Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 7:49:26 PM EDT

Yes, concealed carry permit.  This is my second renewal, so I've had a permit 10 years.

Last renewal, in 2011, the process was simple and cost $30.  This time I filled out the forms online and made an appointment, which was today.

I felt the online instructions were a bit confusing.  My wife is renewing too and she thought the same....and she's way smarter than me.

Renewal cost this time...$81.59.

The staff was friendly and very efficient.  We were almost 45 minutes early and they processed us immediately, we were there maybe 15 minutes.

She told us that it make take 3 to 4 months to get our new permit.

A bit of a rant here.....we now have a Republican general assembly and Governor, and it's harder and more expensive to renew than when the Democrats were in charge.

Mecklenburg County

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just went through the renewal here in the foothills and it took 3 days over 2 weeks.

It works in places.

Where did you pay $30 for a renewal in 2011? The fee has been $75 for renewals for years in NC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, sounds like Meck.

Renewal in Iredell last year took all of 2 weeks, total from dropping off forms to new permit in hand.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Person County I just filled out the form, showed my existing CHL and DL, handed over $75 and waited about 1.5 months. It's actually at the Sheriffs office now waiting on me to pick it up
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
OMG don't even get me started.

mine expired 2 years ago because they only do renewals on a single day of the week, during the hours at which most people work, without regard to anyones inability to get off on said day.

my wife's permit is invalid because her address is wrong, she's called and been told "just come by and fill out a form anytime" only to be told "the deputy isn't available" when she gets there.

II booked my appoint for a new permit a few weeks ago. first opening is in July. I had to take an entire day off work to make an 1100am appt because they won't do 4pm appts.

OH, and our "new" Sheriff promised to streamline permitting and make it more accessible as part of his campaign. the only thing he has done is require purchase permits and CHP applications be done online, and pay with a CC, then charges a $2 processing fee and a $3 convenience fee for doing it online.  so a single $5 purchase permit is now $10
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
just done mine next door in union county. simple online form....except they wanted to know every place you lived since you were 16. you know how hard that is for someone that was in the military.
anyways took about 3 weeks to get it back. I was told it would take 2.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just went through the renewal here in the foothills and it took 3 days over 2 weeks.

It works in places.

Where did you pay $30 for a renewal in 2011? The fee has been $75 for renewals for years in NC.
View Quote

I was about to ask the same question then I figured the op was just confused about the price since NC doesn't have a CCP and as you have noted the renewable for a NC CHP is $75 dollars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
yep sucks--I waited 2 months for my renewal
went down to pick it up and my address was wrong.
they gave me a temporary permit and said they'd call in a week
when it was ready.
I called today--2 weeks later and its finally ready to be picked up.
Thanks for the call guys...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top