Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2016 3:47:26 PM EDT
So I just got a new 4runner Trail, and it needs an inaugural mountain road trip to get dirty.

I'm thinking of heading up to the Wilson Creek area Sunday and playing on some of those gravel roads, doing a few hikes with the dog, maybe around the Linville Gorge too.

Anyone have some other recommendations? I'm in the Lake Norman area. Willing to go about 2 hours away for the destination area.

This is my first real "off road capable" vehicle, so I'm a bit of a newb here. I know the Brown Mountain OHV trail system is nearby, but I'm not going that crazy yet. Also know of Uwharrie, but I've never been there before. Again, the pictures I saw online look a bit more rugged than I'd like with a new vehicle.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of Uwharrie isn't that bad.  Been though a good bit of it with my 2WD F-150.  

You looking for mud / offload trails or what?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't really know what I'm looking for, that's part of the problem. I've had sports cars for the last 8 years, so all I've ventured on is gravel mountain roads.

I know the 4x4 system mechanically, when to use what in theory, but I don't have too much real life experience with it besides in snow.

It'll be me and a buddy in a Wrangler Sahara, but he's about the same off road skill level as me. Basically we know snow and rough gravel trails, and that's about it.

So I wouldn't say no to some mud, as long as its not a total bog. Definitely no technical rock crawling stuff.

I've never been to Uwharrie even though I'm only like an hour away, so maybe that's a good destination spot to explore?

ETA: Website says Uwharrie OHV trails are closed until April 1. Maybe still head down there though and get a feel for the area.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]

This place is famous all the way up here in PA.  Ive always wanted to go.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.offroaders.com/album/Tellico/index1.html

View Quote
Those pictures look way more advanced than I'm ready for. But I'll save that for the future. Also too far for Sunday, but I'll be vacationing near there in March, may take a visit then.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, looks like we're going to head down to Uwharrie tomorrow, even though the OHV trails are closed. We'll explore and recon for future visits.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, looks like we're going to head down to Uwharrie tomorrow, even though the OHV trails are closed. We'll explore and recon for future visits.
View Quote

trails usually open back up around the first of April. And they have anything from mild to wild. wild being rock climbing buggies only type obstacles. Several miles of gravel roads to drive on. go online and print you off a map
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are some pics form events that were hosted at Uwharrie.

Use to go up there a lot. Hopefully soon I will be able take a weekend or two.

Usually the trails are closed from Nov till March or April, helps prevent erosion and gives rangers time for repairs.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/9046/50826

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/9046/53768

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Just got back, Uwharrie was just what we were looking for.

Yeah, the OHV trails were closed, but we played around on the gravel roads. There were plenty of mud holes, and the path down to the river by Deep Water Trail Camp required 4 hi to make it back up.

The dogs got to play in creeks, and we got mud on the trucks. All in all, a good day.

Pics to follow in a few.

Definitely going to hit the OHV trail when they open.

ETA: Hopefully the pics work, google has been spotty lately with letting me post them.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#9]
brown mountain has 4wd trails... near enough to Wilson Creek too. the 4wd trails are seasonal though, no idea what the on and off dates are though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
If you find anything let me know. I just got a 2016 Tacoma Off Road and it's my first off-road type vehicle, so I'd like to see what it can do.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, the OHV trails were closed, but we played around on the gravel roads. There were plenty of mud holes, and the path down to the river by Deep Water Trail Camp required 4 hi to make it back up.
The dogs got to play in creeks, and we got mud on the trucks. All in all, a good day.
Pics to follow in a few.

