hear great things about blacks in sc, right down 321 i think.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

how did a conversation take place about ROs without mentioning hookers? ros was terrible when we tried it.

In my year in town, i've grown fond of hill billys in lowell. i have not personally tried it yet but hear great things about blacks in sc, right down 321 i think.
View Quote
I'm not a fan of blacks personally,  Carolina Country on Union was pretty good, I think they got bought out.
Hillbillies on Garrison is good to go also.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROs slaw is one of those local things. If you did not grow up eating it you probably want like it, just like Livermush. I do miss the slaw and every time I'm in area bring some back. Blacks taste the same to me.
You will have to find Tony's ice cream. Get a milkshake.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Yessir, Tony's has been around forever and pretty good.

Also, Zippers in Lincolnton is hard to beat for a home cooked meal.

Our son just came home for a visit, he always wants to hit Los Arcos in Gastonia. Pretty decent Mexican chow.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Is that the Mexican place on mainsteet?that place is pretty bomb. I've had tonys as well. Hope he has fun on leave, tell him I said Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Our son just came home for a visit, he always wants to hit Los Arcos in Gastonia. Pretty decent Mexican chow.
View Quote

Have you tried Guacamoles, on Union Rd I believe? I like them for Mexican food, they have a good lunch buffet too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Have you tried Guacamoles, on Union Rd I believe? I like them for Mexican food, they have a good lunch buffet too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sir, but I will put it on my "to do" list. I do love Mexican grub.

Los Arcos is on New Hope in front of the mall, between 85 and Franklin Blvd.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the one at Franklin / Garrison.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, all the Los Arcos' are good eatin'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top