Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2015 2:53:26 PM EDT
Not as funny as the classic, now-defunct "Die Hipster" blog but still funny.

http://filthyhippies.blogspot.com/
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The highlight of one of our trips was to witness a shirtless homeless man crawling on all fours, projectile vomit on the side walk, in the middle of the day. Was at this over/ under pass.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The highlight of one of our trips was to witness a shirtless homeless man crawling on all fours, projectile vomit on the side walk, in the middle of the day. Was at this over/ under pass.http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120802012504-irpt-street-art-4-horizontal-gallery.jpg

View Quote

That looks suspiciously like S. Lexington Avenue (I-240 overhead). If so, then yeah, a long-time area for vagrants to hang out. Twenty-some years ago there used to be a dive bar just north of your photo that "normal" people did not patronize...just the hardcore bums who'd panhandle the shopping end of the street then go down and get a buzz and come back. In the window as a single neon sign that said, "BEER" because that's all that place served. .

Good times.

On the other side of the street was a short, curved steep street that went up to the rear of the Civic Center (Hiawassee St.). It was where the hookers worked. A seedy motel on that street was where most of them took the Johns. The cops used to do stings there all the time. The WNC Air Quality Agency is now located there.

Good times.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Cadillac
Quoted:

That looks suspiciously like S. Lexington Avenue (I-240 overhead). If so, then yeah, a long-time area for vagrants to hang out. Twenty-some years ago there used to be a dive bar just north of your photo that "normal" people did not patronize...just the hardcore bums who'd panhandle the shopping end of the street then go down and get a buzz and come back. In the window as a single neon sign that said, "BEER" because that's all that place served. .

Good times.

On the other side of the street was a short, curved steep street that went up to the rear of the Civic Center (Hiawassee St.). It was where the hookers worked. A seedy motel on that street was where most of them took the Johns. The cops used to do stings there all the time. The WNC Air Quality Agency is now located there.

Good times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The highlight of one of our trips was to witness a shirtless homeless man crawling on all fours, projectile vomit on the side walk, in the middle of the day. Was at this over/ under pass.http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120802012504-irpt-street-art-4-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Good times.

Good times.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Ashevill has always been home to some weirdos but this guy is their king: Brother Christopher aka "The Mad Monk of Montford"

Here he is giving some sort of "performance" in Pritchard Park.

http://www.journeyamerica.org/People/The-Mad-Monk-of-Montford/i-rnq5hsF

His hair appears to be one giant blonde-grey dreadlock.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Asheville is know as the "Freak Capitol of the World" and the "San Francisco of the east". Go downtown and you will understand why. LOL
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
it's a trade off. the hippie/hipster/weirdo crowd here is frustrating yes

however, without their influence the food and beer wouldn't be what it is.

i'm not a big fan of the transplants, but it keeps my wife's business booming......  

it's definitely interesting here, but I do wish the transplants would have a bit more respect for those actually from here
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
When I relocated "South of the Border" in 1993, Asheville's redevelopment had only recently begun. Pritchard Park was nothing more than a bus stop and hangout for a few vagrants.

The hippie/liberal faction of Asheville has never much cared for the more conservative population who live in outlying areas.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
first trip to Asheville I was like so this is where all the ASU graduates move to

they have good beers downtown, the panhandlers are just a pain in the ass, and the hippies are cute for about 30 seconds and then you notice how bad they smell

only good thing?

The panhandlers and hippies are not inside Wicked Weeds or Thirsty Monks
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all fun and games until the trust funds run out.

I used to lift weights (12 oz. at a time) at both Mitchell's Pub (north end) and Mack Kells (Tunnel Road). Mitchell's closed years ago but Mack Kells is still doing it. Neither were hippie hangouts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Mitchells was a good bar.
thursday night $5 crab legs
I worked at grove park inn, and we would all go there and get silly
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My favorite was wing night.  The wife and I went at least every other Tuesday from 2004 till they closed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

it's a trade off. the hippie/hipster/weirdo crowd here is frustrating yes

however, without their influence the food and beer wouldn't be what it is.

i'm not a big fan of the transplants, but it keeps my wife's business booming......  

it's definitely interesting here, but I do wish the transplants would have a bit more respect for those actually from here
View Quote

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Although I have noticed that the hippie/hipster/weirdo crowd have migrated to W. Asheville instead of downtown, I guess the building owners can get a better lease rate from a legitimate business than from a hippie store.  But you are right, I don't know of any other city this size with such a vast amount of great food and beer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My favorite was wing night.  The wife and I went at least every other Tuesday from 2004 till they closed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I warmed the bar stools there from 1990 until 1993. Does that make me a plank-owner?
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Over the summer I drove out west. I was supposed to spend my first night in Asheville. After eating my dinner I decided to just spend a few more hours in the car to make it to Knoxville. I didn't  want to spend anymore time in such a weird, hipstery place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top