ETA: Hopefully the pics work, google has been spotty lately with letting me post them.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ph5AVqAhL3GWY4trwkh7x6M995KCTfXi2qiOhnf_dH9dEeOvxQbKPP53LE0oeVIbuN1gtHQoWErCT-z_cfQayF1zxXlaPE0m109YDwYvYrd7WU44VdKwR2W7iaF7N2WzumakXUvTBqhzXPURrhRRrIMAmYl0gamN3LyTyI2opvMovOPNoD-j_cY5ZCJZcs_Na57Pyx2rWqgWNQL4_-1diobLSKW_XCjp-KYRJqwHeu5n7WtlGr-VsWPZUehs2E1dR8VrZ10L_dnUivXrVCqqHY7Ja3Ysh2Pu7OSK6Uh1JojdWeuAK_KluyLW4Zcx2iuQCZFwTaelaYRl4kqxixZ5Ec_th8yaTUJqqzJXsFXs0RcZdMpWwcxWArEP0sdDAjbXub4FymwjP7wApFoXapiVqDZT08fOFntb-sSkH-Cxw8rESzgyRRbJ3wdfti5YKx6D_KalXFRyXwhU_3Km4nHthlg9kBeiLOdK3Kq3uEkuei4QPIHsJ97GtwFTX9vhYzjaGLgw6tLS6OOaDaFwcN-WL2u731K0ANPDvlCJbFykvYiREomyM-WP5UWFk0A3UtwfXIzC=w1609-h905-no
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ocTG9-LVuXbE8fmztQsk5QFbU5yWsf0OQQpR_GN0-FhzCj0Y8JQbAmkbL8GVWnBxSWWVzLR33GwY3iVRXuOXmD5xaNBZa0pgTuruHh5HNPJ1gHbmrVhudxpGZkAZsYbA6erC5u3BvVZ08M71yJOX_yslKymhHtkm7sOaGY5Vj67Au9B9aEKCNLCSH280UIxouh4AZdf6Rk1TPDeqmCQBpgz3AMA-5htghT7d1lJH5TH4iDWTDNU6c8hnRauNdhMGiuBMacmPwqO802k-DID6aQQhwW-_iseX_9Nia64gxzC-sVOT72mM_gCrld5WZE67w01D5gf8vRBVt1csnFnqMZ1ovU4M5fGRMmdDp_Il-4PtVCfv_lvho0yzOnIdz541DoLmOvt5SKq5FZt_xYnM0zRdTQF_M0oZvLPAcqdTcqR3SF-09DmubDnnYTOYEwNcIPL2-SEvtGEuG39COKvtKOFIn1NteCeYOhaTknzc0L71uTeGJ0ji3JauoGMfj_OHPoaSAK6evocvRqbzGFLPIi45yKrnj7Q7_mPd_eZksR8hnFb_q6_FRf-PA28YBMFEGfGP=w1609-h905-no

