Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2016 3:25:31 PM EDT
Guys, one of my closest friends will be taking a job there in August.
He's originally from western TN so you wont have as much trouble understanding him as I do.
Are any of yous guys up for helping him find a decent neighborhood to live in? He's used to living in small town Colorado with ranchers and rodeo people.
I'm sure we could compensate yous guys with some good Colorado beer or whiskey
Feel free to IM or email. Thanks for your thoughts,
Augydoggy
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah he's probably not going to like Greensboro very much.  As far as looking for a nice neighborhood its really a crap shoot unless he's willing to pay atleast $1200 a month.  Anywhere with rent under a grand will undoubtedly have a handful of shitbirds living there.  I just left Greensboro last month
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah Greensboro itself is pretty crummy. None of the "big" cities nearby are especially nice, all have better and worse parts.
However there are many small communities nearby, and rural/agg areas not too far out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Advise him to go north and west in Guilford County, the home county of Greensboro. If he has school aged children, try for the school districts of Northwest or Northern.

Avoid any neighborhood east of Battleground Avenue and south of Wendover Avenue if he settles inside the city limits of Greensboro, IMO.

Local elected officials and career bureaucrats are left-leaning and ashamed of the fact the Greensboro is in the south. They act as though it is in Alabama. Their dream is for the City to be seen as progressive.

The county Sheriff is Republican and has been in office for years. But he is near retirement and certain leaders in the clergy and other progressive arms of government have already plotted to elect his replacement. Their last candidate had a criminal record and was fired as police officer at another agency.

There are gangs and drugs around like anywhere else. We had the Klan-Nazi shootout in 1979 that the establishment will not left us forget about. If gets brought out whenever the left needs to get voters registered.

The weather is not bad but there is not much culture or much in the way of amenities for the working class folks. Not the worst place to live but we have our issues. And the local newspaper is terrible and the editorial board predictably liberal.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in GSO off Summit Ave & 4th St (Millville) but haven't lived there in a long time.
I do remember that out t'wards Summerfield was mostly "agricultural" and Northwest was a great school.
Also down 421 near Liberty.  GSO downtown was very, uuhhh, "diverse" even back then.
Best pizza in town was New York Pizza on Tate St. Best BBQ at Country BBQ on Wendover! (Sorry Stamey's)   d:^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in southern Guilford County.  Not too far from the Randolph County line.  Pretty nice still down here, but we are agricultural for the most part.  My wife is a school teacher for the county but we have homeschooled both our kids (if that tells you what the school system is like).  

I would suggest looking in Randolph, Davidson, or one of the neighboring counties (skip Forsyth) for a place to locate.  Drive into Greensboro would not be bad and taxes would be much cheaper.  Guilford is pretty high.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It really depends where he's working. Have him look in Kernersville. Small town in the middle of Greensboro/W-S/HP that seems to be isolated from the "youts"..

There are some nice parts of GSO, but you will want to be in the country south, north or northwest. I live in the sticks. NE has horrible schools if he has kids, but NE county is still OK without kids (I drive my kid 25 miles to a private school to avoid NE public schools). If I had to live in town it would be NW near New Garden/Battleground, but the airport is too close for my liking and property values are high. Traffic is also bad.

The beauty of the Triad area is that you're +/-4 hours from some of the best beaches/mountains in the world.

No need for beer. We have the best microbrews here already.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll second Kernersville for a place too live...

Nice area with low rent rates..
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the advice!
I'll have to get him an arfcom membership as a going away present!!

ETA: He's from eastern TN, not western... I'm pretty unfamiliar with that part of the US.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I would avoid Guilford County altogether. Look at Forsyth to the North West or Randolph or Davidson to the South West. Greensboro is a liberal stronghold.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would avoid Guilford County altogether. Look at Forsyth to the North West or Randolph or Davidson to the South West. Greensboro is a liberal stronghold.
View Quote

Greensboro is sliding into the Washington DC South or Durham North model of government.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Belews Creek, north and west of Greensboro. I'd avoid Greensboro on principal.

Forsyth county where I'm at isn't bad, but you couldn't pay me to live in Kernersville or Winston Salem. The tax bill alone is a deal breaker for me.

If I were buying again, it would be Davie or northern Davidson counties first for me. Barring that, Surry or Stokes county, but I don't mind a drive to get home if I've got solitude and acreage, and I've got 12 acres to prove it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top