Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 4:24:33 PM EDT
About 3hr 15min from home in Summerville, SC. Stopped at a Shell to get gas in East Flat Rock. Gas was coming out super slow and I joked about how it looks like water. Got about .5gal in and decided to go across the street to Exxon to fill the remaining since my wife needed gas as well, and I wasn't waiting around for an hour. Made it 100ft to intersection of Commercial Blvd. and Upward Rd. when the bike died. Refuses to restart.

We are completely unfamiliar with this area. We are waiting on a tow truck to take it to a dealer, but they are closed today. I can't stay with it and miss work tomorrow. Not really sure wtf to do.

Any locals care to swing by and take a look at it? Give me a shoulder to cry on? -Josh

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of bike?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry. 2014 Kawasaki zx6r.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
power commander?

will it turn over, and just not fire?
or nothiing when you press the starter button?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing except for a slipon exhaust.

It cranks. On one attempt it started for about 4 seconds, and idled slower until it died.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
gas is turned on?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
gas is turned on?
View Quote

Not sure how/if it can even be turned off.

Nothing was messed with. Left Tail of the Dragon, rode great, stopped for gas, and not even 100ft. later it's done. Nothing was touched/changed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
gas cap on tight?

just going down the list.
was a race mechanic in a former life.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, cap is tight and locked.

I appreciate any and all help. So, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
you may have gotten some water with your gas, as it has been raining quite a lot here.
if that is the case, the water will eventually go to the bottom of the tank.
you can try draining some of the gas out of the tank.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
a weak battery will do this, too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
MR is closed on Mondays as well.

Dal Kawa is in Hendersonville a few miles from where you are and is a great shop. My cousin is actually a tech there.  are you stuck at the shell now?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely crappy gas. This bottle had 0 water in it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
did you drain that out of the tank?

shit thats a lot of water!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope. That is what my wife got out of the pump after she went back to the store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
whatcha gonna do now?
if you can drain the crappy gas out you might be OK
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Called insurance and opened a claim. They are sending someone out in the morning to look at it and see where to go from here.

I don't have tools to pull and drain tank.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]
whatcha gonna do with the bike? do you have a place to store it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Sitting at dealer outside their service department. Going to find a hotel, and be back up here in the morning before they open to explain what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#19]
the mountain inn near where you broke down is pretty good.

if you need a dinner recommendation,  feel free to ask.

did they take it to Dal Kawa? pretty good shop
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Would have been glad to help you next weekend- I'm from there and will be driving back Friday from CO for a few weeks to visit family.  If for whatever reason you aren't fixed by then hit me up.  Have a free couch I'm sure my folks wouldn't mind you crashing on

Oh and eat at Hot Dog World while you're there!  Its right beside Dal-Kawa
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It isn't at Dal. Where it is has good reviews so we'll see. We are trying to find a hotel nearby. Already called out from work. Feeling slightly better now.

And thanks, jerrmy. Hopefully it is fixed before then! If not I'll be coming back with a trailer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Doubleplusgood,TurboSam, and jerrmy - thanks for taking time to respond, ask questions, give suggestions, etc. It means a lot!

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
hot dog world is heaven on earth......
slaw dog w/ mustard, chili, onions
tater tot and a sweet tea........
Steve does a hell of a business....
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#25]
We'll have to swing by. Love me a good hotdog!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like the fuel tank at first station was nearly empty, the pump runs really slow when it nears empty, and, could explain the water, being pumped from tanks bottom.
(is how the pumps at a station I worked at acted when low--------that was almost 40 years ago)
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks to MR Motorcycle Asheville all it cost me was one nights stay in a hotel, and a few thanks yous and handshakes. They siphoned the tank, put fresh gas in, and tried to start it. Nope. Pulled it into a smaller room in the service bay, and said, "why don't you two go sit up front, and we'll bring it out when it's running." About 15 more minutes of me pacing back and forth, and out comes my new best friend riding my bike.

Still runs like it did before that gas stop. Runs, idles, starts/stops just as before. Just made it back home to Summerville.

Finally, a happy ending to one of my adventures! Wouldn't be a vacation without some drama.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks to MR Motorcycle Asheville all it cost me was one nights stay in a hotel, and a few thanks yous and handshakes. They siphoned the tank, put fresh gas in, and tried to start it. Nope. Pulled it into a smaller room in the service bay, and said, "why don't you two go sit up front, and we'll bring it out when it's running." About 15 more minutes of me pacing back and forth, and out comes my new best friend riding my bike.

Still runs like it did before that gas stop. Runs, idles, starts/stops just as before. Just made it back home to Summerville.

Finally, a happy ending to one of my adventures! Wouldn't be a vacation without some drama.
View Quote

Yep, some of my 'worst', are now the most memorable, not at the time though.
Nothing like being cold and wet for a few weeks. (Taught me the value of a Good Rain suit and slip on rubber over boots!)
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sounds like the fuel tank at first station was nearly empty, the pump runs really slow when it nears empty, and, could explain the water, being pumped from tanks bottom.
(is how the pumps at a station I worked at acted when low--------that was almost 40 years ago)
View Quote

Supposedly most/all gas stations these days have several preventative measures in place to prevent gas with certain % of water from even being pumped. Sounds very likely.

I have no idea if that is true with the station I used, but I do know the sequence of events yesterday, and the only logical explanation the shop and I could come up with was I pumped some nasty stuff in my tank - which was evident from the Mt. Dew/salad dressing looking liquid not only my wife pumped from the same pump, but what was pulled from my tank.

Kind of makes me want to carry around a small clear container to pump a few oz of gas into prior to putting it in my tanks in the future - to check for fuel/water separtion. Probably overkill.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nothing like being cold and wet for a few weeks. (Taught me the value of a Good Rain suit and slip on rubber over boots!)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just learned that same lesson this trip! A waterproof/windproof camo jacket from Kmart(didn't know they were still around) kept me from freezing to death after the rain in SC hit me.

Proper rain gear will be my next investment. Seeing the Harleys and cruisers riding past dry without a care in the world made me feel like a 'tard. All hunched over and shivering. Lesson learned!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#31]
that gas station has been there a long time, who knows the condition of the in ground tanks, and with the amount of rain we've had it's not out of the realm that their system got contaminated.  Glad you got going, wish I could have been more help
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#32]
glad you made it home, bro!!
ahhhh.... motorcycling adventures.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad you got squared away!  MR Cycle are good people too!  

Not looking forward to my 1500 mile drive tomorrow!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top