View Quote
id like to see the pics, but cant.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics to follow in a few.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ph5AVqAhL3GWY4trwkh7x6M995KCTfXi2qiOhnf_dH9dEeOvxQbKPP53LE0oeVIbuN1gtHQoWErCT-z_cfQayF1zxXlaPE0m109YDwYvYrd7WU44VdKwR2W7iaF7N2WzumakXUvTBqhzXPURrhRRrIMAmYl0gamN3LyTyI2opvMovOPNoD-j_cY5ZCJZcs_Na57Pyx2rWqgWNQL4_-1diobLSKW_XCjp-KYRJqwHeu5n7WtlGr-VsWPZUehs2E1dR8VrZ10L_dnUivXrVCqqHY7Ja3Ysh2Pu7OSK6Uh1JojdWeuAK_KluyLW4Zcx2iuQCZFwTaelaYRl4kqxixZ5Ec_th8yaTUJqqzJXsFXs0RcZdMpWwcxWArEP0sdDAjbXub4FymwjP7wApFoXapiVqDZT08fOFntb-sSkH-Cxw8rESzgyRRbJ3wdfti5YKx6D_KalXFRyXwhU_3Km4nHthlg9kBeiLOdK3Kq3uEkuei4QPIHsJ97GtwFTX9vhYzjaGLgw6tLS6OOaDaFwcN-WL2u731K0ANPDvlCJbFykvYiREomyM-WP5UWFk0A3UtwfXIzC=w1609-h905-no
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ocTG9-LVuXbE8fmztQsk5QFbU5yWsf0OQQpR_GN0-FhzCj0Y8JQbAmkbL8GVWnBxSWWVzLR33GwY3iVRXuOXmD5xaNBZa0pgTuruHh5HNPJ1gHbmrVhudxpGZkAZsYbA6erC5u3BvVZ08M71yJOX_yslKymhHtkm7sOaGY5Vj67Au9B9aEKCNLCSH280UIxouh4AZdf6Rk1TPDeqmCQBpgz3AMA-5htghT7d1lJH5TH4iDWTDNU6c8hnRauNdhMGiuBMacmPwqO802k-DID6aQQhwW-_iseX_9Nia64gxzC-sVOT72mM_gCrld5WZE67w01D5gf8vRBVt1csnFnqMZ1ovU4M5fGRMmdDp_Il-4PtVCfv_lvho0yzOnIdz541DoLmOvt5SKq5FZt_xYnM0zRdTQF_M0oZvLPAcqdTcqR3SF-09DmubDnnYTOYEwNcIPL2-SEvtGEuG39COKvtKOFIn1NteCeYOhaTknzc0L71uTeGJ0ji3JauoGMfj_OHPoaSAK6evocvRqbzGFLPIi45yKrnj7Q7_mPd_eZksR8hnFb_q6_FRf-PA28YBMFEGfGP=w1609-h905-no

I was afraid of that. Google used to let me post my pics, but has decided that it isn't allowed. Guess it is photobucket from here on out!

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you find anything let me know. I just got a 2016 Tacoma Off Road and it's my first off-road type vehicle, so I'd like to see what it can do.
View Quote
Uwharrie was perfect for a first time out! The roads were just enough mud and rough spots that you needed the 4wd, but barely. No worries about actually getting in trouble. Let me get a good feel for the 4wd system. And it isn't very crowded right now because the actual off road trails are all closed (all the dirt "roads" are open though).

I'll be heading up to the Wilson Creek/Linville area in a few weeks. I've spent some time on those gravel roads but never ventured too far because my vehicle wouldn't have taken it. I have a line on a few rough "roads"/trails up there though that I want to try.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Tellico is awesome. But I was in my TJ with front/rear ARBs, 36" Iroks, twin stick Atlas t-case and a 12K winch. Wouldn't dream of trying some of it on a quad or anything that couldn't stand a massive scratch or even a rollover.

I have a whole bunch of pics somewhere, but here's one shot of the TJ...which still didn't make all the obstacles.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/10E658B0-76F9-430B-B0DB-E32217EEEB71_zpsale7hpgf.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tellico is awesome. But I was in my TJ with front/rear ARBs, 36" Iroks, twin stick Atlas t-case and a 12K winch. Wouldn't dream of trying some of it on a quad or anything that couldn't stand a massive scratch or even a rollover.

I have a whole bunch of pics somewhere, but here's one shot of the TJ...which still didn't make all the obstacles.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/10E658B0-76F9-430B-B0DB-E32217EEEB71_zpsale7hpgf.jpg
Sooooooo Im not putting Tellico on my list then yet if you had trouble in that beast

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this what you are talking about? If so, they shut down late last year.

ETA: link fail
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The description says that one is next to the original Tellico OHV area. I know the original one has been closed down a few times...no idea of current status. The TJ I posted has unfortunately been just sitting here for ~8 years, and I haven't kept up with what's still open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is [url=http://www.durhamtowntellico.com]this[/url what you are talking about? If so, they shut down late last year.

The description says that one is next to the original Tellico OHV area. I know the original one has been closed down a few times...no idea of current status. The TJ I posted has unfortunately been just sitting here for ~8 years, and I haven't kept up with what's still open.
This... I started wheeling.... 25 years ago.... I have no clue what's open in the Murphy NC area now.  I just know it was bad ass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top